“Have you been to a real PowWow?” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Fort

The Fort
Reserve with OpenTable
The Fort is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Morrison
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Situated in the Red Rocks country 17 miles southwest of Denver on Hwy 285, The Fort is a true replica of Bent's Fort, the first American community west of the Missississippi & rendezvous of Kit Carson & other "Mountain Men". The nine dining rooms, seating 350, are white plastered over adobe. Unusual but hearty dishes, typical of the early West, are provided from open grills. Waugh!
Denver, Colorado
“Have you been to a real PowWow?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This was the 14th year, and the annual PowWow (hosted by the Tesoro Foundation) at The Fort didn't disappoint! The dancers in competition were phenomenal, particularly one teen man who moved with speed and grace - so fast his face was mostly a blur. Intertribal dances invite visitors to dance along with the participants. I visited and "danced" with a very informative lady named Samantha who competed in the Jingle dance. A variety of Native American artists showed their work. I especially enjoyed a drum maker from Taos, whose work with irregular cottonwood stumps was something I'd never seen before. The Fort's gift shop has some first class items. I did not eat this visit, but am reminded to bring friends who will come to Colorado this summer. Always an excellent experience.

Visited May 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great "date night" dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

My husband and I went to The Fort for date night. We had heard great things about it, and were not disappointed. The atmosphere was what I would call dressy western casual. Our server, Christy, was the perfect blend of friendly, attentive without hovering, and knowledgeable about the menu. The food was melt-in-your-mouth delicious. And while we were much too full to think about dessert, we enjoyed finishing our meal with a table-side serenade by a Native American flute player who gave us a little history about Ute flute music and played us a traditional love song. Everything on the menu sounded so good, it was tough to choose. We started with the sausage sampler of bison, boar, and "jackalope" - a blend of rabbit and antelope. All were juicy and bursting with flavor. Following that, we shared the mixed game plate of quail, elk chop, and bison. The elk was super tender and had great flavor; the quail was so tasty, we almost changed our minds about what to order. But for our entrees, we shared the smoked bison ribs and beef rib-eye,and both were excellent. The accompanying salad was lots of mixed leafy greens, and we both had the house honey-mustard dressing - quite delicious. The other sides were also great - asparagus, potatoes, and a bread basket. We chose one of our favorite Colorado wines to go with our meal, a Two Rivers Merlot. The menu pricing was what we expected for a restaurant of this caliber. The panoramic view from the dining room overlooks the foothills down to Denver, and we were treated to a spectacular double rainbow as we arrived. If I were to have any complaint at all (not really even a complaint, just a personal preference) it was the drum beating and hip-hoorays for other diners celebrating a birthday. There were about half a dozen while we were there, and it became slightly annoying. That sort of thing belongs in an Outback or Chilis, not a fine dining establishment.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Karen S
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Good setting but very average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

Ate here after visiting red rocks, restaurant is a fun replica of a fort set in a decent setting. Service was good as you always expect stateside but the food was very average. Ordered meat rare and it was certainly well done. The Elk was to be recommended, all in all not a bad experience but wouldn't make a visit on basis of the food.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank maraalfa
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“Spectacular & unique”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary here in April 2014. The food options were different and very appealing. I had the buffalo tenderloin which truly melted in my mouth and was superbly flavorful. My husband had the trio meat plate which consisted of a buffalo steak, an elk chop and a quail. I of course tasted the elk chop and quail which again were very delicious. The dishes were served with vegetables and small buttery potatoes. Yum! The decor and music was Native American and was very tasteful and actually lovely. The entire restaurant carried a very relaxed ambiance and the views all around are beautiful. Red rocks and a long view to downtown Denver. Just awesome. The grounds around the restaurant are so interesting. Containing an area with benches and a fire pit. Although we didn't look at all the buildings there appeared to be a shop and some other buildings we would have viewed had we not been heading to a movie. We will be going here again add I see this being a special place to take our out of town guests when they visit.

• Visited April 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very touristy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Staff was friendly but food was just average. I felt like a tourist in the 1960s with the teepee decorations. Was part of a large group and we were very cramped and service slow. I guess anyone traveling to the area needs to experience it once but I won't be going back.

Visited June 2013