“Good location for Black Canyon” 3 of 5 bubbles

Red Arrow Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Montrose
GreenLeadersBronze level
Columbus, Ohio
“Good location for Black Canyon”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Not much to look at but room was big and comfortable. Location only 12 miles from national park. Breakfast not great - fresh fruit was from can, but had oranges and bananas and tasty pastry. Easy access to stores in montrose.

Room Tip: Get rm 242, it is in back and no noise from road.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank divscu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Arlington, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I just spent three nights at the motel and it was a great experience. The motel is clean and it has a free breakfast. The location is great(easy access to Black Canyon National Park and Ouray). The rooms were big - I highly recommend this motel for families(I have 3 chilldren).

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TDTX
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

This area was our stopover between the Great Sand Dunes Natl. Monument and Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Not much to look at from the road, but I had read good reviews of this place. Although the lobby and hallway rugs could be updated, the rooms were immaculate, updated, and nicely sized. The beds were really comfy, there were brand new linens and towels, and we enjoyed the decent breakfast with eggs, sausages, and waffle maker among the usual breakfast fare. They had Seattle’s Best Coffee…and even had a carafe of vanilla flavored coffee! Everyone we met at the front desk was friendly. The hotel was full up and it was mid week in early June! My husband enjoyed the jacuzzi/hot tub by the pool and met some nice people there who gave us tips on our travel plans. The hotel had decent rates, too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank NjoyTravelingNj
Peoria, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stop with easy access to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP. Rooms are spacious and include a Jacuzzi tub and shower. The breakfast was pretty much the same as all the other 4 hotels we stayed at on this trip, but we do rate it as the best as it included a couple varieties of eggs and sausage in addition to the waffles, cereals and rolls/bread. The only minor point is the fitness center could use better airconditioning.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank PhilR9
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

My family and I rented the family suite for 6 nights as this was our last big family vacation before the kids go back to Highschool and my oldest is off to College- I booked the room 2 months in advance - At that time the website stated there would be an Omelet Bar ( which was very appealing to me) instead had scrambled eggs - ok but not what the website said - The Room I thought would be 2 Queens and a separate room for me - as I needed some privacy from my girls as did they from me - room had 1 king and a Full in the room I slept in ( No Ac in my room so it was hot - I did get a fan - however Ac would have been better)My youngest daughter at 16 slept on the hide-a-bed that was provided at no charge however she did have to put the couch / chair cushions on it as she indicated her back hurt in the morning- the biggest complaint I had was the Pool heater -was out all but the last night we stayed- Heather the Manager did make arrangements for us to use the pool at the Days Inn down the road but it was a hassle so we only did that once - Hot Tub was good and exercise area was ok- could use a few free-weights a bit small but ok- the grounds are nice and Jose who works there sang to my family with his guitar the first night to apologize for the pool not being available - He even gave my family and I some of his steak/ bean/ tortilla dinner he cooked on the grills that are available and saved me from going to dinner that night and for the problems I had Heather took 200.00 off my bill - Even though I would have liked everything to have been as expected I really appreciate all the staff/ Manager did to make our stay enjoyable - I would go back as the People made the difference

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Kempomaster
Durango, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I hate to tell you how nice this place is, because I want to make sure that I can easily get a room there again.

For a unpretentious courtside motel, the Red Arrow offers so much:
Huge, oversized bathroom, with a giant jachuzi tub and walk-in shower.
Really big room with a bed that you'd expect to find at a 5 star resort.
Nice, flat screen TV and a fast WiFi connection.
The continental breakfast turned out to be hot eggs, biscuits, sausage, gravy, fresh fruit, cereal, juice bar, and fantastic coffee.

But what sets the Red Arrow above the rest:
Everyone that works there are the friendliest, most helpful people that you'd ever want to meet.
I mean, from the front desk folks to the house keepers, nothing but smiles, winks, and a good word.

A special thanks to our housekeeper, Nadia, who came across our iPad that we accidentally left in our room, and to Annette, at the front desk, who shipped it overnight to our home. I'd hug you both if you were here! Thank you both so much!

I promise, I'll never stay anywhere else when I stop in Montrose, CO.

Tom
Durango, CO

Room Tip: Great for dogs too. A huge manicured lawn behind the motel (like a football field).
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western in Montrose for 2 nights while we explored the Black Canyon of the Gunnison River National Park and the Durango/Ouray area. They were terrific! Nice people, the happiest and most helpful breakfast attendant we have ever seen, self-serve laundry on-site, and a very convenient location. Spacious room with a big window overlooking a nice lawn and weeping willow tree -- so restful. Oh yes, and good chocolate cookies every afternoon!

Room Tip: We liked the building away from the highway with window overlooking the lawn.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple