“Great Frontier Atmosphere and Superb Hospitality”
Review of The Fort

Cuisines: Southwestern
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: An award winning and nationally acclaimed “truly Colorado” restaurant, The Fort is located in Southwest Denver’s Red Rocks Territory. Specializing in regional game, such as bison, elk and quail, as well as seasonal fish and hearty vegetarian fare influenced by American Indian and Mountain Man cuisine, The Fort’s creation of “New Foods of the Old West,” brings back popular recipes from the 19th century, prepared with a twist. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, The Fort is a full-scale adobe replica of Bent’s Fort, an important fur-trading fort originally in Southeastern Colorado (1833-1849). Paying homage to the property’s historic inspiration, The Fort’s cuisine is modeled after the diets of pioneers along the Santa Fe Trail, mountain men and native Indian tribes, as well as the culinary influences of the Mexican and Spanish traders who once occupied the border of Old Mexico and the U.S. Territory where the original Bent’s Fort sat. Kinney leads The Fort’s creation of “New Foods of the Old West,” bringing back modernized versions of popular recipes from the 19th century, utilizing a rare cookbook library with more than 3,000 volumes. Dishes such as roasted bison marrow bones, braised bison tongue, Rocky Mountain Oysters and Buffalo tenderloin filet mignon are menu staples, as are cocktails like Trade Whiskey, made with “organic” gunpowder, and “The Hailstorm,” the first Colorado cocktail served in 1833 at Bent’s Fort.
Reviewed November 9, 2018

We also had not been to The Fort for maybe 20 years...pace of life and it being on the opposite side of Denver from us. But my daughter and I share a birthday, and her friend from Mississippi wanted to treat us to dinner, and we wanted to show a truly Colorado experience. We were NOT disappointed. The atmosphere was top notch with views of Denver at night, real wood fireplaces lending sights and sounds, a wonderful native american flute player and more. The food was outstanding from salmon and walleye to a wonderul elk tenderloins with a huckleberry sauce, to a green chili mac and cheese. Everything prepared and presented perfectly. Our table was waited on by two attentive servers who refilled drinks and waters and provided us complimentary desserts for our birthdays (though all I could handle was a scoop of delicious vanilla ice cream...I was too full from the meal). We will be back sooner this time, it was well worth the drive.

Date of visit: November 2018
Holly K, Owner at The Fort, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2018

Dear GaryH_Colo,

Thank you for the wonderful review, and for choosing The Fort to celebrate your birthdays. I am delighted to hear you and your party enjoyed our unique atmosphere, wide-ranging menu, and attentive service. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Holly Arnold Kinney, Proprietress

Write a reviewReviews (728)

Reviewed October 26, 2018 via mobile

Walked in to an unexpected adventure. The menu offer Buffalo prime rib, beef steak, Rocky mountain ???, quail. This is an expensive restaurant but you are living an adventure.

Date of visit: October 2018
Holly K, Owner at The Fort, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2018

Dear Kim G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to The Fort. I’m delighted you enjoyed our unique dining experience and one-of-a-kind menu offerings. I hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed October 16, 2018

I went to the Fort 30 years ago and remembered it was a great place to eat. I was happy to hear it was still open. I went again on September 6, 2018. It was just as good as it was years ago.

Date of visit: September 2018

Dear J M,

Thank you for your kind review, and for visiting us 30 years later. I’m delighted to hear your recent dining experience at The Fort was equally as satisfying as your first, and I hope to welcome you back for another memorable meal in the future. Huzzah!

Reviewed October 12, 2018 via mobile

It starts with the atmosphere, outdoor fires giving off a delightful wood smoke aroma. Once inside staff are very pleasant and accommodating. Our waitress offered suggestions and detailed descriptions. We had the drink made with old crow, tobacco and gun powder. Quite tasty. Every aspect of food prep delicious. Deserts to be shared. Expensive but well worth it!

Date of visit: October 2018

Dear Lbjcartier,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a wonderful endorsement of The Fort. I’m delighted you enjoyed our inviting atmosphere, unique drink selections and one-of-a-kind menu options. I hope to welcome you for a future visit!

Reviewed October 11, 2018

The Fort is a great experience. It is a replica of the old historic Bent's Fort on the Arkansas River. The food is good - not a run of the mill. We take out-of-town visitors to this restaurant because it is so unusual.

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank jvogel1032

Dear jvogel1032,

Thank you for taking the time to write a kind endorsement of The Fort, and for your continued patronage. I’m pleased to hear you continue to enjoy the historic, early west-inspired experience we strive to offer our guests and I hope to welcome you back for more shinin’ times soon.

Holly Arnold Kinney, Proprietress

Been to The Fort? Share your experiences!