“Nice clean place in a great spot”
Review of Ouray Chalet Inn

Ouray Chalet Inn
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Ouray
Ouray, Colorado
“Nice clean place in a great spot”
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Very nice privately operated motel. Would recommend for anyone looking for a simple, peaceful night

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
colorado
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Spent one night, but the room was perfect. Clean and roomy. It was quiet and beds very comfortable. Nothing to complain about. It was a very good price and they had a coupon for 10% off on there web site.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Ok for just a one night stop over. Simple and out dated in decor but not a bad price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
Reviewed August 7, 2009

We stayed here two nights on our return trip from Seattle. It is an older lodging as others have mentioned, but the rooms are fairly spacious and comfortable. Ours appeared very clean, but was compromised by a very stained carpet which appeared to need a good cleaning or replacement. We were here on Friday and Saturday nights, so the fact that it was quite noisy may have been related to that. On Friday night, there was a live band playing across the street until quite late, and it was loud. Both nights, there were people talking and laughing outside the rooms and in the parking lot. We were forced to turn the AC on simply to block out the noise, not because we needed it. These are factors which the owners likely have little control over, but they still do affect the quality of one's stay.

The TV has limited stations, and the internet signal in our room was erratic. Sometimes, it was just fine; other times, it was so slow that you could nap while waiting for something to load, and occasionally, it wouldn't connect at all. Nope, not my computer--brand new Macbook with the most current wireless technology, and it works fine in other lodgings.

The location here is great for being near shops and restaurants as it's right in the heart of town. And if you like mountain views, they certainly abound right out your windows. There also is a hot tub for guest use, but we didn't use it, so I can't speak to the quality of that.

I did have an issue at check-out as I was not aware that no one would be at the desk to check people out until 7:30 a.m. According to the owner, EVERYONE is told this at check-in, so I guess I somehow missed this information, though I'm usually very cognizant of check-in/check-out times and cancellation policies. I must have missed it in the rather extensive handbook in the room also as all I recall seeing in there was that someone was available 24 hours a day on site. Mistakenly, I took that to mean desk coverage, I guess. When I came to check out shortly after 7 a.m., I was greeted by a sign on the door with its little hands pointing to 7:30. Since we had a long way to travel that day, I picked up the phone outside and asked an unhappy, I'm sure, owner how I could get my receipt as we needed to leave. His first response was that I could get it at 7:30--in other words, stand around and wait for 20 minutes/half hr. He did, however, then come down and give me my receipt. My suggestion: Post a sign in an obvious place in each room as to desk hours--it's done in the other places we've stayed which don't have 24-hr. desk coverage. Seven-thirty is a late time for check-out and people need to be aware, especially since there is no continental breakfast here, and stopping for breakfast takes additional time.

All in all, this isn't a bad place to stay. I'd probably opt for one of the chain motels next time, however, as this one isn't really that much cheaper when you factor in having to pay for your own breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dbeauc
texas
Reviewed July 6, 2009

The motel was simple and nice, but showed some wear and tear. It was clean. The owners were very pleasant. Enjoyed having a bench outside our room to sit and enjoy the evening cool air. Since it was a small place, you talked with other visitors sitting outside or around the picnic table. The amenities were sufficient, nothing fancy. Not a lot of room to move around. Good location on main street. Must go to the hot springs, nice walk down and back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Iowa
Reviewed July 4, 2009

We stayed one night at the Ouray Chalet. It was just ok, nothing special at all. The carpeting in our room is in need of stretching. The decor is dated and the lighting makes it very difficult to read. It is reasonable, but I think there might be better places.

If you are looking for a great place to eat at reasonable prices, stay away from the Outlaw. The prices are very high for the mediocre food. Walk to the next block where the theatre is and eat at Papillon, a New Orleans restuarant. Great food at a resonable price

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Vestal, New York
Reviewed July 1, 2009

I stayed here two nights. The room was average but clean and the bed was comfortable. The piped in musiv was a nice feature but I would trade it for a decent continental breakfast. - this motel has none and this was my biggest complaint.
The owners were nice and the property well card for. Shpos, restaurants and Cascade Falls are within walking distance; although this would be true for all lodging in town as it is small. but charming and the setting is awesome.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo