“authentic German food”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 21, 2011

One would not just happen to pass by unless you are going skiing at Eldora. Nederland, Colorado is a gem resting in the forest of pine and aspen trees. The Black Forest Inn is the "gem within a gem" serving truly wonderful German foods and beers on tap. The ambience is restful with a waterfall surrounded by plants. The staff is attentive. Go for lunch as the dinner menu is quite pricey. The dinner menu becomes active at 4:00 P.M. We each had different dishes; sauerbraten and brats, red cabbage and sauerkraut. Sharing was fun, too. Lunch comes with salad and bread. We were too stuffed to try dessert.

2  Thank Carolyn W

Reviewed October 6, 2011

We stopped here on a day trip on the Peak to Peak Highway...our party consisted of me (48), DH (51), DD (18) and DS (16). My saurbraten was good, but a very small portion, while my DD's bratwurst portion was HUGE. My DS had a decent priced hamburger, and I can't remember what DH had, but he said it was "okay". The prices were a little high, but that's not unusual considering the location/tourist type town it's in. The service was good...an older gentleman who was very pleasant, and he kept our waters and bread basket filled. What disappointed me the most was the dessert. We ordered the homemade apple strudel ($6.00) after the waiter assured us that it was a LARGE portion (enough for myself and my DD to split). It most definitely was not. The strudel was about 2 inches wide and 5 inches long...for $6.00 expected it to be covering the plate. It's just pastry, sugar and raisins. We were pretty disappointed. It was tasty, but we each literally only got a couple of bites. I don't think we'd go back, but if you like German food and don't mind smaller portions, you'd enjoy it.

1  Thank FriscoBarbie
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I can't recall a worse dining experience. The food is as bad as Casa Bonita and the service is worse. I am so sad we wasted an afternoon there (it took so long to be seated, wait to order, wait for our food, and wait for the check that we had to abort afternoon hike plans).

2  Thank amyoamy
Reviewed August 21, 2011

The Black Forest is a wonderful and traditional European dining experience! Patrons need to keep in mind that this is an Old World Bavarian German restaurant. The food served is traditional German food. The service is excellent and the food is exactly what and old-fashioned German dinner is. I grew up with traditional German cuisine and this reminds me of those dinners with relatives, except in a formal dining atmosphere. The pianist is excellent and his choices of music are splendid. And the view is absolutely gorgeous! My husband and I come from Kansas each year to enjoy Nederland and have our anniversary dinner at the Black Forest. Whenever my children come with us, they love dining here also!

3  Thank CenKan
Reviewed May 31, 2011

The food was... questionable would be the most polite way to put it. We ended up spending over $100 on a meal that wasn't worth $20. And, to remain polite let's just say it didn't quite sit well. The service was fine, the scenery was fantastic, and the atmosphere was actually rather pleasant. But unless you weren't wanting to eat anything, or are hoping to miss a dreaded meeting with the alibi of food poisoning you go somewhere else for dinner.

1  Thank Lil1972