“Won't be returning I'm afraid ”

The Swan Country Pub and Restaurant
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Since September 2015 we are trading as a value food pub with a range of entertainment .We are child friendly , but have a policy of no children after 9pm. We have a food hygiene rating of 5.
UK
“Won't be returning I'm afraid ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Having heard The Swan was opening up again we were really pleased - as this had previously been a hidden gem. What a shame todays experience was not as expected. On arrival there were no staff (or customers) present - after about 5 mins someone came from the kitchen to greet us and take our order. We had two carvery lunches. Food was ok but plates very cold and food only luke warm. We had to find our own cutlery and the salt cellar was empty. Another concern is that it looked like a group of friends just kept wandering in and out of the kitchen area. It was very unprofessional and I'm sorry to say it but we won't be returning. I'd have expected a few groups of customers in having dinner today - perhaps they'd already been and decided not to return.

2 Thank MeandhimUk

Aberfeldy, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Thats not a fish it's a whale”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

Went for a family meal to the Swan. I had the beer battered fish and it was absolutely gorgeous - the best fish I've tasted in years and the size - well it was huge - couldn't finish it. My son had the New Yorker burger and he said it was brilliant. The staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for you, We had my 2 year old niece and 9 year old nephew with us and it is definitely a family friendly pub,

Well done

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Helen M
Chester, United Kingdom
“Definitely be back!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Been here many times before, but since the new management have taken over this has been the best experience yet, friendly atmosphere, a warm welcome and lovely food. Highly recommend this lovely local pub and will definitely be returning again! Keep it up!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Smileysue0
“Back again. But feels better this time.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

A family visit to the swan. Under new management yet again. Come on punch taverns get your act together and start supporting landlords not killing them. Anyway this time I had a nice feeling about the place. Fantastic welcome. Good beers and seem to be well kept. Not bad prices. Family friendly kids are welcomed not shunned to a corner. The menu is cheap and cheerful but just what we used to expect from a pub before the advent of gastropubs. This is one gem I really hope survives. It needs your support and to start with understanding as the previous owners have left debts that complicated payment by card and the wifi. All the issues are in hand. I will be back soon, thank you guys.

2 Thank Jimthegardener
gwfwyeknot, Owner at The Swan Country Pub and Restaurant, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Jim
As the previous owners of the Swan we would like to say that we have not left one single debt at the Swan unlike several of the previous tenants before us. When we took over we had many debt collectors to deal with. If there are issues with the card payment machine, it is not related to us. The Wifi was installed by Punch, again never worked properly, nothing to do with us as Punch pay for it all!!
Please think before making comments for all to see, yes there have been debts at the Swan, but not any left by us!
Chester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's nice to have a good local pub again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

I live locally to the Swan and I've seen it change hands a lot over the recent years. Quite recently it was changed in to a fine dinning restaurant and needless to say,failed.However,the new owner that has taken over this week has already changed so much. Reinstated the darts and pool table and promises sky sports is on the way.The new landlady is friendly and interested in the locals making us feel very welcome. It's been a very long time since anyone has felt welcome in the Swan but already I've seen lots of familiar faces starting to drink in there again and I don't blame them, The Swan has become my local again and I highly recommend it. Can't really comment on the food as I haven't had the chance to try it yet but the menu looks good, normal pub grub and the prices are really cheap.I wish the new landlady luck,a good start in my eyes

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Pascalhk
gwfwyeknot, Owner at The Swan Country Pub and Restaurant, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Sir
We are pleased that you are happy with the new landlady and the changes she has made at the Swan. However as the previous owners we would like to mention that many locals who chose to visit us enjoyed our welcoming hospitality and those who dined expressed their enjoyment on many reviews which helped us achieve our number 1 ranking out of the 2 pubs in Higher Kinnerton. We were not a fine dining restaurant but a pub offering good food with homemade dishes such as Lasagne and the famous Babylon burger! We also reinstated the Dart board some months ago.
We chose to leave the Swan as the location was not for us. We wish Charlene and her staff every success for the future and thank all the people who did try to support us.