“Don't expect spa elegance”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ouray
Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa & Lodgings
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Ouray
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We just stayed 2 days over labor day weekend at the Wiesbaden. We had to stay in the double bed room as all others were booked before we called for reservations. By the time lodging taxes were added on, our room was over $140.00 per night. The room was very, very tiny. No closet, just a metal rack on the wall to hang clothes, towels from the pool, etc. There is no central air so we kept our window open at all times but it was VERY stuffy in our room. The sink was in the bedroom with a mirror over it. The bathroom was small with a shower stall and toilet. The carpet was the worst I have ever seen in a place that touts itself as a spa. I would not even stay in a $50.00 a night room if it had carpet like that. Totally worn out. The bed was very hard. Also, they do have 13 inch TV's in each room. Ours was on a small stand in a corner at the foot of the bed. We found some books to put under the TV so it would be high enough to see over our own feet as we lay in bed (the only place to get since there is no room any where else for one's body). Our suitcase sat on the small straight backed chair right in front of the door to the bathroom.
The pool was wonderful. The vapor caves must be great, but we did not partake as we didn't want to get that hot.
Be warned that they do let people in who just want to pay for the pool so you will get people with children as long as they are over 5 yrs. of age.
This whole place is very tired and worn looking and the lobby gives the appearance of just being too crowded and small. Dark wood in the lobby areas which some people like; I just don't. But if you want quiet, it is that for sure. It is what I would call adequate (except for the carpet) but it is way overpriced for what it has to offer.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Odeliasimone

Reviewed August 16, 2008

My wife and I just spent two nights at this property and enjoyed our stay tremendously. We were in the Sunroom ($200/night) and although I think it was a little overpriced for the facilities provided, the experience was very pleasurable. We loved the comfortable king-sized bed in the Sunroom and the furnishings were extremely tasteful. It was very evident that substantial work was done to this room within the past year (new wood work, renovated bathroom, etc) so earlier negative reports may not be valid today.

After reading some other reviews on this site (after having sent my deposit in), I was fearful that I'd made a mistake, but my fears were unfounded. Linda (the owner) was very friendly to us and made sure our stay was pleasurable. The only two downsides I could think of is there was no air conditioning and the piano was out of tune <grin>. I found the vapor cave too hot for my tastes, but that's a personal preference. If you're a fan of wet saunas, you'd probably be in heaven down there. The outdoor pool, on the other hand, is heaven-on-earth, especially in the cool Ouray summer-evening air.

I will qualify my review by saying this property is not a business-class corporate hotel. This is an 1879-era property whose room sizes and corridors, etc, are much smaller than you'll find in today's ADA-compliant hotels and motels. WiFi access was great to my wife's Mac, but my PC wasn't able to connect--but really, if you're on vacation in Ouray, what on earth do you need the Internet for?!

We *will* be back!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Peter D
Reviewed August 14, 2008

We booked the hotel at $200 a night. expecting that value, we arrived and after being given a list of how we would be charged extra for about 12 infractions, we were taken aback. Then to check in with the most unfriendly, unwelcoming manager who proceeded to keep admonishing us that we couldn't smoke. We told her we were non smokers and she continued to berate us. We were given robes, and when asked if they had larger robes, were told no, that most normal people fit in the robes and we didn't have to use them. No shampoo or soap in the bathrooms, but we could BUY some. Tried to set up a spa massage only to find they had 1 person and she was booked. Each time I entered the office area to buy cokes or whatever, I was greeted with a glare and no comments to me at all. Bed was so hard we had a backache each night and finally left early. It was a horrible place. Would NEVER go back.

1. list of infractions we'd be charged extra for given at check in
2. Lectures over and over again on smoking (we are non-smokers)
3. unfriendly unwelcoming management
4. No shampoo or soap in bathrooms
5. hard beds resulting in backaches

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
13  Thank 1redroseNm
Reviewed July 22, 2008

My husband and I "found" this place in 1987 and typically stayed here once a year. It used to be a fun, laid back place for us to visit. Our last stay was in 2005 - we booked the cabin up on the hill behind the main lodge. We paid approx. $200.00 +/-. It's so "rustic" that bugs kept falling out of the exposed-beam roof onto our bed, the shower etc. Yuck. No complimentary shampoo/conditioner/lotion in the bathroom but they'll gladly sell you some quality spa products in the lobby.

But that's only part of the reason we no longer stay at the Wiesbaden. We've found that the owner/manager/employees are too full of themselves. Perhaps its because they were briefly mentioned in a national travel magazine a few years ago...?

The last few years we were met with a ho-hum attitude at check-in and check out. I got the sense the owner/manager could care less about our visit..we were just another payment to them. We were given a list of rules when the reservation was made about the deposit, cancellation refund, payment, pets, how late the pool can be used etc. (Note: if you are a smoker, even if you don't smoke at the hotel, they will not let you stay). The rooms are tired and small, the lobby is tired. We do love and miss the outdoor pool, but it's not worth the over inflated price and dismal owner/management/employee attitude.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled as a couple
13  Thank fortfungrad
Reviewed October 22, 2007

At three in the morning my husband and I both found ourselves still unable to get comfortable on the rock hard bed we paid $140 to sleep on. Since we live only 40 miles away, we decided to go home and get some sleep. Rather than wake up the staff to complain, I decided to call on Monday and speak to the manager about it. I was very, very disappointed with the response I got. The manager informed me I should have called the number at the front desk at three in the morning rather than quietly leave and try to sort it out later. Since I didn't do that, she said the problem was all mine and there was nothing she could be expected to do for me. She assured me she had NEVER had a single complaint about the beds and suggested that somehow my husband and I must have gotten to feeling poorly in the night. I found her to be rude and abrasive. We will continue to enjoy the cave and the pool...however...we will never spend another night there and would not recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Terrymark
Reviewed September 17, 2006

No maintenance, no updating, and an unfriendly staff. For $179 a night, be prepared for something that would be overpriced at $39. This place is a toilet! AND a fire trap. The only heat source is an electric space heater (that wouldn't stay plugged in because the wall plugs are all so worn that electric cord prongs fall out of them.) Thank goodness the gas baseboard heaters weren't working because the ancient, limp curtains hang right down against the gas heaters. An open breaker box is on the wall above the sink. (So, if the place doesn't burn down around you, maybe you'll get electricuted.) The walls are cracked, the bedding is so old the sheets are nearly transparent, the window sills are rotted out. AND, the staff is unfriendly. I had an emergency at work and needed to communicate via email. The "Free Wi-Fi" was non-existant. I was told to take the laptop outside - still no Internet. Then told that the only place most people could get a connection was in the lobby - still nothing. The woman at the front desk didn't offer to let me use her desktop; she said, "Go downtown to the bagel shop. If you buy something, you can use theirs." It was closed and by that time I was angry so I finally was allowed to use the front desk computer to send one email. We go to Ouray at least twice a year and we've stayed at the China Clipper, the Beaumont, the St. Elmo, the Christmas House, as well as several of the regular motels and never had a bad experience but we'll NEVER, NEVER AGAIN STAY AT THIS PLACE!!!!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
22  Thank 2_From_AZ
Reviewed August 30, 2006

The inn was great, the hotspring cave was excellent. I wish we could have stayed longer and got to see more of Ouray. The only tiny problem was the room was a little small.

• Stayed: September 2004, traveled as a couple