“Girl's Mountain Get-a-way!”

Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nathrop
Reviewed March 18, 2012

After a "rocky" start, our trip turned out to be very memorable - in a positive way. Initially, we encountered a staff member in the spa area that was over zealous in checking for our arm bands and to see if my adult daughters were of age. One is 19 and the other is 23, Apparently you have to be 16 to be in that area. She made us feel very unwelcome. However, once that was cleared up, the rest of our stay was amazing! We had dinner one night in the restaurant. The scallops, New York strip and beef tenderloin and creme brulee were all done to absolute perfection. Our spa apointments were all individualized and soooo relaxting! (Thank you Bobbi, Kim, and Karen). Cabin 27 is amazing...right on the river. We soaked in the Japanese pools and gazed at the beautiful snow-capped mountain backdrop....and at night the stars! We stayed mostly on the exclusive spa side - the side reserved for overnight guests. The day-rate pools tend to get a little crowded. The natural hot springs along the river were also very nice. You have to move the river rocks to adjust temps. Some of them get very warm! We also took a nice drive through the mountains going west and checked out St. Elmo's ghost town. We certainly will return...

Room Tip: Cliffside rooms are slightly larger.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lisa G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,708)

Reviewed March 17, 2012

I was here in early summer 2011 with my son. I hadn't stayed at Mt Princeton in 10 years, and the Cliffside rooms were hugely improved since then. Without undoing the good mid-century bones of this long, low building (butterfly roofs and exposed beamed ceilings will appeal to Atomic Ranch fans), they've made the rooms much more comfortable and opened them up to a broad patio with spectacular views. It's a real walk down to the lodge and the pools, but I'd rather stay in the Cliffside rooms for the inspiring views of the valley and mountains and make the walk part of my therapy. The pools are pleasant. The natural areas along the creek are the best (on my visit these were closed, sadly but reasonably, because of swift, high water in Chalk Creek). The dining room is serviceable but not the property's strong suit. Bar looked promising. Front desk area has also improved.I can't speak to the quality of the rooms in the lodge or the cabins.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2012

We recently visited and were ver displeased. Rooms were very dirty and the staff didnt seem to know what was ging on our how to run a hotel. We were excited about the new spa, but when we arrived we found no parking near the new building and seemed very crampted with cabins just a few feet from the spa. We got the feeling that management at this so called resort were clueless. We think the ownership should start all over with the staff at the hot springs from management down. We also heard from friends that the mangement has been the same for many years.?? If they intend to compete for business in the Colorado Resort Market, Princeton needs to make some drastic changes. The thought also occured to me that maybe ownership doesnt care how their resort is ran?? Maybe Princeton is just a dirty laundry for the ownerships money? Don't waste for money at the resort, we suggest staying in near by Buena Vista and visting the are around the hot spings on a day trip. The National Forest and near by St. Elmo ghost town are awesome.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Dan S
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Second trip to Colorado in six months,...decided to stay at Mt. Princeton this time around,...we were not disappointed. After a relaxing soak we headed up to the bar,...forgot the bartenders name but he was awesome!(tall guy, funny and entertaining) Made some of the best cocktails we've had in a while! Sounds like they are making some good improvements to the place and it showed. Rooms were clean, pools were nice if just a little crowded (only thing keeping from an excellent rating). I will be coming back here and telling my family and friends to check it out too.....still have a hankering for one of those post soak margarita's,...and it's been 3 weeks!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My daughter and I went to Mount Princeton Hot Springs for an overnight stay in January. Pros: We liked the pools across the river that are for overnight guests only...no kids running and splashing which was really good since I could read my book without getting it wet. Of course, when you go to a pool you expect everything you own to get wet, so it was a nice bonus. We stayed in a Cliffside Room, which was very nice. My daughter had a massage and loved it. We found the woman in the small convenience store to be lovely. Mount Princeton has made a lot of improvements to the property over the years and it's much nicer that it was. Front desk staff was responsive and cheerfully gave us a corkscrew and wine glasses to use when we requested them. Cons: There was no bathroom close to the pools across the river and we had to walk back across the bridge to use the facilities. I'm sure this will be resolved once they get their new spa building open. When staying in a hillside or cliffside room in the winter, you pretty much have to drive down to the pools which was not particularly convenient but not something that prevents me from staying there. Also, the steam room was not working.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

We stay at Mount Princeton Hot Spring Resort a couple times every year. Typically once in the summer and once in the winter. The rooms are nothing special, but with the great pools, hiking, biking, etc., who is spending their time in a room? The onsite restaurant is ok, I think it is a bit overpriced for what you get. However, it is only a short drive to Salida or Buena Vista where they have some great places to eat. All in all I would highly recommend it. The pools are great, staff is friendly, and the surrounding area is gorgeous!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Skyruisstoo
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I am not sure I want to rate this because it has not been crowded and I like it that way. I do think they deserve a good review though. We have gone here over the last few years and I appreciate all the upgrading that has been done. This is the first time we have actually stayed here on the premises. I was a little worried when I saw the building that our hillside room was in but once inside it was great. Very nice and modern, the bed was great as was the bathroom.
The pools were splendid and it was a clear night we could see thousands of stars while soaking. The only suggestion I have for the main pool is that they put in more seating along the edge, maybe just some cement benches would do under water.
The staff was nice and helpful. We didn't eat at the restaurant so I can't comment on that. They are building a new spa, with changing rooms across the river for guests.
Overall we liked it and do plan on returning again.

1  Thank LRMAC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nathrop
Salida Inn & Monarch Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Salida
Surf Chateau
Surf Chateau
#1 of 8 in Buena Vista

Been to Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!