Black Mountain Ranch
Comfort Inn Vail Valley(Eagle)(Great Value!)
$139
$123
ComfortInn
$120
Travelocity
$138
AmericInn by Wyndham Eagle(Eagle)(Great Value!)
$100
Eagle River Lodge(Eagle)(Great Value!)
$126
$85
$167
Hotel Eastin(Kremmling)(Great Value!)
$50
Allington Inn & Suites of Kremmling(Kremmling)(Great Value!)
$109
$94
AllingtonKremmling
$89
All reviewschef bobcattle drivewhite water raftinghorseback ridingfamily vacationother guestsfantastic weekskeet shootingriding abilityskill levelline dancingcowboy hatfly fishingprofessional photographerspent the weekovernight campshooting range
Reviewed August 2, 2015

This ranch is run buy a family. They treat all of their wranglers and staff like family and that feeling seems to spread to all the guests. By the second day we felt like we were all part of one big family on vacation together. We spoke with some of the other guests that have been to other Dude Ranches and they said this is by far the best one of all. The food was awesome, the weather was awesome, the service was awesome, the activities were awesome, and the on-site Saloon was a big hit too. I'm looking forward to next time.

Room Tip: You will be happy with any room!
  • Stayed: July 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2015

We have been to BMR multiple times - including once with 5 grandchildren and once during an adults only week.
No matter - all weeks have been a full and outstanding experience. Horses, wranglers, owners, food, cabins, waiters, pool, shooting, fishing, the saloon, the cattle drive, roping, branding and nice people who are also visiting.
If you want glitter and glitz, dressing for dinner, nose to tail ridding only, and snooty people, don't come here.

• Stayed: July 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chief_Ouray
Reviewed July 18, 2015

This was our second visit to BMR, and we loved it just as much (or more) as the first time. We travel a lot with our 3 kids, ages 19,14 & 12, and BMR, along with Adventures By Disney, is our favorite family vacation. We rarely return to the same place twice, but Black Mountain is special. Not only is the location beautiful, the staff professional, warm and welcoming, and the food fabulous, but BMR provides us with an escape from the distractions that pull us away from each other. The horseback riding is the center of the activity, and horses are well matched to their riders. Each family is assigned a wrangler, who plans and leads their rides for the week and helps to coordinate other activities as well. A highlight for our family is the ride to pack camp, where everyone bonds over margaritas and campfire fajitas in a spectacular setting, before bunking down in family tents for the night.
While we enjoyed time together as a family, our children also felt free to "hang out" with the other young guests, playing pool or ping pong, feeding the baby goats, or helping to care for the horses. There is very little wifi, no TV and my children really didn't seem to miss it - they were too busy being engaged in the life of the ranch & meeting new friends. My 12 year old loved it so much, that she was in tears at the thought of leaving. She is enthusiastically campaigning for a third visit!
My husband & I also enjoyed spending evenings in the saloon, getting to know the other families. Many come from outside the US, some multiple times. The staff is friendly & enthusiastic and seem to enjoy interacting with the guests - we even found a Hoosier cowboy to play euchre with us.
This is a wonderful family destination - I can't say enough good things about our experience! The memories we made will be discussed at family functions for years to come :)

Stayed: July 2015, traveled with family
2  Thank Amy_L1965
Reviewed July 12, 2015

I'm very tempted to write a review saying that BMR is just okay, and there are other ranches you might want to check out. The reason I would write that is to insure that there would be room for us to go back next year.

But since we already made our reservations to return next year, I'll go ahead and tell the truth. This was an amazing trip. The are really so many things packed into the week that it would be very difficult to describe them all except to say that it was an incredible experience. Who would think that you could be stimulated and relaxed at the same time; that you could feel like you were experiencing something entirely new and challenging, yet felt like you were spending a week with family and old friends? The families that own the ranch and their staff are amazing accommodating and well trained. The horses are extremely well-behaved and sure-footed. The food is excellent; the lodging is great; the entertainment is fun; and there seem to be no issues; they treat every "problem" as an opportunity to find a solution. What great attitudes! We met a lot of new friends, and even signed up to return next year with another couple we met there.

On the last night there, I turned to one of the other guests and said, "You know, I've done a lot of pretty cool things in my life. I've been bungee jumping, cliff diving, flew a top gun training plane in air combat, stock car racing, mountain climbing, sky diving, and I ran with the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain. But today has to be one of the top 10 days of my life."

If you've ever considered going to a dude ranch, or having a "cowboy" experience, or being part of a working cattle ranch, this is the place.

Stayed: June 2015, traveled with family
1  Thank Scott G
Reviewed July 9, 2015 via mobile

We have owned a large ranch for 20 years but wanted a family vacation ranch experience. We chose Black mountain and really enjoyed every minute. It is located about 1 hour from Vail- here is a great summary:
THE GOOD:
STAFF: awesome. Very accommodating and went over the top to please. These people love the ranch life and are there to please you. They are not locals that just work there. These people are from all over the world - coming to Black Mountain to intentionally live that life. They love it and it shows.
FOOD- amazing. Great chef, great ranch style food served 3 times a day. Although no snacks are available between meals- you should bring your own and keep that in your cabin for those times you get the munchies. We LOVED the food.
CABINS- awesome. We stayed in Elk park- the largest premium cabin there. All seemed nice but the 4 newer cabins are a bit more $ and likely worth it. I suggest staying closer to the saloon to avoid any of the walk you can. It's uphill and at that elevation worth thinking about but all are right there close by.
ACTIVITIES: great array of activities. We were actually concerned we might get bored but no. We horseback ride daily, shot skeet, archery, kids swam in the pool (it is basic however so you likely won't want to hang out at the pool at all). We played ping pong at the saloon, camped overnight (worth doing) went to the rodeo and white water rafted. There is always something going on. Thursday night they had a live band and it was a fun night for all.

THE BAD:
PHOTOGRAPHER- this is minor and a strange one but I had to mention it. They have an on staff photographer that is constantly taking pics to share at the end of the week. Great right? How about when you want her to take a picture with YOUR phone/ camera so you can easily share with your friends and family. NO. She literally refused to take a pic with my phone of my boy and I. What? Even Disney photographers will use your camera if asked. Very off putting and rude in my opinion.
INTERNET/PHONE- there is really no internet or phone service there. None.
They do have internet but it is really really bad. So bad you really can't get on it. ZERO phone service. Nothing they can do about that though. Just takes some getting used to. It's good to get away but it sure would be nice to have 15 mins a day to check in. Just be aware of that because we all live on the Internet.

SUMMARY:
This IS the ranch experience you are looking for. Put your fears aside and go for it. You'll be glad you did. :)

Stayed: June 2015, traveled with family