“Fall colors”

Switzerland of America Tours
Ranked #2 of 10 Tours in Ouray
More attraction details
Owner description: Providing high quality 4x4 Jeep adventures in the San Juan Mountains since 1962. Enjoy the diverse history, mountain summits and colorful meadows by guided 4x4 tour, or Jeep Wrangler. Please visit us at the blue, red and white building at 226 7th Avenue in Ouray, Colorado.
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We have camped in Ouray for years and normally rented a jeep. This year we took the easy route, stayed in a hotel and took the fall foilage tour with Switzerland of America. Wish we had done this sooner having a driver really adds to the enjoyment of off roading. No need to concentrate on the road, worry about damage to the vehicle and cleaning it up afterwards.

Add to that the local history and knowing the best places to stop for photos and you have a truly wonderful experience.

All reviews
"day tour"
in 5 reviews
"alpine loop"
in 9 reviews
"highly recommend this company"
in 6 reviews
"take photos"
in 5 reviews
"high altitude"

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Arrived in Ouray first week of October (off season). No scheduled tours advertised. Checked Tour Advisor and found good reviews for this company. Called and spoke with Brandy, who worked with us to plan a half-day jeep tour to Imogene Pass. Brandy's words were: "if you are only in Ouray this one time--then Imogene Pass is the tour you would want to take". She explained that Imogene Pass is 13,000+ high and usually not accessible at this time of year. Our driver was Don. Don was great. His driving was A+...My husband did not have a panic attack. Best part was how don would stop and tell us the history and stories of different mines. He even had a binder of photos to show the difference between then and now. Price was good--AAA discount! Don offered blankets (gets REALLY cold up there) and "tree stops" because there was only one portapotty stop going up. (Was drinking lots of water to keep hydrated) Great fall foilage colors along the way. Don took pics of us at the top. Great experience. recommend this highly.

1  Thank babalam
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We did an afternoon jeep safari with Switzerland of America at the beginning of October, just two of us, Don was our guide. We went to Lake Como, no not the one in Italy, this one is near Ouray, we travelled over Corkscrew Pass and got up to nearly 13000 ft . It was a fantastic experience. Don is very knowledgeable, explained about the mining history of the area and made it a really special trip for us. He is also a very friendly and sincere person and we would definitely recommend this company. If you are staying in the Ouray area it is well worth taking a safari with Switzerland of America.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I finally did a jeep trip by SOA to Black Bear Pass!! I did a jeep trip with them in 2010 to Imogene Pass and loved it. Since it's only a 4 (and Black Bear is a 5), I resolved to do this when I was in Ouray again. It was absolutely incredible. Bob Ross is a phenomenal jeep driver (I wish I had his skills and expertise!), and going down the "steps" was not only scary but amazing. We then did the switchbacks to Bridal Veil Falls above Telluride and the rest was easy, believe it or not. After lunch, we started our ascension to Imogene Pass. It was so interesting to reach Tom Boy, and to hear Bob's stories about the camp. In fact, it was so interesting to hear Bob's stories about all of the history along this trip. That is just one of the things that makes taking a jeep trip with SOA absolutely the best: all of the drivers give you all of the history. I've had a trip with Chad, Don, and Bob, and they're all sensational, and I would never hesitate to take a trip with either of them again. In fact, I probably will in another year,
looking at 2014. Thank you, Bob, upon your advice, I bought the book "Tomboy Bride", and I absolutely loved it.

I look forward to seeing you in 2014.!! Thanks, Ellen

See more reviews
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Michael was our guide. He picked us up at the Lodge along with another couple which we came to find out traveled as much if not more than we do. It was a perfect match as Michael seemed to key in on that right away and set us up for a great morning touring the old mining areas with a special trip up to Clear Lake. His knowledge of the area may only be out done by Google and that's a stretch! He took great care in our safety and didn't bounce us all around in the back. With the weather a bit chilly, he even took care to have blankets and not speed down the road...everything was very comfortable where it could have been otherwise with a less skilled operator. To get to know the people you tour with along with the guide themselves always is a big part of the enjoyment of these type trips. We had a great time!

Been to Switzerland of America Tours? Share your experiences!