“Would Never Go Back” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Elk Mountain Resort

Elk Mountain Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montrose
Elk Mountain Resort
You added Elk Mountain Resort to your Saves list
97 Elk Walk, Montrose, CO 81401   |
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Montrose
Denver, CO
“Would Never Go Back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in April while he was taking a gun course on the property. We called ahead and asked about the activities, and especially the one mile vita par course, as I was interested in running every day. The man on the phone was very friendly and described the course. It sounded great, so I brought my running gear and workout gear, as it really seemed as if there would be a lot to do. We arrived the next evening, and the hotel did not have our reservation ready. They had believed we would be arriving the next night (even though my husband had just spoke to the concierge the night before, AND his course began at 9am the following morning). We asked where the one mile par course was located, and were told that it was closed. We asked about tennis and rock climbing, etc. and were told you had to pay for everything... and it wasn't cheap. When you look at the website, you are under the impression that the activities are free, as they do not advertise prices or mention a fee at all. If you want to rent a mountain bike, you must pay $100 per bike. If you want to take a yoga class, you will pay $90 per person. The only thing I could do for free was use the small gym they had.

There were only two other people staying at the entire resort besides myself and my husband. Going into town was quite a long way, despite it being only about 15 miles. The road is mostly gravel, and the speed limit is 25 or 30. It would take us over 30 minutes to get to town each night for dinner. We would have loved to eat at the resort, but the prices were outrageous... and no breakfast is included, despite the high price of the resort. For a bagel, they charge $10. If you want cream cheese on that bagel, you are going to pay $15. If order the bagel via room service, you will pay $25. Want pizza and beer for dinner? You will pay $80.

The resort itself had an eerie feeling to it. One of the other two guests described it as something out of "The Shining." The staff was friendly, but you felt as if you were constantly being monitored. You have no choice but to valet your vehicle, and the valet takes your car a mere 6 feet away to park outside (no garage).

The maids would come to the room everyday at about 9:30am. There was one morning where I was working and did not want to be disturbed, so I hung the "Please Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. I went to the gym at 11am, thinking that the maids would be back. They never came back. At 5pm, I had to call to have the room cleaned.

The room itself was nice enough, but not of 5 star quality. The room had a heater, but no air conditioner, and we had to turn the heat off because our room was boiling hot even on the lowest setting. The windows do not open, so the room has a constant musty smell - and after you shower, the room will be damp for several hours afterwards. I had to open the door in order to get the dampness out.

The most surprising thing was the daily cleaning. The maids never changed the sheets, nor did they ever clean the shower or the bathtub. By our last day, it was getting to be a bit gross. I worked out in the gym every day, but not once was the gym cleaned. My dirty towels and empty water bottles were still there each time I went back.

The highlight of the stay happened when my husband asked if we could have a late checkout. Now, remember - there were only a total of four people staying there - and only three rooms being used. My husband's gun class did not end until 5pm each day. Checkout is at 11am. We were told that in order to have a late checkout (3pm), we had to pay 50% of the daily cost!!! Never have we heard anything so absurd - especially when there were practically no guests! I spent the six hours waiting for my husband in the lobby.

For anyone thinking of staying here, please call and ask for prices ahead of time for what you are interested in doing. In addition, ask if the activities you want to do are even open!!! We do not plan on ever going back to Montrose, but if we must, we will certainly stay in town. The hotels in town are a quarter of the price and include a free breakfast!!!

• Liked — Free internet.
  • Disliked — Cost of everything from food to activities, Cleanliness
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
12 Thank Angie55

Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2007

The customer service I am receiving from Elk Mountain Resort and Stephanie Sheek, event planner is quite simply the best I have found in planning our destination wedding. I cancelled plans at the Four Seasons in Lanai Hawaii because of poor customer service, and looked all over the map for a good wedding site. Stephanie at Elk Mountain Resort is delivering happiness on a silver platter, she is wonderful. The resort is customizing a wedding package for us, and Stephanie is holding my hand the entire way through. She answers email, calls me, and does everything when she says she will. She is creative and prompt and extends herself with such a delightful attitude that I am just thrilled to be getting married there. I will write more after the wedding and let everyone know how it turns out.

Our ceremony will be in the Swiss-inspired chapel on top of a hill. Stephanie is coordinating everything for us including hairstyling, makeup, harp, even a hot air balloon ride! I recommend this place highly to any bride-to-be that wants to be treated like royalty!

• Liked — Great customer service, luxurious accomodations, quality
  • Disliked — Expensive
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Riverwalk_Boise
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2005

I stayed at the Elk Mountain Resort for a couple of nights in November and couldn't be more pleased. The rooms were large and luxurious, the food at restaurant was delicious, and the entire property was beautiful. The staff was incredibly nice and attentive to all of our needs. We even used some of the Valhalla shooting facilities and received expert instruction. I wish we could've stayed for longer to explore more of what the resort has to offer.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2004

To start with it is a very unique resort. It is located on a mountain and has a national forest surrounding it. As you are driving to the resort all you see are huge evergreens and aspen trees. It is quite literally off the beaten path taking a dirt road to get to the resort. We were able to horseback ride, ATV and mountain bike. We also tried out the climbing wall and ropes (confidence) course they have and this is all on the property. One part that made the property extraordinary was Valhalla, a shooting club on property that you can do virtually any situation. Skeet, Pistol and realistic situation rooms. It was a wonderful vacation and I will definitely be returning to this resort.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montrose
Red Arrow Inn & Suites
Stay Wise Inn Montrose
#5 of 11 in Montrose
4.5 of 5 stars 28 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Montrose

Been to Elk Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!