Black Mountain Ranch
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Mc Coy
See available hotels
Hotel Eastin(Kremmling)
View Hotel
All reviewschef bobcattle drivewhite water raftinghorseback ridingfamily vacationother guestsfantastic weekskeet shootingriding abilitypack tripskill levelcastle peakline dancingcowboy hatfly fishingprofessional photographerspent the week
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My sister-in-law and I had long talked about going on a dude ranch vacation and finally decided that we would go this summer. The sheer number of dude ranches was daunting but after a lot of searching and reading reviews online, we decided on Black Mountain Ranch, and we are so glad we did. We just got back from one of BMR's adult-only weeks, and had a most amazing time. The setting is beautiful, the facilities well-maintained, and the animals all very well cared for. From day one we felt welcomed by the owners and staff whose goal is to make sure you have a wonderful time. You truly can do as much or as little as you wish. We were mostly interested in horseback riding and were very pleased to be able to go on different rides every day, except the day we went whitewater rafting on the Colorado River (awesome). We also took advantage of the offer of riding lessons, and by the end of the week both felt we'd learned a lot. One evening we took a long ride up to "pack camp" and spent an amazing evening around a campfire and then sleeping under the stars (though tents were set up). The food was incredible and bountiful. Others have pointed out how accommodating the staff is and they are correct. We were not able to stay the full week, and our wrangler rearranged her schedule so she could take us on our own private ride on our last morning. All in all, it was a fantastic experience, and one we'd like to repeat again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Heidi B
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our family will visit this amazing ranch for the 9th consecutive summer this July. Every visit has had a character of its own, and every single one has been wonderful. The May family welcomes us like their own every time, graciously accommodating an assortment of special requests over the years. The wranglers have never failed to be highly capable and engaging. The food is fantastic - way beyond expectations. The saloon is a great social center for all ages. We speak so fondly of some of the horses, people sometimes think they are actually ours! BMR somehow manages to make guests feel cowboy rustic and pampered at the same time. Another reviewer calls it a magical place and I have to agree. I hope we are still visiting with our kids when they have families of their own. Highest recommendations.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank cmah_mom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My 8 year old daughter and I visited a few years back and everything about this place is magical! Owners, wranglers, horses are awesome and the food was amazing! We still talk about this vacation to this very day. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank kandofrank
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have visited this ranch for the last 2 summers and I am hoping to be back this year. Black Mountain Ranch is everything you could want from a dude ranch vacation because everything is tailored to you! You can partake in all the activities that are offered or spend time lounging by the pool. But regardless of how you spend your time you will be surrounded by an amazing landscape and attended to by staff that will become your family by the end of the week. The atmosphere created by the Black Mountain family & staff is really what makes this dude ranch unique, by the time you leave you're no longer a guest but a part of a large horse loving family of wranglers that will keep you missing the ranch until you are able to return again. I highly suggest this ranch for a family or adult vacation. The only problem is once you go to Black Mountain, you won't want to vacation anywhere else!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Alicia301
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My son and I visited the Black Mountain Ranch the first week of September. What can I say? Well, I will start with the pros and cons.

The Cons: Well, there aren't any.

The Pros: It was an experience of a lifetime. My son and I had a a fantastic time. The people were great and extremely helpful, we couldn't have asked for a better group of folks. We were treated as if we were more than guests. From the wranglers to the people in food service went out of their way to make our trip enjoyable. Enjoyed all the meals whether it was a sit down dinner or a lunch on the trail; the meals couldn't have been more enjoyable. The horses surpassed my expectations. The staff tailored the horses to your ability.The trail rides were the best with amazing scenery to boot. The saloon after the rides was a great touch. It gave all the guests and wranglers a chance to meet and get to know each other. I can't thank the May family and all employees enough for the hospitality, fun, activities and for being so accommodating. For me it wa a retun to a time when I was a kid working on a ranch in Colorado some 50 years ago--the cattle drive. Because of this trip my son has also fallen in love with the mountains and the West.

I would recomend Black Mountain Ranch to everyone who wats to get the feel of the mountains and the way of the west. My main activity was horse riding, but there are other activities such as fishing, skeet shooting, white water rafting and the glorious scenery.

I plan to return in the near future. Again, I want to thank the Black Mountain Ranch for a wonderful week.

Jim from St. Louis, Mo