“Scared out of my wits!”
Review of Uncompahgre Gorge

Ranked #19 of 35 things to do in Ouray
More attraction details
Owner description: Site of a frozen waterfall and America's first manmade ice-climbing park.
Emporia, KS
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Scared out of my wits!”
Reviewed October 27, 2006

I drove the Uncompahgre Gorge by Van last Thursday, Oct. 27, 2006. It took me by suprise. It had steep sides and a small shelf to drive on with two lanes of traffic for approximately 27 miles. There was no shoulder and no guard railes. Signs were posted to go 15, 20 or 25 miles an hour. There was hardly anyone on it and I was glad because I was driving right on the center line as far from the edge as I could get. It amounted to two feet away you could drop off to sudden death. My friend kept giving me visual reports like "I don't see a bottom below. " I screamed most of the way and I am not usually an emotional person. I would have turned around if I could have. It seemed the road was above the tree line and the views were outstanding -- if only I could have enjoyed it better. I am going to make T-Shirts that say "I drove the Uncompahgre Gorge", Photo of the Gorge "Have You?" written underneath it. My 79 year old friend is going to have a T-Shirt that says, "I rode shotgun on the Uncompahgre Gorge" with a photo. After our "hair raising ordeal" that drained me of most of my B vitamins, we have laughed at our experience and are glad we did it. But I don't think I have the nerves of steel to go through it again. However, I would love to return to Quray, Silverton, and Durango Colorado.
Marilyn, age 58, Kansas flatlander.

18 Thank 1000footdrop

Been to Uncompahgre Gorge? Share your experiences!