“Trail and railway are both great!”

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Incline trail is 1 mile straight up a mountain using steps like a stairmaster. Very tough but rewarding. Beware of false summit and there is a jump out point about halfway to change to switchback trail. It is right next to incline railway. Perfect way to experience a mountain and top a fourteener if you don't hike and driving to top can be unnerving. It is a little pricey but worth it at least once. I have ridden up many times to hike back down 13 miles to manitou. One of my very favorite things to do anywhere!

There are newer reviews for Manitou Springs Incline

Reviewed July 7, 2013

if you like the stairs more than taking the elevator then you'd like this trail.
Not for the faint of heart , Only for those who likes to get challenged to their limits of strength, This has been on the most challenging trails we have done so far. Its about 1 mile of stairs straight up, which takes up to an elevation of 2000. Ft . You might also not want to this climb if its your firs day in Colorado. You should try to let your body get used to the high altitude. If not you could get light headed and dizzy half way up.
We had plenty of water and had to take frequent stops. We stopped for 2 minutes every 50 steps. There were a few young kids who were running back down, but we decided to take the 3 mile trail back which is called the Barr's trail with switch backs down which is much safer.
After this hike I do not want to see another stair way.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

A little over a mile up and nearly 4 miles jogging back down Barr Trail, this hike will make you work! Love it with the exception of all the people who refuse to move to the side when they are resting. Best way around that is to avoid the morning hours even though the heat of the day can be tough. Brought a Camel Pack the first time I did it but didn't feel it was necessity and switched to a water bottle the next time. I average around 45 minutes going up the trail and around the same running back down Barr Trail at a slow/comfortable pace. Be careful running down, it can be a bit dangerous with tree roots, rocks, loose dirt, twist and turns. Great work out with the most wonderful views. I would not advise ever going back down the incline but have seen crazy people do it. Way more people attempt it than they should and having to pass hordes of 20 somethings who spend more time talking and resting is frustrating when those of us that are serious about pushing ourselves can't get around them without dirty looks and the reluctant 2 inch move to the side. Good experience if you don't mind working out with potentially hundreds of other people. I didn't pay to park but did have to walk 1/2 mile or so from where I managed to find a parallel parking spot for my tiny car.

1  Thank sherihm
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We have been here twice and both times we chickened out of climbing the stairs and took the Barr Trail around the side. One of these days I will get my courage up! You have to pay to park but it's worth it. Not really good for kids under 12, or anyone who is not in great shape. You can always do the side trail though!

1  Thank Kim T
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Great workout. You can get your heart rate up and keep it their without having to run which is great. On the weekends people need to move over when talking on the phone.