We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Moffat
Joyful Journey Hot Springs Spa and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Moffat
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Fun spot and wonderful water! Really beautiful and a favorite spot of ours.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 11, 2011

I only used the hot springs and did not stay at the hotel. You can choose from 3 different spas depending on your preference for water temperature. I arrived early in the morning and had time to try all three. The 108 degrees was even a little too warm for me who loves really hot showers and hot baths. They were running cold water in it to cool it down from 112, but I could only tolerate the temp for short periods of time. The view from this spa is beautiful. Two sides face the open space and mountains. Gorgeous! Too bad I can't say the same about the condition of this spa. Tiles are missing, windows are a little worn. Really takes away from how amazing the place could be. The other two spas approx. 104 degrees and 100 degrees, are in slightly better condition. But the view from there is only of the other spa. The women's locker room is small and could use some renovation. I tried to overlook the wear and tear on the facility and enjoy the benefit of soaking in the hot springs....for $10 it was worth the visit.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank SandyG46
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We spent one night here with my in-laws before going to Great Sand Dunes National Park the next day. It is very unassuming from the road, but the rooms are very large and nicely kept. The headboards on the beds are rather unique. If you were staying for more than a night or two, you might wish for more drawer space than is provided.

The 3 soaking pools are much hotter in the early morning than later in the day, after they have regulated the temperatures. The coolest pool feels like a warm bath, the hottest pool takes a bit of getting used to (and would have scalded us early the next morning). The tiles and top edges of the pools could use some attention. I wish they would clean the bugs out of the pool more during the day. We arrived around 4 PM, and there were numerous bugs floating around. The next morning the pools were clean, and a little effort during the course of the day would make it much more pleasant.

The continental breakfast offers only hard boiled eggs for protein, along with 2 cold cereals, and several things you can toast (English muffins, bagels, bread). Nothing fancy, but enough food and drink choices to send us on our way.

We seemed to be the only 4 in hotel rooms. Everyone else was renting the yurts and many of them were repeat customers. It seemed that the yurts needed some updates, as the windows are either gone or no longer able to be seen through.

We also had therapeutic (deep tissue) massages that were very enjoyable. The only quibble I had was that the therapist used music and a surf sound machine, which seemed a bit much.

The springs are not in an area that is really close to anything scenic, but as a destination in themselves, they are fine. I might go again, just for a getaway from noise and stress of "normal" life.

Room Tip: There is one handicap room in the hotel, with bars in the bathroom, but it still has a tub.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Nanner08
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We had a nice stay here. We loved the big wooden bed - very "Colorado"! If you're returning from the sand dunes, there isn't much out there & this is a nice stopping place about 1.5 hours away from the dunes. However it is in the middle of nowhere. High winds & severe landscape/weather make it necessary for them to construct large plexi-glass(?) walls around the pools. We thought the hot spring pools were just OK. We've been to nicer (Mt. Princeton in Nathrop or Strawberry Hot Springs in Steamboat Springs) & these at Joyful Journey were a bit dirty or older & very small.

We both had massages that were wonderful. Would recommend going there for spa treatments.

We heard from others that the yurts were gross & went out to check one out for ourselves - we would never stay in one of those & could see what others were saying. With the high winds out there, I can only imagine what it would be like trying to sleep.

There are no restaurants within a 30 minute drive, and even the ones you can drive to close quite early (7 p.m. on a Sunday night???), so you'll need to plan ahead for that. There are some frozen meals you can buy from their freezer & heat up in the communal microwave.

We had a nice stay while we were in the area & needed a decent place for an overnight, but there is not enough here in the area or at the property to entice us for another visit.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sheripie
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Had been on a Geological/archeological trip and stopped at the hot springs on the recommendation of a relative. Just pull off the highway in the middle of Moffatt, where there was nothing for miles either side of the the site, it looked desolate until you pull in through the gates and see a row of coloured chalets with notably good access for wheelchair users. We stayed in a Yurt, which was a basic hut with a bed, table and heater (fortunately it did get a little cold overnight) which was comfortable but the traffic noise from the road was disturbing at times when the trucks passed by. The bathroom facilities were outside in a warmed brick building - a little inconvenient but OK. There are three hot springs - one at 98 deg. one at 104deg. and one at 108deg. I personally loved the really hot one, watching the beautifully clear starry skies and just relaxing before bed - wonderful. The reception/hotel staff were not the most dynamic of people and we often heard the phones ringing for some time without being answered. We made our reservation on line and received no confirmation of booking, when we arrived they had no reservation for us but were aware of the e-mail, at this time of the year there was no risk of not getting a room, even a teepee!! Nevertheless, they could probably lose a significant number of bookings, so if you telephone - hang on for a while!
Breakfast was help yourself and plenty of it before your journey on.
On the whole it was not somewhere you should drive out to especially, but good to stop off at on the way home - there are nicer Hots Springs in Colorado.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank witchypooSurrey
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I went out on a limb and booked a night in one of Joyful journey's tepees. As we pulled in from the highway my heart sank as I thought it was going to be dirty and loud due to the proximity of the highway. Instead, we rounded the drive and an oasis appeared. The well manicured landscape and the beautiful views immediately made me feel like I was in an isolated paradise. The pools were nice and the staff was so pleasant. The tepee, although far from being new, was clean and fun. Overall, I was so happy to have stayed there and look forward to going back.

Some suggestions, as I work as a designer: embrace the quirks, I found the joinery in the structure to be fantastic and would have loved to have seen more of these detailed moments around the site, improve the breakfast area and shared kitchen facility - a coat of paint and some enhanced outdoor seating would be appreciated, and finally, the cost seems a bit high. I know that the economics of running a place like that would be trying, but it seemed a bit expensive, especially bringing a dog.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dgtraveling
Reviewed August 18, 2010

First, the good - the property is pretty and the soaking pools are great - esp. the large/hotest one. I hear they have a great deal for people who bring their own tent, and they let hotel guests get into the hot springs pools earlier than non-guests.

I peaked in their yurts and they were very, very nice - esp. for the price.

I suspect that if you are camping or using a yurt, it's a good deal. As you go up in price for the room, I think the value goes down but it's still worth it.

Everyone who got a spa treatment said it was good.

We stayed for a couple of days with a child. They are basically friendly folks working there, they clearly care about people and have good hearts. Although I don't think it's a good idea to bring a small child because they (understandably) try to maintain a quiet, calm environment so no one gets bothered by noise.

We rented the large suite which was supposed to have a fully functioning kitchen. Their breakfast, as others have said, leaves a bit to be desired, so we wanted to make our own breakfast. The kitchen was missing many of the basic things you need to cook with, and the only two pans that could handle eggs were so worn and the coating was so flaked that it looked like they got them for .10 cents at a garage sale. They simply were not safe to use. Given that the room cost over $200 a night, I think it would be wise to invest in decent kitchen stuff.

The bed was comfortable and the room was well appointed other than the kitchen. They have high quality mini-toiletries in the room, which is very nice.

There was no TV or phone in the room, which was great. But our mobile phone service didn't work there (AT&T SUCKS!!! - we hear Verizon DOES work there), and their WiFi never worked the entire time we were there - so if you like to be off the grid, you'll like this. If not, you might not be so comfortable.

They also very much need an ice maker on the property.

The robes seemed like they were good quality but some of them were full of holes because, they said, they have a recent dryer problem. They are very nice about providing towels.

In all, I hope the owner reads these reviews and invests a little bit more money into the place. I think it will pay for itself quickly as folks are more willing to recommend.

Overall, I'm glad we went, and I would recommend it more for folks who are crazy about hot springs and/or who stay in the lower priced accommodations.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Egghead99

Been to Joyful Journey Hot Springs Spa and Conference Center? Share your experiences!