“Very Overrated..Tourist Trap”

Minturn Saloon
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Minturn
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Southwestern, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Very Overrated..Tourist Trap”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I had read many reviews on here about how great this place was....margaritas are amazing, ribs are to die for. I have never written a negative review of anything in my life (only two positive on tripadvisor) mainly because I don't want to take the time and feel like you'll all figure it out on your own, this is my exception. Staff was great, knowledgeable and friendly. Our waitress gave us her opinion regarding which margaritas to order and food. The margaritas are ok, but c'mon if you really think your going to find the best margaritas in Colorado?!? At this point I should add my husband is from Texas and we have both lived in St Louis for some time. He made the mistake of listening to the waitress and me (based upon reviews) and going with the ribs. They are ok, not great by any means. Maybe we are spoiled from St Louis and Texas BBQ, but honestly it is overrated. My fish taco was ok, the chicken enchilada was bad. These were both recommendations and we were just very unimpressed. Best way to explain this place...Tourist Trap!!!

colorado
“Mexican food and great margaritas”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This a long standing meeting place for locals and visitors. A fun old setting with game mounts on the walls and sassy waitresses.

Visited November 2012
Denver
“Very Good”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The saloon has a large restaurant, but we didn't like all the kids in the bar area running about. Yes we have kids also, but don't think they should be allowed to run amok in the bar.
The food was great, the margaritas which they seem to think are their signature drink are below average...but loved the other pours and the wait staff. The food was good, loved the fireplace in the bar, just not all the kids playing on it. (Dangerous) The fish tacos are a treat.

Visited February 2013
Carmichael, California
“What a Kick!”
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

You can't do haute cuisine every night while in Vail. Fifteen minutes by car is Minturn, Colorado, where the Minturn Saloon is located. The six of us had a very fun night! The old place has been around since 1901, and specializes in Tex-Mex. Multiple different kinds of Margaritas are featured. We had Patrone tequila flavored with Cointreau. The chips, salsa, and fresh guacamole were a delight. We had a number of different dishes, and once the food was served the silence was deafening, everyone was so taken with the offerings. The fajitas, one made with roasted duck, were excellent. The pork ribs were meaty, juicy, and so tender that the meat fell off the bone. The BBQ sauce was superb. The camarones (shrimp) with red sauce and piquant cheese, served with rice and refried beans, were also quite tasty. We enjoyed seeing photos of celebrities that had been there, and reading some of accolades written by such luminaries including John Wayne and Yogi Berra. There has been no diminution in the quality of the food that we could discern since these greats were there. If we come back to Vail, the Minturn Saloon will definitely be on our go-to list!

Tappan NY USA
“Atmosphere and great staff”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Atmosphere and great staff, it doesn't get any better than that!

This is our tenth plus year of visiting Vail and a trip to Minturn is well worth it.
I order the ribs every time I visit, even though I think I am going to choose
something else on the huge menu. Also, I always say: "If that mirror could talk,"
referring to the large bar mirror on the back wall. I feel like I am visiting the set
of Gunsmoke, my childhood favorite show! Anyway, check it out you will enjoy.

• Visited February 2012