“Nicer than I expected; eat in town” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort

Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nathrop
North Texas
“Nicer than I expected; eat in town”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2007

I guess my expectations were low, but I was pleasantly surprised. The cliffside rooms were clean and spacious, and obviously newly renovated on the inside; don't let the downtrodden exterior fool you. The pools were relatively clean and on the 4th of July not as crowded as I feared they would be. Skip eating at the lodge and drive into BV for food. BV also has a nice, shaded municipal park with a playground for the kiddies. Watch out for the speedtraps if you are going Gunnison/Montrose way!

• Stayed July 2007
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Korean first
St. Louis Mo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2007

I booked my trip 6 months in advance & I kept reading reviews on different web sights, they were redoing a swimming pool, I had booked a pool side room so I called approx 1 week before we were suppose to depart & asked them about construction etc..., they assured me that I had a newly remodeled room, because I had seen where they were rebuilding etc... . Well approx 48 hours before I was suppose to check in they called & left a message with my 13 year old son that one of their pools was closed & the water slide was closed also. Once I got home from work & my 13 year old informed me of this I called them again & told them I called a week earlier & they assured me everything was fine. I cancelled my reservation because I knew something wasn't right here. Well I spent the entire evening before making a approx 1000 mile drive trying to find somewhere else to stay. We did find somewhere else & I did go by this place. They have a few brand new cabins which look nice I found the upper pool with the slide being redone, I do construction for a living & they knew for approx a few months that there was no way they would have this done anytime soon. their pool side rooms from the outside that they had told me had been totally renovated by the pool that was under construction looked like something you would see in a horror movie. Their other pools are approx 200 yards from any rooms & you can pay a fee to swim in them along with their guest. there was approx 2 to 3 foot in between each person in their 2 pools it looked like one big public pool. I had heard that even if you stay their you have to pay a fee to use their 300 ft long water slide. What this is is a public pool with a very run down small motel next to it, they have built some new cabins which look nice, this is no resort & they are charging resort prices, I wish I would of taken pictures of the outside of my so called pool side room, that had just been renovated it looked like something you would see in a horror movie. They called approx 48 hours in advance to tell me about all the things that were really wrong here although they still were never gonna tell me that they had not really renovated our room, they know they need to tear down that building it looks so bad & start over. The reason they called 48 hours in advance is because that is their cancellation policy if you do not cancel within 48 hours you can not get your money back. I cancelled just in time, but I did have to scramble to find somewhere else to stay. They gave me a cacellation confirmation number, I asked them why I would need that & I told them if anything was charged to my credit card I would be going to the better business bureua. I am still thinking about filing a complaint. We just got back from our vactaion & we a great time no thanks to these people.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank St_LouisMoFamilyof4
Oakland CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2007

The website for this so called "resort" is quite inaccurate, in my opinion. It portrays a large pool used by one to two people and describes the experience as rejuvinating. The day I arrived, there was a tour bus at the entrance to the pools with scores of river rafters pouring into the place. I tried to use the pools but the conditions were overcrowded, noisy, filthy and it was not the relaxing experience i was seeking. Teenagers were playing football inside the pool, kids were splashing each other and everyone around them. There are no lifeguards and no one on the pool deck to enforce any sort of rules. The dressing rooms were also dirty and overcrowded
with most showers non-operable and after waiting 10 minutes to use one I gave up. I complained to management, that paying guests were not able to gain full access to facilities due to the admittance of large number of pool day users. I was told to use the pool first thing in the morning because it was less crowded (it opened at 9:00).
By 9:00 a.m sharp, the lap lane was full with three people and a swim instructor was using over 1/2 the pool for a group lesson. If the pools are filled with people, this should be honestly portrayed on the website. There were many other problems with this place, similiar to what others have described. I suppose if you stayed here as a jumping off point to go on hikes and river rafting excursions and avoided the pools all together (at least in mid summer) it might be enjoyable. The housekeeping staff was prompt and helpful. There is
a country store on the premises that carries anything and everything you could ask for. Management was poor and only partially resolved my
complaints

• Liked — nice views from creekside rooms
  • Disliked — hot springs don't deliver, poor management
  • Stayed July 2007
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank daytripperca
denver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2007

I planned to stay for 2 nights. The first night 7 people stood outside my window talking and kept me up. There is no air
conditioning here, so the windows need to stay open in the summertime. I called the hotel office 3 times that evening, butnoone showed up to stop the outside noise.

The next morning the same people were outside my window again talking, eating their breakfast out of cereal boxes, they woke me up.
At that time, I gave up, checked out and told the management they could not deal with problems here. SKIP THIS PLACE, IT'S NOT WORTH IT
__THEY HAVE SERIOUS MANAGEMENT PROBLEMS!

1 Thank 123karenDenver
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nathrop
Salida Inn & Monarch Suites
#1 of 8 in Buena Vista
Pinon Court Cabins
Pinon Court Cabins
#3 of 3 in Buena Vista

Been to Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!