“Trying to do too much and failing at most of it!”

Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nathrop
San Diego, CA
“Trying to do too much and failing at most of it!”
Reviewed April 7, 2008

OK, it's a beautiful site - Collegiate Peaks, rock pools in the river with the ability to customize the temperature, and they're clearly trying to class up the place...but the fundamentals aren't there for the rates they charge. It's NOT a resort, by the way. It's a hot springs pool with rooms around. Resorts cater to needs other than their own. Let's start with room complaint #1: We couldn't use the shower in the room at ALL. Early in the a.m. it was ice cold, then literally scalding when their cold water holding tank emptied (and they were only 30% capacity at the time). Thankfully, neither adults nor kid was hurt! The excuse was that they use the spring water, but it's simply unsafe and irresponsible, and they could have easily installed temp control faucets when remodeling - which they did a nice job with inside the room...but be careful! We called the desk - "Oh, yeah, we know, you'll want to come down to the springs pool to shower." What??? Our rate was $110 plus tax!!! Plus, if they knew, frankly, it was a safety issue and we should have been warned. Room complaint #2: The room was filthy upon arrival - it simply had not been cleaned AT ALL after the spring breakers left! They hurried a cleaning, but we still found trash around, wrappers of some sort in the shower, etc...ick. The 'wireless' works for about 30 feet around the lodge and wrecked our computer settings. THEN, get this - we were there for two nights (one of which they ended up giving to us, a junior manager really trying hard to be nice) - every morning before seven a.m. - including a weekend day, we were awakened by heavy machinery literally next door working on a water slide mentioned in earlier reviews. They obviously fail to understand their clientele. Then, when they offered to buy us dinner, we asked for veggies instead of fries with the kids meal, and they refused. We got up and walked out. Our advice would be to wait a couple of years until they get their priorities straight, then it might be OK. We get it - it's a remote location and labor is probably tough to source, but they should slow down on the new building and get the basics right before they move on; it's not like guests can just drive down the road if they are unhappy. Upon checkout, we were one of three guests complaining at the desk, and they were all different issues.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank HoeNalu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Korean first
Colorado
Reviewed April 6, 2008

We took our four young kids to this resort and we had a blast! The kids said it was the best vacation they've ever been on. We have stayed at other hot springs resorts and this was by far the best for kids! We stayed in a cabin, which was very clean, comfortable and had plenty of room for a family of six. We enjoyed it so much we will be going back next month along with my brother and his family and my parents. The bathhouse may appear "run down" but it is a very old, historic building. This is a very fun place to go and we highly recommend it!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Not enough time there
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Denver
Reviewed April 6, 2008

First of all, this place looks NOTHING like the pictures on the website. I wasn't even sure we were in the right place, in fact.

We had reserved a "poolside" room. According to the pictures, we were staying next to what appeared to be the hot spring pool, complete with fun-looking slide. I was also under the impression that we would be able to easily access the hot springs from our room. WRONG WRONG WRONG. Our room was on the OTHER SIDE of the main road and to get to the hot springs we had to DRIVE. I didn't see any rooms remotely close to the hot springs.
And the pool and slide I mentioned above were completely torn up, under construction.

The entire "resort" is all dirt and construction right now. While our room was newly remodeled with a very comfy bed and flat screen TV, the building the room was housed in looks like a garage - it's not quaint or rustic AT ALL. As I said, it's kind of up on a hill all by itself with nothing pertaining to the resort close by. I also had the worst night's sleep as there was NO way to cut down the heat (it was blasting), there was a loud roar of some machine in the utility room next door, and the heater poured water down through it continuously throughout the night so there was the sound of dripping water in the room all night as well. I called the front desk at least 15 times from 11-12 pm and NO ONE answered.

As for the hot spring themselves, also a bummer. I have been to many many hot springs in CO and these have to be among the most disappointing. Entry into the pools is a major hassle - you have to walk back into the building to get into them. A ladder or stairs on the outside would be an easy fix. It's also not very relaxing because you have to stand straight up in them - nowhere to lounge and kick back in the water (unless you bring a raft, but I saw none there). The creekside pools, while a neat concept, were't very relaxing to lie down in. They are only about 6 inches deep and while advertised to be "sandy" on the bottom, they are rocky and quite painful. Take Chacos or Tevas!

The food was also bad and the restaurant dreary (a little brightness in decor and some music would help!) - but I think I should stop here ;) I will say that the scenery is spectacular and the rates quite good.

My bf and I are low-maintenance travelers...I think the issue was that we felt misled from what we saw on the website...they need to tell people that the place is under construction. What looked like a rustic CO paradise....just wasn't.

• Liked — The lovely mountains in the background
  • Disliked — The room neing nowhere near the hot springs
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Aurora, CO
Reviewed February 13, 2008

I have been visiting Mt. Princeton Hot Springs Resort now for 3 years and it has become my husband and I's favorite weekend getaway spot. The new owners have done so much to the property, it doesn't compare to what it used to be like. Relaxing in the creek pools is unbelievable and a great mental health break away from daily stresses. There are several good hiking spots down the road too such as the Colorado Trail and St. Elmo is 12 miles to the west and offers beautiful meadows and an old mine (a bit of a hike though) as well as lots of history.

I have stayed in the new log cabins they have built that sleeps several or a cabin condo which sleeps 4 and is economically priced and beautifully decorated. Our last trip we stayed in the lodge which is a great locale for the restaurant and hot springs.

Also, if you want a night out for dinner, venture into Buena Vista and dine at Quincy's....they offer filet mignon on Friday's and prime rib dinner on Saturdays. Popular place but worth the wait.

So now I have let you in on my little piece of heaven...enjoy!

• Liked — Hot Springs
  • Disliked — Icey drive over the passes.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Denver, CO
Reviewed November 25, 2007

Spent one night here in the Cliffside rooms mid-November and had a great experience. Never actually ventured into the hot springs swimming/lap pools because the river pools were hotter and provided a beautiful setting. However, they are only a few inches to at most a foot deep. The decor and outdoor furniture around the pools is also very nice. None of the rooms are right next to the springs and all require a short walk. The Cliffside rooms are located a drive up the hill and across the street from the springs. They appear run-down from the outside but are completely remodeled and spacious inside. There is also an outdoor patio and table with a great view of the mountains, but there is no privacy since all the rooms have adjoining patios. There is a small store with snacks, beverages, etc. The onsite restaurant has a very basic, nothing spectacular selection of meat & potatoes. I'd recommend stopping at the grocery store in Buena Vista before arriving (there are mini-fridges in the rooms). I'd definitely check this place out again in the summer as there are also tennis courts, a water slide, and great hiking in the area.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank denver_adventurer
San Francisco
Reviewed September 28, 2007

Just spent 3 nights here, 1 in a motel-like part away from the river, and 2 in a new cabin across the river from the hot springs. Loved the new bed and furnishings in the cabin. Would be back for sure. Mid-week in Sept the crowds at the pool were no big deal, but on Sat. night it was crowded. Good value for the money.

Don't have much opinion on the restaurant. My expectations were low, and they were better I expected. Ths Sunday omlette station was very good.

Stayed September 2007
Austin, TX
Reviewed August 23, 2007

With all the negative reviews on this site, I was hesitant to go to Mt. Princeton, but the price and location made me contact the management for their view on the problems. I'm going to do my best to give you the facts of my stay without emotional responses so you can decide for yourself.
The rooms and cabins are completely redone inside in a nice way. Beds, linens and pillows are comfortable and clean. Our deluxe cliffside room was very spacious, with a separate dressing area. It was missing a mirror by the blow-dryer, which they said had not arrived yet but was on order.Bathroom was completely redone in ceramic tile, new sink and toilet, very clean and nicely done. The room was very comfortable and nice overall.

Problem: no a/c, and it was an unusually hot summer. We never really got the room to cool off, even with two fans going constantly. Sleeping was a problem due to the heat. Also, without a/c, you must open windows to get air. Since the primary window is a sliding glass door, we felt very unsafe with our door open all night. We propped the furniture behind it to keep it from opening all the way, and put a chair in front of it and prayed for safety. Apparently it worked, no one entered our room while we slept. It isn't a very good system.

You do have to drive to the hot springs, but that wasn't a big deal to us. The hot springs are two large pools and edges of the river where the springs feed out. There aren't small pools by the river like advertised, just rocks stacked around. The rains apparently washed away the stairs leading to the creekside pools, so much precarious and slippery rock climbing was involved to get to these 6" deep areas. It wasn't worth it.

The upper pool was still closed for construction. I prefer having more smaller pools and springs, like in Ouray or other places I've stayed. The large pools had many children playing while we were there, unless we went late at night. The bathhouse has not been remodeled yet, and is very grungy and old and not clean. It appears they are building a steam room outdoors by the pools which looks quite nice. I don't know what other plans are in the works. I think they are missing out by not educating the public on their plans; If I knew that upgrades were in the works, I might consider going back in the future.

The staff in the main lodge and restaurant were generally bad. There was one man especially who's first words out of his mouth are always "no". We asked for someone else to help who was willing to do something finally. There was a cheerful woman our first day, but we didn't see her again. They are apparently understaffed and lack training and management.

Our room wasn't cleaned except for making beds, and we had to call them to bring towels, coffee and basically do daily maid service. The ice machine on our level was broken, so we had to get ice from the front desk (a car drive away). Of course, our "no" man told us to buy it at the store, but we insisted that someone else help us and they gave us ice for the room.

The absentee owner is planning a huge community - adding on dozens more cabins. My concern with this is that since the pools are already overcrowded, once more people are staying at the resort, it will be a ridiculous situation to use the hot springs. There is not a reason to stay at this place other than the springs. And truthfully, they aren't worth it. Even with the room improvements, a lot more needs to be done and there are plenty of management issues.

I won't stay here again. Too many problems that they seem to be unaware of.

• Liked — clean spacious rooms
  • Disliked — no a/c; poor management; dirty bathhouse, not accomodating
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FlashCat19
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nathrop
Salida Inn & Monarch Suites
Arrowhead Point Campground & Cabins
Super 8 Buena Vista
Super 8 Buena Vista
#2 of 3 in Buena Vista

Been to Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!