“Quaint and trendy.”
Review of Manitou Springs

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Pittsburgh, PA
31 helpful votes
“Quaint and trendy.”
Reviewed August 4, 2010

The historic downtown is filled with interesting shops and excellent restaurants. Perfect location, central to all of the local sites and not too far from the sights of Colorado Springs. Very walkable town, enjoy the creek/river running along the main shopping street.

Michigan
31 helpful votes
“Inhospitable policies ruin the charm of this town”
Reviewed July 3, 2010

Unfortunately for the merchants of downtown Manitou Springs, a scenic town with Pike's Peak as its backdrop, the local government seems more intent on tricking visitors than making them welcome.

Back home in Michigan, I researched some cool stops before visiting my son in Denver. An old-time arcade in Manitou Springs seemed like it would be a fun stop after visiting the Garden of the Gods. The streets were a little weird, but we finally found a big sign pointing to a parking area during a rainstorm.

The arcade was fun, although we lost money in many of the machines. A pizza place was decent, if pricey. Some hustlers downtown wouldn't leave us alone, even when my 11-year-old son was sick over a trash barrel. When my oldest son finally hinted that we'd appreciate some privacy, they finally backed off a little, muttering about the "mainstream" visitors (never thought of myself as mainstream til that day)! We got to the car as fast as possible.

The straw that broke the camel's back was getting a parking ticket. We looked all over what appeared to be a free parking lot, but couldn't figure out why we'd gotten the ticket. Finally, we saw a sign posted very high on a pole. We would have never thought to look that far into the air, even if it hadn't been pouring rain when we parked.

Obviously, the town is geared to take advantage of visitors, which is a shame. Because of this, I would recommend skipping Manitou Springs unless you're in the company of someone who lives in the town and knows their way around. In my opinion, the local government should concentrate much more on patrolling the vagrants (I have nothing against panhandlers to a certain degree but this group was obnoxious, insistent and kind of scary), and less on finding sneaky ways to extract parking fines from the people they should be welcoming.

That said, we loved the rest of Colorado. It's so beautiful. We love the laid-back atmosphere, love the mountains, love the abundance of healthy food choices, love that there are so many things to see and do without paying big parking fees. Hidee Gold Mine in Central City was our most expensive splurge, but very worth it. Garden of the Gods was fantastic, Red Rocks is amazing, the gold-domed State Capitol Building in Denver was interesting too (not air-conditioned, be warned). One of my few public transportation experiences was in Denver and it was enjoyable; the bus driver was very hospitable. We also ate at an artsy Asian restaurant in Denver that was pretty cool.

I'd highly recommend visiting Colorado, but I don't recommend visiting Manitou Springs!

Nederland, Texas
12 helpful votes
“Best vacation ever!!!!”
Reviewed June 23, 2010

First of all our hotel, Best Western Skyway Suites in Manitou Springs was excellent. Can't say enough about Jesse and Margie!!!! The room was spotless, comfortable, perfect location, extravagant continental breakfast was more than we needed each morning, bedroom/accommodations were excellent. We flew into Denver then rented a car and drove to Manitou Springs!!!! The location is perfect to see Pikes Peak - we drove the 19 mile highway up - had 6 inches of snow on the top on June 15th - gorgeous view in every direction. Cog doesn't stay but about 45 minutes at the top - it's a made house when they unload at the Summit! We drove over to Buena Vista, down to Royal Gorge (a definite must) absolutely gorgeous - loved the aerial tram and incline railway! Toured the Holy Cross Winery in Canon City, drove the Gold Tour Scenic Byway both sides, saw Cripple Creek and Victor, saw Garden of the Gods, breathtaking plus more views of Pikes Peak and lastly Seven Falls - unbelievably gorgeous there! It was the best vacation I've ever taken! All the shops in Manitou Springs were very nice and the Stagecoach Inn had excellent food and creekside dining.

South Carolina
82 helpful votes
“Quaint town to spend the day”
Reviewed June 3, 2010

What a quaint place to spend the day. Lots of shops, museums and natural beauty to see. The places to eat all had personality and the one we tried had great food too!

Miami
“A beatiful place in Colorado”
Reviewed November 5, 2009

A beatiful place in ColoradoManitou Springs, Colorado is a beatiful place. All the houses, hotels and stores in the main street are old, as if you were in an old town in Europe.

The Library is beatiful and the garden around make that the place look like a story.

You can find an old fashion Christmas store, an store where you can find all kind of bears. Anything that you find there is pretty even the gas station.

If you drive a little more, you find Gardens of the Gods, the rocks are so magnifisent that you can not believe that a place like that exist in the middle of nothing.

I recomend that if you have to go to Colorado Springs don't miss Manitou Springs.

Been to Manitou Springs? Share your experiences!