“You decide.....”

Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nathrop
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Pros:
Very scenic location
Great waterside (kids had a blast!)
Relaxing 90 degree pools and hot springs in the creek
Large, clean cabins
Friendly pool and housekeeping staff
Cons:
Dropped reservation
GREEN HAIR
Overwhelmed and unprepared front desk staff
Limited wifi in lobby only and bad cellular service unless you have AT&T (this may be a pro for some:)

Ok, those are the basics. If you are interested in the details, read on:

We arrived to a large family reunion to find out they had dropped a large family cabin that was to house 9 members of our family due to front desk confusion over several members having the same last name. Lesson: confirm your reservation prior to the drop date with first/last name and complete credit card number. Unfortunately the resort was booked out so we had to cram the displaced folks into other cabins. The resort offered free horseback riding lessons at their stables and use of the conference room for our group and reimbursed us for the air mattresses I purchased at the ALCO in Buena Vista. 6 families were inconvenienced.
The upper pool and waterslide were fantastic! The kids could have spent all day there. The staff was friendly and/but laid back. Towels were nice and plenty of lounge chairs. We had to clear the deck a couple times due to lightning, but you can't complain about mother nature.
We stayed in a large log cabin. It was very nice. Large master bedroom with a large bathroom and king bed Second smaller bedroom with queen bed. Second bathroom off the hall which is smaller than the master. Small kitchen with 4 burner electric stovetop, small dishwasher, sink, all pots and pans, plates and glasses and utensils for 10. Microwave. Toaster. (no oven). Coffe maker. Table that seats 4. Comfortable queen couch bed (yes, comfortable) in the living area, outdoor patio with rockers and tables. Very large loft with two queen size beds. it would have been fantastic for our party of 9, but we ended up with 13 due to the dropped reservation.
The lobby has wifi. It was a bit unreliable and crashes all together due to a power surge. AT&T cellular works great up there, but not Verizon.
The thermal pools were great, but they seem to be having a problem with the adults only pool that is reserved for those booked at the resort. It turned my sister in laws hair green. And I don't mean green... I mean GREEN. Teal green. She has low lights (processed hair) and we used the upper pool for 2 days without a problem. One hour in that adult pool and the portion of her hair that was in the water was a dark green. We saw several other green haired women after the fact and the front desk admitted that they were aware of the problem. A sign would have been nice. They comped one night ($380) to cover the cost to repair the hair, replace my white bathing suit hat was green and the air mattresses I addressed earlier. My uncle's toenails also turned green. WARNING: Stay out of the adult pool.
We also booked a BBQ buffet with their restaurant. It was fine, but over priced. $20 for beef, potato salad, rolls and cole slaw. Plus a 20% gratuity...on a buffet? They didn't even pour water or take drink orders.

I would book this resort again, because it is a very nice set up, but beware.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank LittleMaMainthe858
Write a ReviewReviews (1,706)

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Pool made my hair turn green. I have been coming here for about 30 yrs and this was a first. The front desk said the chemicals were all messed up in the pool and they were trying to fix the problem, 2 other people that I talked to their rooms comped i only got 20% off my bill. I went back to speak to manager but they were all in a meeting and i left my name and number and the front desk said the manger would call me. My hair is not a little tiny bit green it is all green. This will take at 100 dollars or more to fix. Anyway I hope manager calls me --- I will update if he does or doesn't call. I have always loved this place but not so much anymore if my hair will turn green when i get in pool. This place is trying to be an upscale place but with this happening this will never happen--oh ya the room rate was 175.00 a night so not a cheap place to stay.

1  Thank 12goconnor
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I love this place. I have been a repeat customer for about 30 yrs. My last visit wasnt as good because the big pool for people staying there turned my hair green. I watched as female after female jumped in and came up with green hair. I had talked to few about this and the management comped their entire room. Now when i talked to front desk i got 20% percent discount. I went back and voiced my concern that this will take alot of money to fix my hair and now i am waiting for management to call me back. The front desk did also say at first that they had an overdose of chlorine and this has never happened and they are trying to fix problem, second time talked to them they said it was a an overdose of algecide and they were trying to fix the problem. This is cometely an employee not doing the proper testing on the water, employees are not trained properly. I do hope the management does call me back and at least give me a comp nites stay. I will not be putting my head under the water until i test the chemicals in the pool with my test kit.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank gogi123
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We decided to go there for an afternoon of relaxing. We had some friends tell us it was good, but it turned out that they stayed at the resort itself. We tried to research it online but they did not list prices that we could find but made it sound like you had access to everything. I called for pricing and was told $17 for adults and $10 for kids. We arrived, paid our $17 x 4 and found out there is a charge for towels and lockers. Not a big deal and out we went. It is a swimming pool. Admittedly a hot swimming pool, but a swimming pool nonetheless. There was a 2nd pool, not at hot, and a sauna. There was also a cooler pool across the highway that we could walk to. The 400' slide dumped into this pool. We couldn't use the slide because we didn't pay the extra $5 dollars to get a different colored wristband. Nobody thought to lay out this option for us at the beginning. You can also climb down rocks to the river where the springs dump out and sit in 6-12 inch deep pools where the hot and cold water mix. Fun for five minutes. There are several pools that you don't have access to unless you are staying at the hotel. These must be the good ones. This is not what I picture in my mind when I hear hot springs. The only reason I gave poor instead of terrible was because none of the employees cussed at me and the pool was hot..

4  Thank DocCletus
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My husband and I were married at Mt. Princeton in 1998, and it has really come a long way since then. It used to be somewhat rustic and rough around the edges, but inexpensive. Now the prices have gone way up, but the property and services have not yet risen to the level you would expect for the price.

First the good - the people are very friendly. The setting can't be beat. We didn't go in the river pools on this trip, but they looked great and greatly enlarged, which is nice. The upper pools are wonderful - lots of fun for kids, well-maintained, clean and well-lifeguarded. We all had to get out of the pool several times during our stay because lightning was seen up on the mountains, but it didn't put a damper on the fun. The rooms were clean and well maintained for the most part. We couldn't get the bathtub stopper to work so our 8 year old had to take a shower instead of a bath, and the sink was oddly shaped and very high, so it was difficult for a child to use.

Now the bad - the restaurant is ridiculously overpriced, especially since there are great, inexpensive restaurants mere minutes away in Salida or Buena Vista. The menu is very limited, and for dinner there was no entree under $22.00. For breakfast, there was a sign stating that the breakfast buffet was $12 for adults and $6.00 for kids, and there was no menu option - you had to have the buffet. I went to take a look at it. There were several empty "steam table" type warming dishes, and some with old-looking gravy, a few sausage links and patties, a few strips of bacon, some soggy french toast, and one that was for eggs but was empty for the first 15 minutes we were there. A worker was standing by the buffet table and I asked him what the two unlit portable gas burners were for. He said, "Well, it was going to be an omelet station, but I guess that's not happening!" On the "table" there was some pre-packaged danish, a bunch of individual cereal servings and an empty bowl with some pieces of melon at the bottom.

We complained to our server that we thought the breakfast buffet was one of the worst we had ever seen, and there was no way we should be charged $12 for it. Our server was very kind and asked us to fill out a comment card so that we could let the manager know. Several other diners also complained and they ended up charging everyone just half price for the breakfast buffet.

Mt. Princeton has to decide whether it wants to be an affordable family place or a high-priced "glamour" spa. It can't be both.

3  Thank cscomo
Reviewed July 23, 2012

After a grueling day hiking a 14'er north of Buena Vista, my boyfriend and I decided that a good soak in the hot springs was warranted prior to finding our next camp site near St. Elmo. Mt. Princeton was on the way and thus convenient for us to go to. The price is outrageous for the quality of the pools. 20$ a person to sit in a giant pool with way too many other people, with only one stairway which went into the building rather than to the deck along the side of the pool. This meant that all the perverts were gathered near the staircase to gawk at every female clambering out of the pool. There were several pools along the riverside, however, from what we could tell they were over run by children and were extremely shallow. I'm sure they would be nice if they weren't so over-crowded, but we didn't even attempt to find a spot to sit. The redeeming quality about this place is that they have a steam shower. My boyfriend and I were able to sit in the steam, in peace and quiet, without feeling like we were soaking in dozens of other people's sweat and urine (did I mention that the women's bathroom was not functional so I couldn't even shower prior to getting in the pool....along with the dozens of other women and girls who were at the springs). I felt pretty good and relaxed despite all of this, as the warm water (no, it wasn't hot) did manage to loosen me up a bit...when I was greeted on my way back into the locker room by a sulky staff member pushing a wave of water out of the hallway with a squeegie. Make that several waves. Of dirty water that was comprised of water from both the men's bathroom and then pool (which you could only exit from into the building....brilliant!). The woman did not apologize, put a sign up, or anything. She just continued to push this filthy water out onto the pool deck (which I'm sure was then going back into the pool). This was the icing on the cake for me. I promptly used the sink to wipe myself off in the women's bathroom since the showers were still not working and went back to the car to continue on our day's adventures. There are so many awesome hot springs in Colorado, that I can say without a doubt that I will not be returning to these. A little research can go a long way in this state, and you can find some really outstanding places to soak your body that are truly enjoyable in all ways.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kabukinibble
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I had hoped to write a glowing review based on the three times I stayed here last year and the great times I had. Sadly, this is not the case. First of all, the reservation website is horrible. It basically states that there are never any rooms available, which meant that I had to call to make my reservation. Maybe not a big deal to some, but with 3 small kids, being on the phone for more than 30 seconds is a challenge. In speaking with the reservation agent, we found a date that worked; now we needed a room. The only room available was in the 'hillside' area, which was formerly called 'poolside.' I have only stayed in the cabins and the cliffside rooms. I was led to believe that these rooms were very similar to cliffside. When we got our key and drove up to our room it was quickly apparent that this was not so. First of all, the exterior is very old and run-down. There is NO PLACE to sit outside, which is the main charm of the cliffside rooms. There isn't even a chair in the room to take outside. The toiletries were all gunked up, leading me to believe that they are refilling the bottles and then putting a new tamper-proof sticker on to make it look like it is brand new. (For the record, I am fine with this, but--here's a concept--clean the flippin' bottles when you're done filling them.) Furthermore, the washcloth that was folded so cleverly to hold the four bottles was filthy. The water faucet couldn't make up its mind whether to put out cold, warm, or hot water. (Perhaps this is part of their 'green' system???) The final kicker: Our TV didn't work (remember, I have 3 small children). I will acknowledge that the maintenance crew was very responsive to our problem, however, they were unable to fix it. They told us they would look for a new satellite box. We waited for 30 minutes and then left to swim. When we arrived at the room 2 hours later, the TV still wasn't fixed, so I called the front desk. I was told that the crew couldn't find a box. What teed me off was that they didn't proactively let me know this. I had to make the call (really, is this how a Cornell Hotel School grad trains his/her employees?). Then the clerk just sort of sat there on the phone. I was waiting to find out what concession they would make to me for this rather large inconvenience. Finally I asked if I could have a late check-out and he advised that we could check out at 1:00.
The restaurant: Our experience was similar to last year's: only go here if you are willing to overpay for meals and wait a veeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lllllllloooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg time to get served. While our server was very pleasant, she didn't even know what the soup of the day was. Additionally, we waited almost 20 minutes for a bread basket, in spite of us telling her that we had skipped lunch, were out at the pool all afternoon, and were famished.
My wonderful experiences from last year had me singing the praises of this place, leading at least 6 families to come here based on my recommendation alone. I will not be recommending it again. It's one thing to have this experience for about $100/night, which is what the poolside rooms were last year. Now they are $187/night (with taxes), which is absolutely INSANE for the poor quality we frequently encountered on our visit.
The spa: I was excited to see this new addition. On my visits last year, they were working hard to get this up. It is a rather large building, and I expected a lot more than they produced. Mainly I was interested in the fitness room. Holy moly, what a joke. It has 1 treadmill, 3 ellipticals, a bench, a fair amount of free weights, and one of those multi-use contraptions with some cables. Oh, and a TV or 2. It is TINY compared to the rest of the spa area. A total joke of a space. As I wandered around the building, I didn't see any other guests in there, and the employees there didn't even acknowledge me.
Takeaways: For about $100/night I would rate this place a great value. Maybe even for $125. But to charge $185 for a room with a broken TV, dirty toiletries, and a room that doesn't even have a chair is shameful. If you are going, get a cliffside room. Unless something has changed, they are much roomier, and the little patio area each room has is charming and offers magnificent views of the surrounding mountains. Unless you don't mind spending a lot of money on a meal, and you have 2 hours to kill, don't bother with the restaurant. Buena Vista is 15 minutes away and offers many restaurants. The only way we will ever come back is if we get a cabin (pricey) and prepare all of our meals, thus avoiding long waits at the hotel's--oh, excuse me, resort's--restaurant, or the drive to BV.

Room Tip: As a previous reviewer stated, stay away from the 'hillside' rooms (used to be the 'pool...