We stayed at this hotel last year and were just overwhelmed by the relaxing views from the pool and by the vapor cave. However, the room was quite old and not as clean as one would expect. It was also the first room on the main wallkway and so all of the other guests were constantly walking by on the wooden (somewhat noisy) walkway. We went again this year and requested a different room that would not have quite as much traffic going by. The weather was unusually warm and the hotel has no air conditioning. We opened all of the windows and turned on the overhead fan as well as the noisy box fan. However, in order to have privacy we had to close the blinds of the only window in the main room and roasted all four nights. Our other choice was to leave the blinds open and anyone walking by would be able to look in to the bedroom area. Also, last year each time we went swimming or to the vapor cave, we would turn in our towels to the basket by the desk and get a fresh, clean one. We did this the first day this year and the owner was quite upset. She asked if we were checking out already and we said no. She looked into the basket as though she wanted to pull our towels back out a give them back to us as she told us that there was only one large towel per guest for swimming and that we were supposed to let them dry out and reuse them during our stay and turn them in during checkout. She told us to take two of the smaller towels out of the cupboard and we would have to use those for the rest of the stay. Although the idea of reusing them didn't bother me, I was appalled by the fact that we were told that it was a requirement. The screens in the bathroom were quite dirty and did not close tightly. Although I believe the property is historical, there are improvements that could be made without losing the historical look (such as a little paint around the window frames). Each night my husband had to hang his robe on the window of the room door as the blinds did not fit properly and anyone going by could look straight into the bedroom. The "luxury robes" (waffle cotton) for each guest were handed out during check-in and we were expected to turn them in along with our pool towels during checkout. There were only two hooks in the whole room to accommodate the robes and pool towels as well as the bath towels that needed to be dried for re-use. The morning that we were checking out, we saw the owner coming through the lobby to get herself some coffee. She was still in her pajamas, which was really no big deal but it was obvious that she had just gotten out of bed and came straight to the lobby without so much as combing her hair or washing yesterday's makeup off her face. Although the idea that she stayed there on property could have given it a homey, family kind of atmosphere, the complete lack of care for her appearance to the guests was quite unprofessional and distasteful. The vapor cave was quite relaxing and the views of the surrounding mountains from the swimming pool were breathtaking, but these are the only positive aspects of this hotel and therefore we will not be staying there next year when we vacation in Ouray.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nested in a quiet residential neighborhood, right in the center of downtown Ouray, the Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa & Lodgings offers a wide variety of accommodations and features three different all natural continually flowing mineral hot springs on its premises: the famous Vaporcave, the outdoor swimming pool and the Lorelei, a privately enclosed outdoor spa. All our waters are continually flowing pure mineral springs, not altered with any chemicals or additives. All springs are open year around Guests of the Wiesbaden can enjoy unlimited use of the Vaporcave and the outdoor swimming pool at no extra charge. All rooms feature private bath, satellite TV, free WiFi, free local phone calls, spa robes and towels. There is a garden and a shared lounge. The property offers free parking. Wiesbaden features full range of massage and spa services. Guests of the lodge enjoy discounted rates on the spa services. Wiesbaden is a strictly non-smoking facility and we cannot accommodate anybody who uses tobacco products. Pet friendly accommodations are available. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa & Lodgings Hotel Ouray
- Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa And Lodgings
- Wiesbaden Hot Springs Ouray