“This is what a "museum" is all about!”

Museum of the Mountain West
Ranked #1 of 27 things to do in Montrose
ft. collins
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“This is what a "museum" is all about!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Passing through the east end of Montrose after a weekend of riding, and decided "what the heck, i'll take a quick look", and swung in to the Museum of the Mountain West, off of Hwy 50.
An impressive collection of saved and restored buidlings, along with a few old vehicles and equipment are what first catch the eye when pulling in and parking (actually, much of this can be seen when driving by on Hwy 50).
Once inside the main building, you can immediately see that this is a true collector and curator's museum of both raw artifacts and sharp, era-replicating displays. . . all set up to be viewed and appreciated up close and personal. From arrowheads, tooth brushes and lice combs to pistols, saddles, player-violins and pool tables; with replicated taverns, Dr's and dentist's offices, dry goods and linen stores and great stories going with it all. Seriously, from the smallest of detail items to a turn of the century church.
I had the good fortune to go in on a slow day, and found Mr. Richard E. Fike sitting at a table and chewing the fat with a friend (later found him to be a museum donator as well - sorry, can't remember his name, but he had some 80+ years under his belt, and a lifetime of experiences digging and collecting artifacts). Mr. Fike was happy to show me around and fill my head with fact and fable, and I soon found myself at the end of a 2 hour tour from the man himself! I didn't want to leave. . . .

Two hours isn't nearly enough, and I'm looking forward to another visit on my next trip through.

If not for a lifetime of work and love from Mr. Fike and his assistants, these incredible artifacts, and stories, would be either forever lost and forgotten, or bit by bit, stored away in someone's attic, or propped against a shed.
This place is truly special. . . and I have great gratitude for Mr. Fikes incredible museum.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank cam l

Taos, New Mexico
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“If you can only visit one museum, make it this one.”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is the best museum we have ever visited, not just in the number of artifacts (over half a million), but in the quality of the exhibits. We were happy to have Mr. Fike as our tour guide, and he is a great story teller, giving us the history behind many of the fascinating objects there. You are able to see places as they actually were: a general store with authentic merchandise, a saloon with cards on the tables and with working player pianos (don't miss the one with the violin), a doctor's office, two dentist offices, a laundry house, etc. We spent over three hours, and there was so much to see that I felt we had only brushed the surface. This museum is of the same quality and interest as the Smithsonian branches and even the Met in New York. Well done, Mr. Fike!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Kate M
Grand Rapids, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An educational journey back in the time of the old West.”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were in route for Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park and saw an array of historical buildings laid out and saw the sign Museum of the Mountain West.. We agreed to take a closer look on the way back into Montrose and we were not disappointed. The founder of the museum has dedicated his life in studying history and providing an education to his visitors. We were told that many people have pulled out a pad of paper and a pencil in order to take notes. After the visit I wish I would have done just that. There are 23 original buildings on site and 1 building built (the hotel) mainly built from historic materials. There is an old school house, Lutheran church, C.C.C. building to name a few. The wealth of knowledge you will learn by visiting this location is immense and well worth the time. Having a guide taking you through the buildings instead of just looking through the windows is also a plus. I recommend this museum to anyone that appreciates history and loves learning.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Goose E
Luton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Place to Visit”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife and I visited the Museum on our recent tour of Colorado (visiting from the UK); and what a surprise it was. I was primarily interested (being a 'western' fan) but we were both very impressed by the contents of all of the buildings. There is great history here. We were especially impressed by the sheer knowledge of Richard and his team of assistants; who made our visit there so enjoyable. They were very generous with their time. We had to leave before our alloted time was up; as we had further travelling to get to our next hotel for the night.
There is so much to see there and so much information to absorb.

Well worth a visit; great value for money !

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Vince O
Montrose, CO
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Best Museum We've EVER Been To!!”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We live right here in Montrose, but it took us years before we visited this amazing, fascinating museum. As a homeschooling family, we visit museums often for school...we have even been to Colonial Williamsburg, the Smithsonian, you name it. This one right here in our own little town was considered by all our kids to be the single best one we've been to, bar none. We spent 4 hours without even realizing it! We had a personal tour from a relative of the owner who answered every question, shared so much personal history, and explained so much more than is ever explained at other museums. The buildings that have been moved there represent a wonderful collection of what our area really looked like 100 years ago, and in fact a couple of them (a church and carriage works) were actually still on Montrose's city streets when we moved here 16 years ago. It is great they are being preserved. You will never regret planning a stop here, and you'll learn more than you ever imagined.

Visited November 2011