“Wonderful!!!!!”
Review of Secret Garden

Secret Garden
Ranked #3 of 8 Ouray B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is a totally tremendous place to stay when in Ouray. Sara is a welcoming hostess and made me feel like we have known each other for years so I was comfortable right away. I stayed in the Cotswold room which was perfect for the "woman traveling solo". It has a full sized bed, modern flat screen TV, free Wi-Fi and shares a lovely modern bath with the Kensington Room. The room was great but it would be nice if there was a big comfy reading chair with a good reading light in this room.....I was afraid to sit in the rocking chair that currently decorates this room. The BnB is located a block and a half from historic "Main Street" and some wonderful eateries. I originally planned to stay one night here and one night in Silverton but was so impressed that I cancelled my reservation in Silverton and stayed here another night as the room was available. AND I made arrangements to come back to Ouray for 4 additional nights the following week as I was in Colorado during the "September 2013 flooding rains". Unfortunately the bad weather/rain continued and I cut my vacation short as the entire state seemed to be flooded and soggy. Sara is an accommodating hostess, excellent cook and just a really nice person so I will be back to visit Ouray and Secret Garden next year~~~~Thanks for making my trip memorable!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Secret Garden

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We couldn't have been happier with our weekend in Ouray at the Secret Garden. Sara gave us a very warm welcome and made us feel completely comfortable. We stayed in the Kensington room, where there was a fireplace and an extremely comfortable bed.The property was lovely and the breakfasts were delicious. We woke up early in the mornings so that we could sit outside and enjoy the mountain air and beautiful scenery as the sun rose. We wanted to go for a hike, so Sara recommended the Perimeter Trail, which turned out to be exactly what we were looking for. After the hike, we relaxed in the hot tub on the back deck with the mountains in view.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My fiancee and I became husband and wife a few weekends back and opted for the Secret Garden as the location for our ceremony and reception. We could not have been happier with our choice. It is a special place that we will undoubtedly revisit in the coming years (perhaps someday with kids in tow).

The grounds are meticulously landscaped, and feature elegant floral accents that compliment the lush green lawn, delicate white fencing, and period architecture of the building without dominating it or detracting from the surrounding natural beauty of the land. Inside, the facility has the feel of staying in a friend's well-kept home. The decor is tasteful and classy and fits the ambience of the historical small town and the surrounding San Juan Mountains. There aren't many rooms so your visit is personal and you will spend time getting to know your genial host, Sara Sharpe -- who has a knack for anticipating every need you will have while you stay -- as well as some of the other guests during breakfast.

And the food is amazing.

There is no menu, as she does an excellent job of assessing her guests to determine what will best suit their personal tastes and finds fresh local ingredients to prepare something that will please everyone.

When you plan your event, it's wonderful to have Sara in your corner. My wife and I were clueless about planning and she put our minds as much at ease as possible. She has helped host many weddings and does an excellent job assessing you and your future spouse to determine what exactly you want and need for your big day and she knows the routine for setting up a framework for the event upon which you can hang and set your own personal touches. She has connections all over town, even as far out as Grand Junction, so she can put you into contact with people for virtually everything you need, if you want.

Our wedding reception was about 70-75 guests and the space was more than adequate for that group. To be clear, the Secret Garden can't ROOM 75 guests, but it can accommodate them for a ceremony and reception just fine. And the catering that Sara provides is outstanding. She will work with you to prepare a personalized menu for your guests and, if you're stumped about what to offer them, will have plenty of delicious suggestions. After the wedding and the reception were finished, nearly all of our guests commented on what a pleasant experience they'd had, how much they had enjoyed the location, and how impressed they were by the quality of the catered food, which tasted like an individually prepared meal, versus a mass production.

And, while I won't go into detail, her pricing was exceptionally fair. It's always a good feeling when you spend the kind of money you do on a wedding and you feel like you got a good deal for what you paid.

Do yourself a favor and check this place out!

Room Tip: The master suite is worth the extra money. It has a really nice private bathroom with his and hers s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael M
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Just like the Secret Garden in the novel, this place seems magical. The garden is the perfect place to sit, relax, and take in the awe of Colorado's breathtaking mountains. Sara's food is spectacular: quiche AND pancakes for breakfast one morning and French toast soufflé the next. The rooms are charming and reflect Sara's warm and welcoming personality. I feel as if we are now friends.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 18, 2013

From the moment I walked in Sara, the proprietor, made me feel at home. The garden is quite lovely and a respite from the world beyond the white iron gates. Sara's breakfasts were delicious. I especially liked the vegetarian quiche and homemade jam made from fruit trees in the "secret garden". Sara's charm and hospitality are the best I've ever experienced at a B&B. I can't wait until my next visit to the Secret Garden!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed 4 nights and had a wonderful time. Sara's breakfasts were wonderful. It is a very relaxing place to stay. The porch and garden area were beautiful with all the flowers. It is very close to downtown so we could walk where ever we wanted to go. we stayed in the upstairs bedroom which was very nice and had lots of room. There was also a table upstairs for us to work on our computers. We enjoyed staying there and hope to there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The grounds of this B&B are quiet and peaceful. The rooms are nicely decorated, clean, and well kept. Sara, the owner, is gracious and an award winning chef. I stayed here on a ride up to and back from Salem OR and it's the nicest place I've stayed in Ouray so far.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo