“Best little ghost town in CO”
Review of St. Elmo

St. Elmo
Ranked #4 of 14 things to do in Nathrop
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Feeding the Chipmonks. Visiting the old mines and mill sites and historic buildings, Fall is an excellant time to visit as the Aspens are spectacular.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

In my opinion, the best part of St. Elmo is the drive. It’s a pretty route, but slow going, with lots of curves and the last 4.5 miles on a dirt road. St. Elmo is a bunch of old, empty buildings. None except the general store were open. The chipmunkcs are cute, but not a destination for me. There are plenty of ATVs and dirt bikes around, but they were polite and not too noisy. As for those complaining about the only bathroom in town being an outhouse, that’s where people did their business until the invention of indoor plumbing; consider it part of the “historical experience”.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Although many reviews or articles about the ghost town of St. Elmo suggest the only way to see it is through a four-wheeler, that simply is not true. Albeit there are areas where a common vehicle or truck cannot access, there is plenty to see and enjoy on your own two feet. It is a beautiful little town. You can almost hear the bustling of the little town when you stand on the doorstep of the town hall, or peer in the windows of the dilapidated bed and breakfast. Chalk Creek runs through the town, offering a pleasant "hike" and an abundance of photo opportunities. The general store is loaded with tourist buys, or a refreshing cola. Watch out for the "chipmunk crossing" where the chipmunks or ground squirrels are used to being fed by people and barked at by your pets. They will take seeds from your hands and are glad to do it. Pets are definitely allowed, but keep them on a leash. An outhouse is in walking distance, but oooohhhh the smell - emergencies only is my suggestion! There are plenty of hiking opportunities nearby, including Agnes Vaille Falls. This is a great destination and FREE at that - as long as you do not get sucked in to paying for a day or half day of a recreational vehicle. That's not to say those that take the experience one step further by use of a recreational vehicle didn't experience that much more, but just to say that we had a wonderful family experience, on foot, and for just the cost of the fuel to get there from our camp site. Pack a lunch and enjoy!

1  Thank ColoTraveler_10
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I wanted to bring my son to where i have my fondest memories as a child and it was worth every minute.. We rented a 4x4 Arctic Cat from the gentlemen at the front store and they are so patient with this single mom and made me feel very much like i could do this. We had such a great time 4 wheelin, got caught in a hail storm and came back to the store soaking wet, they dried our clothes, loaned us better rain clothes and off we went again. I will never forget it.. My son fell in love with the chipmunks and I think I spent most of my vacation money on the chipmunks and it was his favorite thing of the whole trip. Thank you for make this a great memory for me & my son

1  Thank JDGOkc
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Good ghost town tour. the store and antique things around it are fun to look at and good for old memories! Also BEAUTIFUL scenery on the drive up to the town! We'll camp along there next year! It would be wonderful if the town or the area would restore the buildings so you could go into them and really get a feel of what it was like then.

Been to St. Elmo? Share your experiences!