“Small and friendly, good fun”

Cornish Seal Sanctuary
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Gweek
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We picked this out of a "Visit Cornwall" booklet, which had no prices in it, but were looking for something that would allow dogs, which this does (so hard to find dog friendly places!). We arrived late morning, on a sunny day in the half term holidays. There was a small queue, we were greeted by a smiley chap who gave us a leaflet and told us how long the queue would be - excellent customer service, I thought to myself - which proved to be case with every single employee in the place. I was a bit shocked at the entrance price - about £45 for a family of four (2 adults, 2 children) but you can return within 7 days for free, which the kids would have liked to have done, except that Cornwall has so many delights we just ran out of time to do this. The money is well worth it, in my opinion, just because they do such a terrific job as a sanctuary, and the educational aspects as so neatly interwoven throughout everything.

Feeding times seem to be pretty much on the hour, and the anecdotes and stories accompanying this were well done, entertaining and educational. As well as Seals,(common, eared and long-haired if I remember rightly) there are 6 penguins and a pair of otters, all delightful to watch and hang out with. There's also a brilliant under-water viewing area to really see the seals and penguins whizzing past in their element - quite a thrill even for me!

We would have stayed for longer but had to dash off to a pre-arranged thing, so we didn't get round the whole park but it is small and easily do-able in a couple of hours. In total we were there for 4 hours and could have easily spent another hour there. Can't comment on the cafe as we brought a packed lunch, and the kids found a couple of reasonable priced souvenirs. Sadly the gorgeous soft toys were massively out of our budget range - £35 for a large seal sent me scuttling out as fast as I could!

There were a lot of families with young children - I'd say it suits this type of visitor - but the 14 year old and my 21 year old with me had a great time too. It is a steep walk down to the sanctuary - about a 10 minute walk from the main entrance, and a bus is provided that comes every few minutes.

I'd definitely come again, and say again how well run it was and how friendly and nice all the staff were - such a pleasure to see people loving their work, even the ones on the gift shop.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,846)

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Whenever I have families staying, this visit is a must. I have been visiting for over thirty years and still enjoy introducing children to the seals. They do such a good job and are well worth supporting.

2  Thank Heather G
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Vastly overpriced now, this used to be a lovely attraction, but is now a greedy commercial enterprise with some seals thrown in for good measure. If it was better value I would return with my Family more often, but at nearly sixty quid for five of us will not be returning any time soon. There is not enough to see, and what there is does not get anywhere near justifying the admission charge.

2  Thank 11Sputnik03
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We spent 5 or 6 hours in all at this venue with one of our grandaughters on a sunny bank-holiday week-end :-)
There are no 'fair-ground rides' (there is a small play area), and she is only 9, but she had a 'whale of a time' (pun intended).
We followed the young man around to all the 'talks' and the feeding times (a must). She would have answered all the questions posed by the staff if they had let her :-D I would recommend taking a picnic (as we did) because food can be a bit 'pricey' at these attractions. A cup of coffee was £2.20 (more expensive than on the Scillies).
We met a young man in the car-park on arriving (sounds dodgy, I know) who offered us a genuine 40%off voucher if we paid him a fiver to have our car waxed & polished. Turned out to be a good deal.
The staff and volunteers were very engaging and always had time for the youngsters enquiring minds.

2  Thank RayC722
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Some of the stories these seals and sea lions have to tell are so heart warming and to see them happily interacting with one is very touching. There is a lot of walking involved so advise getting the land train if you are not a great walker but this place was amazing and The staff and volunteers are really doing a great job

2  Thank Ben P