“This One Has Seen Better Days”
Review of Ouray Chalet Inn

Ouray Chalet Inn
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Ouray
Florida
“This One Has Seen Better Days”
Reviewed October 2, 2007

Ouray is a great location to stay if you’re touring the San Juan Mountains area of Colorado. It’s a small historic town, so choices for hotels are limited. I chose the Chalet Inn due to TripAdvisor recommendations. The rate was very good (about $65/night) and it was located in the center of the little town within walking distance to shops and restaurants. The Bon Ton restaurant in the basement of the St. Elmo Hotel a block away was pretty good.

The hotel is run by very conscientious management. So you’ll find clean rooms and helpful staff. However, this is a very old hotel and the room I had for 3 nights was comparable to a guest room in your grandmother’s house. The room was small with a tiny bathroom and had very old furnishings. There was even piped in lounge music from the fifties and sixties through a speaker on the wall (which can be turned off fortunately!). The room I was given was in the basement portion of this 2 story hotel, but there was natural light coming from a window looking into the back of the property. However, I could hear the guest above me walking around at 5:30 a.m., so noise may be an issue for you.

Now being more familiar with Ouray, I would look into spending a little more money and staying at one of the other hotels within a two minute walk of this one. Not that there’s anything really wrong with this hotel if you’re comfortable with old furnishings and a no-frill stay. It’s quiet and cared for, just not a place where you’ll want to spend much time in your room.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Worn Down
  • Stayed September 2007
4 Thank Florida-Images

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Reviewed September 4, 2007

It is now early in September 2007, and I've already spent approx. 80 nights in hotels on three continents. For my needs, the Ouray Chalet Inn ranks right up there with lodging at three times the price. Its location in downtown Ouray is as central as it gets. But for me, the best aspect was the super-high-speed internet connection.

Most hotel owners/managers don't yet realize that we are in the Digital Age and true broadband connections are a utility just like running water and electricity. I was amazed to find the wireless connection at the Chalet Inn is among the fastest I have encountered anywhere. Even though it is a DSL connection, I had download speeds of 4.5mbg. Yes, it does matter that the hotel is across the street from the Qwest headend site, but it was still mighty impressive. Of course, the beds are great, too. The bathroom a bit cramped, but hey, for those speeds and the downtown location, I'll be back again.

• Liked — Internet speeds
  • Disliked — Bathroom too cramped
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jtjohnson
Yellville, Arkansas
Reviewed September 2, 2007

stayed at this place for a week and had a great time room was very clean and housekeeping & staff was very nice , room was a little out dated tho but would stay there again.

• Liked — staff very nice & clean room
  • Disliked — room a little out dated
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank littlehouse99
Denver, CO
Reviewed July 25, 2007

We had a room that faced the mountains and it was a great thing to wake up to. It was a cozy room and the staff was very friendly and helpful. My only complaint would be that the beds were sorta hard.. I love soft beds and need them for my back. But husband had no complaints about it so I guess it's just me. We were otherwise very happy with our stay.

• Liked — The view, the staff, the coziness of the rooms, the location
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable bed
  • Stayed October 2004, traveled as a couple
2 Thank westernroadwarrior
Annandale, VA
Reviewed July 3, 2007

It was much more than I expected! Beautiful mountain views surrounded the hotel. The parking lot was tight but I was still able to park. The road dips down on the side as you go into the parking lot; not sure how that affects driving in snow. The woman at the hotel desk when I arrived was very nice and helped me determine whether to go on the Million dollar highway drive first or walk the town. The room was clean and great! I also had a balcony overlooking the main street and I kept opening the curtains to take a peak at the mountains in the background. The hotel was a two level place and had no elevator that I could see so if you have a lot of bags, that might be tough if you're on the second floor. I felt like I was in a different world and it was wonderful. The stores and restaurants were within blocks of the hotel and easy to reach. I had dinner at the Western Hotel, out on the patio and saw different mountain ranges around me.

I would totally recommend this hotel in the future and would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Surrounding Views, proximity to town, cleanliness, friendliness of hotel staff
  • Disliked — no elevator but even that's reaching for something to say
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank mjbbowls
TINLEY PARK
Reviewed May 18, 2007

This motel is immaculate! What a fun place to stay. Hostess/owner Lora "S" made our stay even more enjoyable, with her warm personality and knowledge of everything "Ouray". (And she's not even a native---Lora didn't move to Ouray until she was nine months old!) Lora made my wife, Pat, and our Boston Terrier, Farrah, feel right at home. We had a most lovely second floor room with a balcony overlooking Ouray's great main street. The room was spacious, the bed was super comfy, there is a wonderful bathroom and shower, refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, and a great, relaxing table for cocktail hour, too! Believe me, this place is worth each of it's coveted three AAA diamonds!

You can walk down the block in back of the motel, and you're within two minutes of the beautiful Uncompahgre River. And, there is never a need to use your car to shop or eat---everything is within two blocks of the motel.Lora was right on the mark with three very good restaurant recommendations. When Pat and I dined at Outlaws Steakhouse, I could almost feel the "Duke's" presence, as it was here in Ouray that he filmed "True Grit." This is where he ate, and this is where he hung his famous hat (seen behind the bar). I can't wait to come back to Ouray again, in a little over a year from now, to take a Swiss jeep trip up into the mountain backroads with my son, Jim---you can never see enough beauty or "ghost towns" while in Colorado!

We did sorta get stranded in a snowstorm in Ouray---I-70 was closed when we needed to get to Denver and beyond. But, if you have to be stranded, I couldn't think of a nicer town or motel. You certainly won't go hungry, as there are so many restaurants, delis, bakeries and candy shops. The "mom & pop" grocery store is the only grocery store in town (you park your car diagonally, right out in front, on Main Street---right where they used to "park" their horses a hundred years ago). And the "General Store" (mercantile) is right out of "Little House On The Prairie". They sell every imaginable item there.

The pictures I took of this "Winter Wonderland in May" would make Norman Rockwell eat his heart out. If you've never been to Ouray before, then "What are you waiting for?" Next time, I'm definitely gonna soak for a few hours in the natural Hot Springs at the end of town. (Could ten-thousand Native American Utes be wrong?)Then it's back to my relaxing room at the Ouray Chalet for some delicious cocktails, hors 'de ouvres, and more local Ouray "chat" with owner Lora!!!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mathgenius
Cherokee, OK
Reviewed April 24, 2007

You can park your car and forget it. This hotel is located in the heart of Main Street. You can walk to shops and restaurants nearby. The rooms are large, comfortable, and well decorated. I stay here two or three times a year. Some rooms have dividers from the bedroom to the dressing area which is great when touring with the family. The hotel is one of three, three diamond properties in town. Even so their prices are very reasonable. Your host, Steve and Laura have discounted activity passes available for sale in the office. You will find the property impeccably maintained and I highly recommend it for your stay.

• Liked — Great property
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple