Black Mountain Ranch
Comfort Inn Vail Valley(Eagle)(Great Value!)
$139
$123
ComfortInn
$120
Orbitz.com
$138
AmericInn by Wyndham Eagle(Eagle)(Great Value!)
$100
Eagle River Lodge(Eagle)(Great Value!)
$126
$85
$170
AscendHotels
Hotel Eastin(Kremmling)(Great Value!)
$50
Allington Inn & Suites of Kremmling(Kremmling)(Great Value!)
$109
$89
All reviewschef bobcattle drivewhite water raftinghorseback ridingfamily vacationother guestsfantastic weekskeet shootingriding abilityskill levelline dancingcowboy hatfly fishingprofessional photographerspent the weekovernight campshooting range
Reviewed October 15, 2015

My friends and I are all advanced riders who own their own horses, so when selecting a ranch, most important to us are quality of horses, quality of the rides, time spent in the saddle and adult only week. Good food and lodging are a bonus for us... Black MT ranch delivers on all levels. Amazing, (responsive horses) (the best of any ranch we have been to so far), rides, food, cabins and staff.

We had our own wrangler (s) for the week and were able to ride to our experience level with lots of trotting and loping on forward going, responsive horses. Rides are am and pm and a couple of all day rides (9:30-3:00ish) Food is awesome with lots of choices everyday and special cookouts etc (some buffets, some plated dinners), including unlimited red and white wine at dinner. The Saloon is great fun and awesome for drink of your choice after a long days ride. It is honor system, and when not staffed, still open, but make your own. All of the staff are amazing, from the dining room to wranglers, they could not be more welcoming and friendly. A big shout out to Vic, Landon and Kyle for the fabulous rides. The owners (Nowell, Bryce and Cyndy) treat you as friends and even welcome you to their home for a cocktail party later in the week.

My group choose not to raft, as we only wanted to ride as much as possible, and this was not a problem for them to accommodate us. We participated in the wrangler games which were great fun and a couple rides moving cattle which is always fun and interesting. Cattle class presented by Chris (good horseman and teacher) was fun and informative.

If you don't want to just ride, there are always other activities available. Again, we only wanted to ride, so didn't partake in the shooting, archery, etc. Scenery is beautiful and rides are varied. We were in a 3 bedroom cabin and it was great. All cabins are private, and nothing too far from "all the action". I highly recommend this ranch. The Mae's do a fabulous job of providing a quality ranch experience while making you feel like family. And as a bonus, there is no cell service and very limited wifi. We consider this a bonus as we come to unplug!

• Stayed: September 2015, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2015

If your looking for the ultimate Cowboy experience, this is the place to go. Super horses, amazing food, unbelievable staff, clean and comfortable accommodation, i honestly cannot recommend this place highly enough.
Every day is packed with things to do, riding, archery, shooting, fly fishing, leather work, cattle roping, white water rafting, the list goes on and on.
I was especially impressed with the horse riding schedule, so many trails to choose from, and it makes no difference what your riding ability is because everyone is catered for.
The cattle drive was one of the highlights for me, bringing the cattle back in from pasture in true cowboy / cowgirl fashion ( but you have to find them first :-) ).
I was on an adult only week but i can only imagine how much the children will love it here.You arrive as a guest but go home feeling like family.
If your looking to live the cowboy dream, i suggest you book to come here.

Room Tip: All accommodation is beautifully designed, clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank Claire B
Reviewed October 10, 2015

I wasn't totally sure what a dude ranch was when I was first looking up ranches to come stay at (I'm British), I just had dreams of wearing jeans and a cowgirl hat, riding horses in beautiful mountains and trails and having the experience of rounding up cattle.

Black mountain ranch was so much more than I had imagined. On top of an amazing week of riding, learning how to ride better, exploring the beautiful countryside, I was blown away by how delicious the food was (like, unbelievably good), the cabin we stayed in was more like a luxury mountain villa (I had actually thought it would be more rustic) with real log fires, soft mattresses, warm duvets. There are hot tubs nestled about which I loved and at night you can see so many stars. My instagram feed is full of beautiful views and funny moments.

All the people there are lovely. Really genuine, warm, kind and you get to know each other a bit over the week so it's really sad saying goodbye. There's a bar at the bottom of the ranch which is super cute, and I had many excellent evenings there playing pool, also learned to 'cowboy swing' which is kind of like swing dancing.

A few months later I'm still thinking about the happy times we had there and we're already planning to come back next season :)

• Stayed: August 2015, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kateldn
Reviewed September 30, 2015

Wow!! How can we thank the staff and owners of the ranch enough? For myself and my partner, John, they made it a truly unique, experience of a lifetime.
Firstly, I must apilogise for the lateness of my review. We stayed the last week in July/early August. Since getting home, we have had internet problems.
We very nearly didnt even get to the ranch as we had a flight cancellation from the UK, which meant we missed our connecting flight to Denver.
However, Nowell May, the ranch owner, pulled out all the stops to get us there. And huge thanks to him and lovely Seth, who agreed to collect us from Denver airport for the long 3 and half hour drive to the ranch (he was working early next day), we would not have made it.
But what made this an amazing holiday of a lifetime was the staff, they just go that extra mile to make it all perfect. From Bob, the chef,s phenominal food, to the beautiful scenery, the gorgeous cabins. If you are a couple, try and get Castle Peak Suite. The hot tub is directly outside your door. We used it every day.
The pack camp is an abolutely thrilling experience, with very strong margaritas, great food and the infamous, 'loo with a view'. Nothing quite like it.
I have to thank my gorgeous and trusty steed for the week, Nellie. Adorable. As were all the animals at the ranch. Nellie kept me safe and I put my complete trust in her, especially on some of the steeper trails.
You can do what you want onthis holiday or nothing at all. But go for everything they offer, white water rafting, rodeo, pack camp. The cattle drive. All absolutely brilliant.
Just want to say a massive thankyou to everyone who made our holiday totally unique, and all the other guests. We met some lovely folk.
And the cocktail party at the owners house is also a great experience.
Thankyou Seth for a very interesting last evening. Both John and I will never forget.
If anyone is thinking of a ranch holiday.....GO TO BLACK MOUNTAIN RANCH. Its the best. And the best thing of all, it is all run on trust. No locks on cabin doors, but thats okay, so refreshing to know your completely safe. If you get a dri k from the bar in the day, most times ther is no bar staff. You help yourself and put it onthe bar tab, same in the shop. And because there is this trust ethos, no one wants to abuse that . Its sime
Massive, massive thanks to all at BMR.
I will defi nately be back.

Room Tip: If you are a couple, Castle Peak Suite has a hot tub right outside the door
  • Stayed: July 2015, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nickyjiver
Reviewed September 28, 2015

The owners and staff are friendly and helpful they really want you to have a great time and go out of their way to make this happen. They know the fabulous horses really well so they pair you with the perfect mount. The rooms are comfortable, food out of this world (thanks chef Bob) and scenery is spectacular. I cannot think of one negative thing to say about our stay and we really had a trip to remember, we are already planning to return next year and know we will be with friends.

• Stayed: September 2015, traveled as a couple