“Black Mountain Ranch was amazing” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Mountain Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mc Coy
Black Mountain Ranch
Portage, Indiana
“Black Mountain Ranch was amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

this vacation at bmr was one of the top vacations i have ever been on. the staff and the owners were the nicest and friendliest people you will ever meet in the world. they were always there for anything you wanted or needed. the food was outstanding and plenty of it, if you went hungry at bmr it was your own fault. the riding, the scenery the other guests were just amazing. i highly reccomend anyone who wants to have the time of their life visit this ranch as soon as possible.

Room Tip: cabins were very spacious and comfy
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jesse f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

So my wife finally talked me into going here for a summer vacation. I was very hesitant as I'm a type of person that likes sand between their toes when taking a trip. Needless to say, this was my most favorite vacation--and we've been on many! I got to be a cowboy for a week and loved it...from the trail rides and cattle drive with the beautiful scenery, to the skeet shooting, the petting zoo, the four wheelers, "my" horse Bandit, the saloon(!), the food, and of course, the endearing staff. You can do as much or as little as you'd like and either way, take home a life-changing experience. You simply can not go wrong with BMR.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank firstplaceace
DC Suburb
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

Pros: The food was a highlight and attention to detail at mealtime was much appreciated! You are treated like family and it is very genuine. The location is amazing.....some of the most breathtaking views you will ever see. One reason we chose this ranch was the private accommodations. The saloon is also a plus and a lot of fun, not for young children. This is def not a dry ranch like many I reviewed. The hot tubs were a huge relief after a long day. Pack camp will be an experience of a lifetime.....one reason we choose BMR. The wranglers are very well handpicked and are a huge assess to this ranch. However, If you are use to riding horses ......this is your dream vacation...Which leads me to.....

Cons: I was not prepared at all for the long rides and once your 2 hours into the
mountains guess what, you have to ride all the way back. Up and down treacherous, very
steep terrain. When a wrangler says "I hope this is the right way".....I just wanted to whip out
my GPS and get home! If your afraid of heights this is not for you. My horse was not well
chosen for my riding inexperience but eventually was given a better horse. If you are a person
who likes to feel in control.....this may not be for you....if your a free spirit, don't delay!

I have since recommended BMR to many of my friends who are "horse people". We made some great memories and I lived outside my box and have not regretted it!

I almost forgot....no one prepared us for the altitude adjustment. We are very active and in good health. To walk from the dining hall to our cabin required us stopping to catch our breath....and not because we over ate.....when we arrived in our cabin we would crash for 30 min to regain ourselves.....no one ever mentioned this and we were shocked! Thought you should know.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank CoCoMocha
Westfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

If you're looking for an experience your family will cherish for many, many years, you will be hard pressed to find a better spot than the Black Mountain Ranch. After two days on the ranch, my 5yr old said he wanted to live there, and the rest of the crew had a feeling we would be going back year after year. Horseback riding, White water rafting, Pack Camp, Skeet shooting, fishing, roping, cattle drives, and a good old fashion rodeo - all in one special week that cannot be replicated on the east coast. While my wife was a little apprehensive at first, she fully embraced the experience once she found the beds were quite comfortable and the food was incredible. The May family certainly welcomed us into their family with a graciousness and sincerity that you will never find at a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. This was by far the best family vacation we have ever taken, and I plan on going back year after year.

5 Thank Sevag V
london`
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

Cannot fault anything.
We were a family of five, from England over for the tird week of august.
It was all very well executed and i would heartily recommend it to all.

1 Thank harridan
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed at the Ranch in the first week of August, with two children (8 and 5). What can we say that the other reviews have not? Our kids thought it was the best holiday ever and we are inclined to agree.

We were put in a three bedroom cottage between the Saloon and Dining Hall, which was perfect as it meant little climbing up and down the hill. The accommodations were very good - rustic and simple, but comfortable. But you don't come here for the indoors.

Outdoors, our week ran as follows. Sunday afternoon was settling in, meeting everyone, watching the locals practice roping in the arena, trying our hands at lassoing and enjoying the welcome BBQ that night. Our week had 29 guests, mainly families with kids 8-13. This was a great number and the kids got on extremely well. Our two were often off playing around the Ranch for the rest of the week with the other kids. We also visited the Trading Post and we all borrowed pairs of cowboy boots for the week (much better for riding than anything else) and rented chinks for the week.

Monday morning, after a huge buffet breakfast, saw the introductory ride. We met our wrangler for the week (each family gets their own wrangler, which gives you continuity in experience and flexibility in choice) and horses for the week. They take a lot of time to match everyone up and get you comfortable saddled. The first ride was about 2-2.5 hours and allowed everyone to get settled and the wranglers to check experience levels. A lovely lunch followed before a few of us headed down to the shooting range. Great fun, especially for the kids. In the late afternoon, we grabbed our horses and rode up the mountain to a lake for a BBQ dinner. We had a little evening thunderstorm, but slickers were provided and it only added to the atmosphere. Once again, food was great, and the kids went nuts playing around and on the lake while the adults got to know each other. When then rode back down the mountain for drinks in the saloon.

On Tuesday they split the group into two, so they could run two separate nights at the overnight camp. I think they did this very well, putting together families which seemed to be getting on well. Our group consisted of three families with kids around the same age. On this day we went white water rafting while the other "team" went to the overnight camp. Rafting was lovely - beautiful weather and relatively easy rapids so everyone could participate. The raft ride itself lasts about 2.5-3 hours, so plenty of time on the water. That night we had a full service dinner in the dining hall before retiring to the saloon.

On Wednesday, we had the morning to ourselves. Each family could do as they pleased with their horses and wranglers. Some went fly fishing, some riding, some shooting and some relaxing. We went shooting again. After another enjoyable lunch, we saddled up and rode up to the overnight camp. The camp is a permanent fixture during the season. The tends have cots with thick sleeping bags and fitted floors. We enjoyed a hilarious campfire (Zombie Hobos!) and a great mexican meal, before s'mores. The kids played in the camp and explored the forest until they were dirty and tired.

On Thursday morning, we awoke at camp and enjoyed the early morning views and breakfast before riding back down to the ranch. Each of these rides, by the way, is between 1-4 hours depending on your interest. More experienced riders could take longer and more difficult routes, while others took more direct ways home. Arriving back in camp we had the rest of the day to ourselves (while the other "team" had their day of rafting). We grabbed our wrangler and went for a terrific 2.5 hour horse ride perfectly suited to our family. By this time, our 8 year old was guiding her own horse while our 5 year old was "ponied" (led on his own horse) by our wrangler. So we were altogether for the rides. That night, after another great dinner, a local muso came to provide free entertainment in the saloon.

On Friday, I went early for fishing on the Colorado river with our wrangler. When we got back, each family went for a picnic lunch ride with their wrangler. Destinations varied depending on what you wanted to do. We did a short ride to a nearby pond, enjoyed lunch and fished for trout in the pond (caught 7 in 15 minutes). In the afternoon, everyone was bussed into Steamboat Springs for a free night (shopping and dinner) and then the weekly rodeo. We sat as a group at the rodeo and took notes on the roping skills of the cowboys.

On Saturday, the entire group went out on the cattle muster. Once again, more experienced riders could go further and into more difficult areas, while our family (with the 5 year old) went to easier areas. But we all ended up shooing the cows down the mountain and into the arena. After lunch and a bit more lassoing practice, we went into the arena to attempt to catch calfs with the lasso. This was terrific fun - a true City Slicker moment. On our day, captured calves were being branded, so we got to do the whole shebang. Eventually, those who wanted to, could help push the cattle back onto the mountain. This was my favourite ride of the week as the wranglers gave us total free rein to take our horses as we saw and there was real teamwork among the guests to deal with these stubborn cows. After a quick shower, we all visited one of the owner's chalets for cocktails before back to camp for a final big dinner and dance in the saloon.

On Sunday, all the families departed. It was a brilliant week. I loved the schedule - a good mix of fixed events, but also time for flexible choices. Lots of flexibility for different levels of horse experience too. All the staff were terrific with our kids, particularly the 5 year old who was well looked after and included in everything. Food was uniformly great and the service, from every single staff member, was excellent. Our kids had the best time playing with animals (lots of dogs, plus a small petting zoo, not to mention horses and cows), being outdoors, fishing, shooting, rafting, camping, exploring and dancing. As adults, we loved the time with the kids but also the getting back to nature ourselves. Talk has already begun of returning in a few years. A brilliant experience for the family.

TIP: The Ranch is at 8,000 feet and at times you will ride to 9,000 or even 10,000 feet. The Ranch is also on the side of a hill, so it's a lot of walking up and down. We spent four days in Denver beforehand, which incidentally also helped us get used to the altitude. I would recommend spending a day or two in Denver (or elsewhere on the Colorado plateau) for a few days before the Ranch, especially if flying from overseas. If you flew directly overseas to the Ranch, the jet lag and altitude would be a lot to deal with in the first few days.

10 Thank torking
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

This was my second, and certainly not my last, trip to BMR. I am single and typically travel solo, and nowhere have I felt more welcome than at BMR. The May family adopts its guests and makes them part of the family. What do you want to do today? Short ride, long ride? Fast ride, slow ride? Like your horse? Need a different style? Want to just hang out? Interested in shooting? How about fishing? Want to learn how to rope? Feed the goats? It's up to you, the guest, to design your experience--and there's no way to go wrong! Everything is fun, but at the same time relaxing. And I don't mean that they assault you with questions--no one is in your face, it's all very laid back, it's all about enjoying the beauty of the ranch and the area and the people and the experience and just doing what you feel like doing.

I used to always travel overseas, usually doing walking holidays, but since going to BMR last year, I'm just not as interested. I want to go back to the ranch; and see Nowell et al and the fabulous wranglers like Jackie and Paige and Lee; and ride "my" horse; and help groom and doctor the horses; and watch the horses stampede in and out each day; and help feed the baby goats; and hang out in the saloon playing pool and shooting the breeze; and meet up with all my fellow guests at meals to hear how their day has been; and enjoy the fabulous food served up by Chef Kris and Sous Chef Brandon. You just can't go wrong. I'll be back next year, like clockwork.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank river2010

Been to Black Mountain Ranch? Share your experiences!