“Can't say.....???”

Silver Nugget Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We wanted to eat breakfast here as it was highly recommended, but when we arrived, their doors were locked up at about 11 AM. They supposedly make the best eggs benedict around, but we never had the opportunity.

There are newer reviews for Silver Nugget Cafe

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Just DON'T eat here!!! Absolutely the worst place we've ever eaten. Don't know how this business can keep it's doors open. The waitress was completely clueless and the dude doing the cooking cut the hot dog my husband ordered in half and fried it to a crisp and then walked out of the kitchen and headed for the front door and the waitress told him I still needed my soup (honestly, I was surprised she cared). My son's hamburger was also in edible. The meat was rancid.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We have traveled to Ouray about 8 times over the years and have had breakfast at the Nugget routinely.
Stopped in early August with some relatives, confident we'd enjoy a good breakfast before hitting the road. The greeter / waiter/ server was also the entertainment with his saggy pants, plaid boxers and spaced out approach to the day. Service was slow - no coffee refills, wrong toast, three of four servings came out followed by the fourth about 10 minutes later as we were finishing. The gentleman must have sensed our irritation because when he brought the check he said he had waived the normal 20% gratuity in case our service was not up to expectations.
The menu clearly stated that a 20% gratuity would be added for parties of 5 or more! WE HAD FOUR. The math on the check was also incorrect but we paid and hustled out as I'm not really looking for confrontations while on vacation. We were offered a free bumper sticker however, and shown how to remove the backing, place it on a chair, and have someone sit on it and wear it the rest of the day. Intriguing but we passed on that one. The next day I offered to take our party back for an omlet. They all just laughed. I think the only regular returnees that the Silver Nugget will have in the future are the flies.

1  Thank Gregg1949
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Like the last reviewer, we've been coming to this area (and this restaurant), for the past 35 years. This cafe was never 5-star, but it was always dependably nice. We hadn't eaten here for a few years, so I'm not sure when the big shift happened, but the place is truly horrible now. I don't think I've had a worse experience eating out! We had planned to eat at the Artisan Bakery, which is just a small place but with the best food, but they were closed for the week (gone fishing!). We were hungry and our other old breakfast haunt was gone, so we decided to try the Nugget. BIG mistake!!! The flies were worse than in a barnyard! They had redecorated and had a bunch of big so-so landscape photos on the wall with signs under them that looked like a kid wrote them (but with very high price tags). A person who we assumed to be the owner had been sitting at one of the tables with a flyswatter. Another guy came to take our order but could hardly be bothered. They had no decaf coffee. The back part of the restaurant felt like we were in Mexico, two Latinas sitting eating, yakking in Spanish, with some Mexican music blaring. I had to use the bathroom - the wall paper was half peeled off, the toilet ran non-stop. The food was OK but way too expensive. On the way out, I wanted to tell the few people coming in "don't do it!!!!! go back, go back!!!!" I don't know what happened to ruin this place so entirely so quickly - did the head person die? Did the person running the place become an alcoholic/drug addict? Very sad.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

My family and I have been visiting Ouray, CO for the past 30 years and the Silver Nugget has been a traditional breakfast spot- until this year. Prior to arriving, we'd heard mediocre reviews but thought we'd give it a try anyway for breakfast. The manager (I assume that's what he was)appeared out of nowhere from outside and quickly sat us but didn't have enough menus for the 11 of us. There was a older dog wandering around the dinning room and the smells eminating from the kitchen were questionable. Evenutally the dog made it's way under our table, probably expecting scraps. The menu consisted of very few items to choose from and all were standard eggs, meat and hashbrowns. I asked for fruit instead of toast and was met with "well, we don't really have fruit but I'll come up with something." Hmm. One member of the group asked for orange juice and when it was brought out the manager said "sorry, we didn't have enough orange juice so we added apple juice. Don't worry, it tastes fine." What? Did he sip it out of the glass prior to bringing it to the table?! The food came out and when he set my Mom's plate in front of her, she pointed out that the eggs were not cooked how she ordered. The response: "I can get you others but you can go ahead and eat those." Eventually the 'fruit' I ordered came out- frozen strawberries and blackberries that had just been nuked in the microwave. I'd rather have been told they didn't have fruit and I wouldn't have bothered. Finally, they don't accept credit cards. That wasn't a big deal on this trip but the 'manager' had to scrounge for change for my Mom's bill and she made note that it did not come out of a cash register, it came out of dude's pocket. Needless to say, I'm sorry we stayed through the whole meal. After years and memories of good food and good service, I was very dissapointed. Oh yeah, and the flies.