“Vapor Cave is the Only Worthwhile Amenity”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ouray
Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa & Lodgings
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Ouray
Prescott Valley, Arizona
“Vapor Cave is the Only Worthwhile Amenity”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed at this hotel last year and were just overwhelmed by the relaxing views from the pool and by the vapor cave. However, the room was quite old and not as clean as one would expect. It was also the first room on the main wallkway and so all of the other guests were constantly walking by on the wooden (somewhat noisy) walkway. We went again this year and requested a different room that would not have quite as much traffic going by. The weather was unusually warm and the hotel has no air conditioning. We opened all of the windows and turned on the overhead fan as well as the noisy box fan. However, in order to have privacy we had to close the blinds of the only window in the main room and roasted all four nights. Our other choice was to leave the blinds open and anyone walking by would be able to look in to the bedroom area. Also, last year each time we went swimming or to the vapor cave, we would turn in our towels to the basket by the desk and get a fresh, clean one. We did this the first day this year and the owner was quite upset. She asked if we were checking out already and we said no. She looked into the basket as though she wanted to pull our towels back out a give them back to us as she told us that there was only one large towel per guest for swimming and that we were supposed to let them dry out and reuse them during our stay and turn them in during checkout. She told us to take two of the smaller towels out of the cupboard and we would have to use those for the rest of the stay. Although the idea of reusing them didn't bother me, I was appalled by the fact that we were told that it was a requirement. The screens in the bathroom were quite dirty and did not close tightly. Although I believe the property is historical, there are improvements that could be made without losing the historical look (such as a little paint around the window frames). Each night my husband had to hang his robe on the window of the room door as the blinds did not fit properly and anyone going by could look straight into the bedroom. The "luxury robes" (waffle cotton) for each guest were handed out during check-in and we were expected to turn them in along with our pool towels during checkout. There were only two hooks in the whole room to accommodate the robes and pool towels as well as the bath towels that needed to be dried for re-use. The morning that we were checking out, we saw the owner coming through the lobby to get herself some coffee. She was still in her pajamas, which was really no big deal but it was obvious that she had just gotten out of bed and came straight to the lobby without so much as combing her hair or washing yesterday's makeup off her face. Although the idea that she stayed there on property could have given it a homey, family kind of atmosphere, the complete lack of care for her appearance to the guests was quite unprofessional and distasteful. The vapor cave was quite relaxing and the views of the surrounding mountains from the swimming pool were breathtaking, but these are the only positive aspects of this hotel and therefore we will not be staying there next year when we vacation in Ouray.

Room Tip: If your sleeping arrangements are of no consequence and you are only interested in relaxing in the p...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Joanne A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Colorado
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Spent an hour or so at Weisbaden to experience the vapor caves. We very taken aback when asked if my husband and I smoked (or had in the past three months). My shocked response elicited a glare from the two desk attendants, like I was lying. The place had a run down feel which surprised me due to all the glowing reviews I hear. I go to a lot of hot springs, and never have I been asked f I smoked, and I have never been given a three hour stay limit....maybe 10 pm if I am not staying there- three hours is it. With that said the vapor caves are awesome, and hot. The outdoor pool was a nice temperature for longer soaking, but is right on the street (not a busy street though). Both areas were very clean. On an different note- we were a bit surprised to see a hooded grim reaper hanging from a neighbor's tree staring right at the outdoor pool. Left-over Halloween decor in May?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank COSprGrl
Crested Butte, Colorado
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Vapor caves + hot springs + plus a party of Ouray history. We really
Enjoyed our stay here. Loves that it was smoke free and very clean. Also enjoyed private hot spring and goer amazing views. This is the place to stay while in ouray.

• Stayed April 2012
Telluride, Colorado
Reviewed April 6, 2012

A great place to stay if you are traveling through the scenic byway of the San Juan mountains.

Room Tip: It has the best hot pools from inside the mountains of the San Juan Range. There is plenty of priva...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed March 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed in a very small house across the street from the main lodge. All of the accommodations seemed to have an antique feel but were clean and well kept. The facility has a small warm swimming pool that's nice but nothing special. The underground cavern with the natural pool is quite amazing and worth seeing, a great unique experience. Don't expect anything more than a small natural hot spring pool in a cave underneath the facility but it is very cool if you have reasonable expectations. Staff and value for the price were all decent. Hard to go wrong with a night or two in Ouray if you haven't been.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Fruita, Colorado, United States
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I have just returned home from a weekend getaway with the one I love, and we stayed at the Wiesbaden and I have to say...It was a very joyful experience not only was the hotsprings and vapor cave relaxing but the hospitality was fantastic! This was my first visit there and we will return on a regular basis. LOVED IT!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Ouray, Colorado
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Just made a return visit to one of my favorite get-a-ways. The soak
was extra special this time with the added attraction of a snowfall.
Floating in the outdoor pool with snowflakes melting on the face
is a sensory delight.
I am very impressed by the quality of the waters and how clean the
pools are.
On my last visit the WiFi did not have a strong enough signal to reach
my room, but that problem has been fixed.
There are plenty of good restaurants open this time of year.
The Ouray Brewery is a short walk away. It's a cozy place with good
service, tasty food and interesting brews.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends