“Delightful B&B in Ouray”
Review of Secret Garden

Secret Garden
Ranked #3 of 8 Ouray B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 18, 2013

After a long drive from Boulder, what a pleasure to stay at Secret Garden for three nights and experience excellent hospitality, delicious food, comfort and charming accommodations. Sara, the proprietor/owner, could not have been more welcoming and did all in her power to make sure we had a lovely and enjoyable place to stay while attending some events in Ouray. This B&B was also very convenient for accessing Ouray locations and happenings. With all the comforts of home and much more, this is a place I will choose again in the future. First class all the way! Linda from Boulder

Room Tip: All the rooms were beautifully decorated and had wonderful beds. Great sleeping - I never heard a s...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Linda F

Reviewed October 23, 2013

From the rave reviews, we probably had higher than normal expectations. We've stayed at 30+ BnB's and this one just missed the mark for us. The location is ideal for exploring the area and Sarah is very friendly. This just wasn't our type of BnB, but others may love this personal, almost family-like atmosphere.

This experience made us feel like we were staying with relatives and just felt like things were too "close" or familiar. We like the casualness of most BnB's, but felt uncomfortable here.

The decor in our room seemed to be a catch-all of mismatched odd furnishings and knickknacks. The bed was comfortable and had nice sheets.

We didn't expect our bathroom to be detached from the bedroom, so this didn't help our experience and the shower was difficult to use since it is a clawfoot tub with a curtain around it and nowhere to put your shampoo, conditioner and soap while bathing.

For breakfast, it felt like I was walking into someone's personal kitchen. I didn't like that the yogurt container was already open and communal in such that anyone could dip their spoon into it and then it was put back in the fridge.

It wasn't a terrible experience, but we wouldn't return nor recommend to friends.

Room Tip: The top floor "suite" is two separate bedrooms that share a bathroom. You can reserve both...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richelleh8
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was our first trip to southwest Colorado. We stayed in Ouray at Secret Garden for three nights in October 2013. Secret Garden is a beautiful place to stay to enjoy Ouray. Our room was large and cozy with a gas fireplace and a beautiful bathroom. Sara is an excellent cook and wonderful hostess! Her breakfasts are delicious! She knows a lot about the town and surrounding area, which is so helpful for visitors like us. It is walking distance to great restaurants in Ouray and to the Ouray Perimeter Trail. We were so sorry when it was time to leave this delightful b&b. We look forward to returning. Perfect!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2013

My daughter Lindsay was married at the Secret Garden on October 5. It was absolutely perfect! The garden and "house" were absolutely beautiful...very warm and charming. Not only was the scenery breathtaking, Sarah, the owner, was an amazing hostess, her employees were very professional, and the food was fabulous! It was everything we had dreamed of and more. I would highly recommend The Secret Garden for any special event! It was delightful!
Laura Ross

Room Tip: There is a hot springs pool and fitness center less than 5 minutes from the bed and breakfast.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laura R
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I just happened to read my new son-in-law's review of their wedding site at the Secret Garden -
Please see review by Michael M from San Francisco on Sept. 5. I couldn't agree more with his wonderful review! When your daughter gets married you want everything to be perfect! Sara Sharpe made it idyllic for us all. I couldn't recommend a wedding site - or even just a weekend retreat- more highlly! And Ouray is beautiful, so just get yourselves there!!!
Stevie - Proud Mother of the Beautiful Bride and my beautifully articulate son-in-law

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is a totally tremendous place to stay when in Ouray. Sara is a welcoming hostess and made me feel like we have known each other for years so I was comfortable right away. I stayed in the Cotswold room which was perfect for the "woman traveling solo". It has a full sized bed, modern flat screen TV, free Wi-Fi and shares a lovely modern bath with the Kensington Room. The room was great but it would be nice if there was a big comfy reading chair with a good reading light in this room.....I was afraid to sit in the rocking chair that currently decorates this room. The BnB is located a block and a half from historic "Main Street" and some wonderful eateries. I originally planned to stay one night here and one night in Silverton but was so impressed that I cancelled my reservation in Silverton and stayed here another night as the room was available. AND I made arrangements to come back to Ouray for 4 additional nights the following week as I was in Colorado during the "September 2013 flooding rains". Unfortunately the bad weather/rain continued and I cut my vacation short as the entire state seemed to be flooded and soggy. Sara is an accommodating hostess, excellent cook and just a really nice person so I will be back to visit Ouray and Secret Garden next year~~~~Thanks for making my trip memorable!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We couldn't have been happier with our weekend in Ouray at the Secret Garden. Sara gave us a very warm welcome and made us feel completely comfortable. We stayed in the Kensington room, where there was a fireplace and an extremely comfortable bed.The property was lovely and the breakfasts were delicious. We woke up early in the mornings so that we could sit outside and enjoy the mountain air and beautiful scenery as the sun rose. We wanted to go for a hike, so Sara recommended the Perimeter Trail, which turned out to be exactly what we were looking for. After the hike, we relaxed in the hot tub on the back deck with the mountains in view.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ouray
Twin Peaks Lodge & Hot Springs
#7 of 15 in Ouray
Mountain Lodge Telluride
Mountain Lodge Telluride
#3 of 7 in Mountain Village

Been to Secret Garden? Share your experiences!