All reviews chef bob cattle drive white water rafting horseback riding family vacation fantastic week other guests trading post line dancing skill level experienced riders spent the week fly fishing cowboy boots holiday of a lifetime colorado river shooting range
Selected filters
Reviewed October 2, 2018

It pains me to give Black Mountain Ranch a 5. Cause this place place straight up goes to 11. I went alone and my friends are begging me to shut up about it. I booked it on a bit of a whim, and I can say every review I read and their website did not do it justice. The scenery, the riding, the food...outstanding. OK...and the saloon. But to be honest the kicker was the staff there. I've never been welcomed like that anywhere I've gone. I'm trying to get family and friends to go next year, but if not, I'll go alone again just cause it's that good. So in short....just go.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed September 21, 2018 via mobile

I decided to take this trip 3 years ago...it just took three years for the perfect time! I did this alone, for my 50th birthday present to myself. I am so glad I did. The people are friendly, the ranch is wonderful, the views are breathtaking and the horses are beautiful! This was the last official week of the season and our group was small. But the people I met, I think, will be forever friends. You have to do this if a dude ranch is on your bucket list... and you have to go to Black Mountain Ranch. Nowell, his family and staff are some of the kindest, welcoming people you could ever hope to meet. I would go every year if I could. I highly recommend the Black Mountain Ranch to anyone looking for a great natural, horse experience.

Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Karen R
Reviewed September 18, 2018 via mobile

This ranch is amazing! It was the best vacation we have ever had. The food, acomodations, staff and ranch critters were beyond OUTSTANDING!!We were so sad to leave. We will DEFINITELY will be back. They're motto is ask and you shall receive. The owners genuinely want you to have the best experience possible. If you want to just relax you can, if you want to learn how to ride horses better (like me) take a lesson from Chris and nikola!! Amazing people I will never forget. Thank you black mountain ranch for an unforgettable vacation and life experience.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pat C
Reviewed August 15, 2018

Had a great time with the family. They went out of their way to make accommodations for 3 generations of my family. Will do again. The horses are well trained. The fishing is fantastic. They provided amazing food including gluten free food.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2018

I have traveled the world and had amazing experiences in every corner of the globe, and this week at BMR rates as one of the best weeks of my life. Amy, the head wrangler, takes great pride (and does an incredible job) of speaking to each guest and assigning a horse that matches the guest's experience, competence, and most importantly - their motivations for the week. A couple of examples: I had a lot of horseback riding experience, but a lot in the distant past and very little Western style. My 12-year old son had only been on a horse once before on a silly nose-to-tail trail ride. Instead of going with only that limited information, Amy probed further and discovered that we both were very motivated to ride often and adventurously, and moreover that my son is very athletic and could handle a more spirited horse. As a result, we both had spirited but manageable horses that we rode in beautiful country for hours every day, loping and galloping whenever we wanted, and had an absolutely spectacular experience. Meanwhile, every guest that we met during the week received a perfect match with their horse (some wanted well-behaved, gentle horses, others wanted horses with stamina, etc etc). Moreover, there was tons of flexibility - we could ride when we wanted and where we wanted - private rides with our wonderful wrangler Josh, a big group ride to an overnight pack camp, even a very cool cattle drive at the end of the week.

Meanwhile, the horseback riding, as awesome as it was, wasn't the entire experience. We went white water rafting, went to the rodeo, and had a party in the saloon. The cabins were clean, the hot tubs/jacuzzis were refreshing after a day's riding, the food was fantastic and plentiful, and without exception, every single member of the staff was kind, friendly, and incredibly interesting.

My son said that this was the best week of his life. As for me, if it wasn't the very best week of my life, it was in the top few. I will be back - hopefully every year!

Date of stay: August 2018