All reviews the owner day bed the river family suite waffles great place to stay hot tub box canyon quiet location within walking distance breakfast was included in town stay there again nice stay breakfast room clean rooms the main drag
Reviewed February 22, 2014

My husband and I traveled to Ouray for the first time this year for some ice climbing. We chose this hotel because of the location and from a recommendation from a guiding service. We were very happy with this decision! Check-in went smoothly. The rooms were always clean, which is something that is very important to us. The breakfast was a perfect way to begin the day and was always fresh and hot with various choices. When we were looking for recommendations on where to eat, Jan gave out great advice and even called to make the reservations for us when necessary. I had an issue with my rental car, and Jan helped me get that taken care of quickly. There was always a hello and a personal greeting. Staying here felt like being with family.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2014

For nearly 20 years I have traveled to Ouray and have stayed at many of the hotels and B&Bs here. The "Vic" was a frequent pick in the early years because of cost and convenience, but with the improvements Jan and Brian implemented in 2008, I have no reason to look elsewhere. The rooms are meticulously clean (my primary concern when staying out of town) and very comfortable, and the customer service has always been fabulous. The owners take a personal interest in your experience, be it climbing conditions, best places to have a great meal, or activities for a "rest day", and I have always been treated like extended family here. It's a 5 minute walk to the Box Canyon Falls, the Ice Park, or "Downtown", the rooms are located at the edge of the Uncompahgre River and the views are spectacular. In short, for cleanliness, comfort, consistency and service - I highly recommend the Ouray Victorian Inn.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank 940John
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I have actually stayed here a couple of times before; decent, but nothing special....BUT, the third time I stayed, it was a disaster and the owners showed some horrible customer service, and their true colors. I will never stay here again as long as the current owners are here.

On the first morning of our stay, we (my wife and 2 kids, 12 and 9), noticed a couple of bees in the bedroom. Didn't think anything of it, as this is Colorado, and we were coming in and out of our room, of course. Notified the front desk, and they were going to look into it as we were out all day. We returned in the afternoon and there were many more bees in the bedroom. We looked outside on the desck, and there were LOTS of bees....DEAD, all over the deck...the deck and bedroom smelled of awful Raid or other bug spray. Went to front desk; i was immediately confronted with a defensive attitude that "I must ahve left something sweet out, like food", "we have no idea, looking into it". They didn't look into anything, just left a Raid-smellig room with dozens of bees dead. I asked to switch rooms, but decided to just leave. I had to ask for EVERYTHING; I suggested switching rooms, I suggested them refunding one night, I NEVER heard "I'm sorry", NOTHING. They were offended I left. I think these folks are in the wrong business (it's called "hospitality"), and we will never return unless under new ownership. There are plenty of beautiful, same priced rooms in Ouray, including the nice folks who accomodated me....right across the street.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank CVL2014
OVIJan, Owner at Ouray Victorian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

We are surprised by this review as the incident took place nearly 9 months ago. Clearly this has bothered this guest time, but the time lapse also seems to have colored her recollection of the incident. We are of course sorry that it happened and of course we apologized many times for the rare incidence of nature intruding into a guest room. They requested that we spray the room so we sprayed the outside of the room where we saw bees. Pesticide does have a way of killing bees so there were indeed dead bees outside the next morning and it also does have an odor which why we very rarely use poisons near a guest room. We did this at their request. We apologized again and offered to move them to a different room. They declined and asked to check out early. Of course we agreed and did not even think about charging them for the room. They seemed comfortable with the issues and the resolution while they were here. We are not sure what else the guest thought we should do to alleviate this problem, we did what we could while they were in the room. After they left we discovered a nest in the wall and removed it which took several days to complete.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I've stayed at the Vic three times. Rooms are clean, the owners are friendly, the location is great. Breakfast is not fancy, but is plentiful and tasty. Scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, make-your-own waffles, cereal, yogurt, fruit, bagels, etc.
Beds are comfortable, and they have nice cozy duvets.
Internet is slow.
Hot tubs (they have 2 of them) are great to relax in.

Location is close to the Ouray Ice Park, so you can walk out of your door and be at the Ice Park in a few minutes.

They don't offer discounts for Ice Park members, which is a bit disappointing if you're an ice climber and Ice Park member.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank KaiPL
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed at the Victorian for four nights at Christmas-time. The Inn is more than adequate for a nice stay, but there's nothing luxurious about it. More importantly, though, it is clean and comfortable. Room with two queens was spacious. Jan was a great host. Breakfast included make-your-own waffles, hard-boiled eggs or pre-made omelette, yogurt, oatmeal, a few dry cereals, and baked goods. The Inn is located on the river, with easy access to the trails along the canyon, and a 5-10-minute walk uphill to the shops and restaurants. Suggest bringing slippers and a robe, as the bathroom floors are quite cold, and the hot tub is a short walk outside. We enjoyed our stay and are heading back in a few weeks.

Room Tip: Didn't seem like there was a bad one to choose from.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple