“Not a 4 star, First Time experience, not so great”

Colterra Food & Wine
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Niwot
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd
Transit: Contact your local RTD (303) 299-6000.
Description: **Colterra is closed until further notice due to a fire. We will keep you posted on our efforts towards re-opening.** Colterra invites you to escape to the country, just minutes from downtown Boulder in the charming historic town of Niwot. Happen upon the authentic romantic setting and enjoy classic French country food created by Chef/Owner Bradford Heap. Trained in France with 3 star Michelin Chef's Alain Ducasse and Georges Blanc, Bradford has taken his last endeavors to top Zagat ratings. His newest restaurant focuses on using the freshest local produce, respecting the pure simple flavors of seasonal ingredients. Knowledgeable wine pairings, complete with climate controlled cabinet provides the finest possible wines by the glass, making Colterra an experience not to be missed. Top 10 new restaurant by 5280 magazine!
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We went here for my Birthday dinner in early March, as I had been told how wonderful a place it was. It was Restaurant Week, that was obvious from the moment we entered, they were slammed. We were quickly seated in a small two top, which is not very comfortable, especially for the person facing the wall in a straight back chair. We were greeted by the waiter who took our drink orders. Our wine arrived and we then ordered our entire meals. About 20 minutes later, our waiter came by to ask us what it was we had ordered! She didn't write anything down and had forgotten to enter it into the computer, she apologized, then tried to get us to order another drink. Which we did not as nothing had been delivered to us to eat. Not even bread. Finally, the appetizers arrived and I was not impressed with the soup, butternut squash with soft cheese. The beet salad was ok, much better than the soup. Again, we waited and finally our entrees arrived. Short Ribs done well melt in your mouth. These short ribs were chewy, and not very tender. By this time I was ready to bolt out of there, but we had ordered dessert. Only ate about half of the Dark Chocolate Caramel tart as it was gummy, sticky and would hardly come off of the fork. So our first time here, will probably be our last. The waiter was nice, but her skills were totally lacking and unprofessional.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

A superb meal starting with the fresh beet salad or the Charcuterie with duck pate. Main courses offered mahi-mahi, the duck and the vegetarian platter. Each with a medley of complementary flavors. Along with the La Quercia, Montepulciano red wine it was the perfect balance. Finally we finished with the chocolate Salt tart and a cup of fresh coffee. Will go back and try the large outdoor patio in the summer.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Went with a friend for 5280 Restaurant Week
I had the Beet salad which i felt could have had better flavor..to me it fell short of what i was expecting.
My friend started with Carpaccio Beef appetizer and i thought hit its mark on flavor and presentation.
I ordered the Proscutto wrapped Alaskan Cod w/ white beans and it was above average but still fell short on flavor. My friend ordered the Ahi Tuna garlic crushed potato,escarole,dried tomato and blasamic brown butter and it blew me away..
I should have ordered my friends meal.. next time.
We both ordered the Dark Chocolate Carmel Salt Tart which we both loved except the pastry chef snuck hard carmel in the center which stuck to our teeth.. SALT was a nice addition

Reviewed March 4, 2013

A local took me to this restaurant for lunch--it is one of his favorites. The location is a old house, with charming décor. It is very warm and welcoming--and very popular. The food is excellent as is the service. A great destination if you are out visiting the small towns outside of Denver, or on your way to Boulder.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

A complete delight for the palette. Went on the recommendation of a colleague and I would drive 50 miles out of my way to eat here again. It's a lovely restaurant, with a comfortable casual feel. But the food is the star. First, there's so many good things to choose from, it took a while to land on something. But we did, and we were happy with all. The roasted butternut squash soup was rich, full of favor with a hint of apple. Best I've ever had. I had the pork chop, perfectly cooked, well seasoned, served with polenta, roasted veggies, and some dried fruits. Every bite was a delight. This is a must visit if you're in the area. Also, the service was great!