“Pleasant little surprise in Monument!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spicy Basil - CLOSED

Spicy Basil
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Thai, Vietnamese
Description: Newly opened in mid November 2011.
Description: Newly opened in mid November 2011.
Colorado Springs
“Pleasant little surprise in Monument!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

I was in the area running errands and used TripAdvisor's "Near me" feature on my iPhone to find a restaurant, and Spicy Basil popped up on my search!

The exterior is strip mall "blah," but the interior is funky. The service is a little awkward (I had two people offer to take my order) but friendly. The food is tasty, and the wine pours are generous.

I liked this place and would return should I need a casual, spicy little meal in the area again.

• Visited July 2012

Denver
“overpriced!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

I got takeout one night for $15, for one person that is just not right! Food was decent but I won't be returning.

Black Forest, Colorado
“Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

A wonderful experience from the time we were greeted to the time we left with our take home containers. It's set back near Safeway in a strip mall, but once you go inside it feels like a very welcome escape.
Both dishes we ordered were spectacular, and the staff was warm and friendly. Give this place a try!

• Visited March 2012
Monument
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Located by Safeway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

Hard to find, do not use GPS or Maps on web, they will taker you to the wrong location. This is located in shopping center by the Safeway west of I-25.

Ordered:
Vietnamese Egg Rolls - Dont both it is like a 4 mini wrapped sausage links deep fried. next time I will try the spring rolls.
Basil Thai Tuna - Tuna was over cooked by the time i got it home, so this may be a dish reserved for dine-in. However less the tuna the veggies (lots of asperagus) and the sauce were delicious.
Drunken Noodles - These are the fat flat noodels which i am not a big fan of, however...this dish was awesome! very flavorful, just enough spiciness and plentiful portion. Will definately go back for this dish.
Teh staff/owners were very pleasant. The portions were good size but for Solo's like myself it was a tad expensive, I think I will save this for lunch.

Overall good experience. (once I found them)

• Visited January 2012
Colorado
“Thai food in Monument finally!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

When I saw this place was opening in Monument, I was excited because this is the first Thai place that has come there. I was tired of going to the Springs for Thai.

First time I got takeout, just a few days after they opened. Red curry vegetables and green curry chicken. Both were very good, but the green curry was a little on the sweet side.

Then I ate there by myself at lunch one day. The lunch specials are very reasonably priced and the menu offers a good variety of lunch specials, which includes soup and egg roll. I tried the Jalapeno Steak to see what that was about as I had never heard of that dish before. It was pretty good, and was hot, as I expected. Even included fresh asparagus which I don't see often in oriental cuisine.

Next visit, I ordered takeout and had my husband pick it up. This time was a near disaster. It was a busy Friday night. When he got there, they did not have any record of the order and he had to order again after waiting a long time before someone even helped him. It took an hour to get the order. The food was good though.

I think they are going through some growing pains and will have to work on getting the staffing and service perfected when they have a crowd. Otherwise, I am glad to see them in town, and I know many people in this area are excited that we finally have a Thai place. I will certainly return, despite the service difficulties during a busy time.

• Visited December 2011