“Simple, cozy Ouray motel”
Review of River's Edge Motel

River's Edge Motel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Ouray
New York City, New York
“Simple, cozy Ouray motel”
Reviewed September 3, 2008

I came through Ouray on short notice and River's Edge was the one motel able to accommodate me. The name is actually one of the few truths in advertising I've ever encountered. The eponymous edge of the river was just a few feet from the door of my room. The spa was a nice treat that let me and my girlfriend enjoy the experience of a chilly Ouray night. Room was clean, not too cramped, came with a fridge. Great place to stay in Ouray.

• Liked — The location and views were excellent
  • Disliked — An in-room A/C unit would be nice, but wasn't a dealbreaker in the mild Ouray weather
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank the_danilo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 26, 2007

In peak season, space in a pet-friendly motel in Ouray is hard to find. Motel is on the river, two blocks from the center of downtown. All rooms on the back side have a marvelous view of the "Ouray Bowl." We had a small room with a kitchenette. Room was clean, Queen bed was comfortable. Small fridge, two burners, sink. TV service is limited. Wireless internet worked well. Great pet-walk area just north of the motel. Free bags of ice for your cooler.
Some caveats: no AC, so in summer you leave the windows open for some ventilation. They allow smoking on the balcony on both levels. Metal steps (for winter maintenance) were very hard to negotiate for our dog. Limited parking for large vehicles or trailers. Recommend 2nd-floor room for quiet. We had none of the service problems others have described.

• Liked — Location / View
  • Disliked — Smoking allowed on balcony
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Seattle_Hiker
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 16, 2007

My husband and I have been to Ouray several times, usually staying at a bed and breakfast or the Ouray Chalet. When, on short notice, we decided to visit, we called several hotels/motels in town. When we contacted the River's Edge the first time, we were told they were booked for 2 of the 3 nights we were requesting. We called back two weeks before our trip to see if things had changed, and we were told "nothing was available." We then called another hotel in town, and the lady told us to try the River's Edge. We informed her that they were booked. She then told us that she also booked for the River's Edge, and they had several rooms available. Upon arrival, we were "greeted" by rude and aloof staff. Our room was small and dingy with paper-thin walls. The first night, there were children running up and down the porch, doors slamming, and someone calling our room and hanging up in the middle of the night. The hot tub is scalding hot, the vending machine steals your money, and it is a $500 charge if you leave your dog in your room to go grab a bite to eat. There is no air-conditioning, like several hotels in Ouray, but this one is directly across from an R.V. park with smoky campfires burning day and night. When I complained about the noise, I was told "doll, any time you stay in a hotel, just call the cops if the neighbors are noisy. It's not our problem, that's just the service industry." We are currently battling, because they have charged our credit card double the rate for the room. NEVER STAY AT THE RIVER'S EDGE!!!!

• Liked — It was available.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank Odile19
colorado
Reviewed December 31, 2006

We've been to Ouray many, many times. We had stayed in this hotel before, but I guess it was with prior ownership or prior management. The front desk person was rude. The room above us sounded like it would come down through our ceiling -- children running around NONSTOP for hours. We called the front desk to complain a few times, but nothing was done. The room was nice, but there was no way to turn the heater down. We turned it "OFF", but it was 80+ degrees in the room. We had to sleep with the window open in January! We tried to use the hot tub, but it was so filthy (Cloudy water, Scum ring around the hot tub), that we were afraid to get in it.
When we mentioned the problems at checkout, we were told that we shouldn't have come to Ouray to try to relax and rest! We'll be back to Ouray, but NOT TO THE RIVER'S EDGE.

• Disliked — NOISE
  • Tips/Secrets — stay somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank hikerColorado
Mill Valley, CA
Reviewed October 24, 2005

I chose this place because of the price and that they accepted pets.
From the first phone call to my departure, I felt I was dealing with good people and a "special" place. They were extremely friendly and I really felt it was genuine. The building is first rate, the room was better than I expected for the price and it's in a fine location for walking. It's quiet too. AND, something you rarely find: the other guests were very sociable. The place somehow attracts serious and interesting travelers who are anxious to share their experiences. They were not mindless "tourists". This is the kind of place you start planning to get back to almost as soon as you leave it. It's not lavish, it's just "real".

11 Thank fredcarl
lake havasu city, az
Reviewed July 29, 2005

We stayed at the River's Edge Monday through Thursday nights and it was absolutely perfect for us. I really liked the location, close to everything but not on a busy street. We slept with the windows open every night and we could hear the river flowing right behind our room, very peaceful and relaxing. We stayed in a room that came with a full kitchen and it had everything we needed, which came in very handy since we were travelling with our 2 year old. I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it to others. The limited contact we had with the staff was nothing but enjoyable. All around a great place!

• Stayed July 2005
12 Thank jiff926
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 22, 2003

Avoid this place. When I made my reservation, I was told that their cancellation policy was noon the day before. When I cancelled about 1 week in advance, I was told the cancellation policy was 2 weeks. They said they would only charge me 1/2 the normal cancellation fee, but I did not agree with this. I immediately called my credit card company, but the motel had run the charge while I was on the phone with them. Turns out they have different peak and off-peak cancellation policies. I made peak period reservation before the peak season, and I believe I was told the off-peak cancellation policy by mistake. I even provided a copy of the hand written notes I made for our trip indicating what I was told.

• Stayed June 2002