“Great trip!”

Pikes Peak Cog Railway
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Manitou Springs
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: For more than a hundred years, this railway, the highest "cog" railroad in the world and the highest train in the U.S., has been transporting passengers to the summit of Pikes Peak.
Brisbane Queensland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great trip!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Our guide was an idiot! None of the passengers liked him so we just ignored him and enjoyed the ride. I'm a heavy smoker and thought the elevation would be a problem but I was fine. Due to recent snowfall we didn't go all the way up but what we saw was amazing! Well worth it. Would do it again for sure.

Visited January 2013

• Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Boulder, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wow! Why did I wait so long to do this?”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Have lived in Colorado for 8 years, and have always known about this Cog Railway. I have a big family (7 of us), so the price of taking the whole family on the sort-of-pricey trip kept giving us pause. But wow, what a fun trip! Interesting tour guides, fantastic scenery, comfortable ride. The trip takes you through multiple climatic zones, with lots of wildlife views from deer to marmots. All had a very fun time, and HIGHLY recommend this to both residents and tourists alike. It's a trip you'll remember.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank BC_Denver
Oklahoma
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Do this! An American Icon”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I was nervous before doing this. My fear was that the elevation would give us all a heart attack. Or that I would faint on the way up. One man in our train was elderly and had an oxygen machine. I figured if HE was doing it.....The cog goes up slowly enough that I guess you have time to get used to it along the way, so soon I relaxed and enjoyed every minute of it. Once on top I was light headed and could not seem think clearly, which does not help with decision making in the gift shop. Husband and daughter did not have a problem, so obviously everyone is affected differently, and at any rate, I didn't see anyone passed out. Also, I was prepared for this and dressed for it - but know that it is extremely COLD up there.

You are up top a perfect amount of time - long enough for taking in the view, photo ops, snacks, restroom and shopping, but not so long that the elevation and cold overwhelm you. The cold you can escape by going indoors. Inside, I enjoyed mingling with the hikers/backpackers.

The ride is fun. Our seatmates happened to be fellow Oklahomans. The driver was friendly, funny and informative.
The views are spectacular and we had no problems seeing all. I was worried about good seating on the cog, but from what I could tell, any seat would be okay. I don't think any person on our train had to stare at a pillar, wall or people instead of the view. I enjoyed (besides the obvious breath-taking scenes of lakes, valleys,snow capped peaks, forests and mountain meadows) :
the marmots at the Alpine level (way high up); the lady who lives in a house somewhere on the way- she was chilling in her backyard and waved at us as we went by - (kind of like the scene in "Wizard of Oz" - people waving at Dorothy as her tornado house floats by) ; and the van loaded up with bikes ready for cool athletic people to ride down.

Continental Divide, America the Beautiful inspiration, the scenery, not having to drive it - there are so many awesome things about taking the cog rail to Pikes Peak. I would recommend highly and if I brought friends here, I would no longer have worries about the elevation and make it a "must do". We bought tickets weeks ahead of time and lucked out to have a sunny day with no fog. You'll have to check for yourself on coordinating seat availability and weather conditions to line up your perfect ride up. More than likely, you'll have a terrific time!

Visited August 2012
2 Thank greer42
Colorado Springs, Colorado
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Just do it...”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

As a local, I suggest that visitors do this, if they have the time. Make a reservation and just go. You'll get a different perspective than another method.

Visited May 2012
Ocala, Florida
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Lived There All My Life, My First Time!”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I was born and bred in Colorado Springs and go home from Georgia occasionally. This trip we went up on the Cog Railway and I couldn't believe I had never taken the opportunity to do this when I lived there. We had gone up by car a few times, but the railway is a MUST. It takes away the need to keep your eyes on the road and also gives you fantastic views and sights. At one point you can see New Mexico. We were at the front by the conductor and that was, in my opinion, the best seat going and coming. We went during winter and will have to go back again in the summer because it was WAY too cold to go to the plaque and take pictures. They do have toasty restrooms to thaw out in. And, you have to try the donuts that are only made to eat at the summit only. Different, but tasty.

Visited February 2012