“Lost a Fan of craftwood Inn”
Review of Craftwood Inn

Craftwood Inn
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Mayfair
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Lost a Fan of craftwood Inn”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have been to Dinner and a Wedding at Craftwood Inn.. Went last saturday night with my husband. Was seated next to a very loud room and pretty much forgotten for a while. Except the Bus Boy serving use tons of water. The appetizer was just so-so and i had the Rocky Mountain Elk which was cooked perfect but very tough cut. My husband had the trio which was just OK. I remember it being so much better. I most likely not drive across town again. Their is just too many nice resturants in the springs to pay so much for Ok food.

• Visited April 2013

colorado
“Romantic”
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Excellent and unique food. Romantic atmosphere. Ostrich steak was the best. Loved the sorbet. Worth the splurge.

• Visited April 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great Food, Neat Menu, Not Very Private Dining!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We were seated by the window so we had a nice little view from our table. But our table is also crammed in the room with several other tables and you are able to hear every conversation going on in that dining area. We ended up getting to know the people at the two other tables that were beside ours. None of us could help it, you just are seated so close to each other that you can't help but overhear things! We would have liked for it to be a bit more private!

With that said, the food was great. We used our Groupon and ordered the Tapas appetizer assortment and really enjoyed it. My favorite was the duck sausage. My husband then had the Craftwood salad and the dressing was amazing! The greens were super fresh. I had the squash bisque and it was very tasty--it had a little "kick" to it but I like spicy so it was nice. My husband then had the elk and ordered it medium rare as suggested by the waitress. It was tasty but a little tough but I guess it was expected with the cut of meat used. I had the antelope and ordered it medium rare as well. It was SO good--very flavorful and very tender! The brussel sprouts were cooked perfectly and the potatoes were really nice!

For dessert, my husband ordered the Honey Cardamom Cheesecake and I ordered the Dark Chocolate Rosemary Torte. I liked my dessert the best! It was so good. I also had decaf coffee with my dessert and it was the smoothest decaf I've ever tasted!

We really enjoyed our meal! I love having different meats to choose from that you won't see at most restaurants!

The service was good but could have been better. They keep your water glasses full but at times we did have to wait longer than expected for each course to arrive, and they weren't super busy at the time.

I really felt like it was too much food to eat in one sitting but that was what the Groupon had. Even with the Groupon added, you still pay tax on the original amount and pay extra for any drinks, and of course you should always tip on the original amount, not the sale amount. This place is very expensive and is definitely a place for special occasions! However, if you are looking to have a private conversation and for it to be a romantic evening, I suggest you ask for a more private table. Otherwise, be prepared to hear everyone else's conversations and for them to hear yours!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank luvlifeandtravel
iowa
“Very very satisfying meal and service”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Sumptuous preparations, particularly game meat. I had the game sampler, though pricey, was delicately and expertly prepared. Wide ranging wine list and knowledgeable server. Warm, cozy atmosphere. We went on jan 9 so it was not busy and we had a lovely table adjacent to the old fireplace. Highly recommend as a special treat.

• Visited January 2013
“Great COS gourmet!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Our first experience here was more like 4.5*, but I decided to round up!

Can't believe it took me this long to dine here. I had a Groupon for a 4-course meal for two, and Craftwood Inn had no problems honoring it. I half-expected our server to make a disdainful face when we pulled out the Groupon, but instead he was very helpful and eager in explaining the deal.

Service by Levi and the other staff members was impeccable. We never felt interrupted when they refilled our waters or removed dishes and Levi was uber-polite and smiley and professional.

Loved the cozy, warm dining room! We were seated in a booth near the large fireplace at a table that could seat 4, but it was set up for 2. Therefore, we had plenty of space for our various dishes and drinks. Other diners were scattered throughout the room, but not too close where we could hear their intimate conversations. Bathrooms were nicely appointed.

Food was great. Nothing screamed super-innovative: the game meats were the stars in their own right. I've read reviews where customers thought the portions were tiny; well, I can tell you my pants were feeling mighty uncomfortable by the end. I would've been happy with just an entrée and dessert, much less appetizer and soup! The ostrich appetizer on a bed of citrusy Brussels sprouts was excellent. I loved my spiced apple & fig salad. The fiance's wild game stew was delectably hearty, but it was a bit more watery than a real stew. Both of our entrees were solid, but again, nothing out-of-the-ordinary although I was disappointed that my antelope wasn't more tender. It came out medium rare as I ordered it, but I had to chew and chew and chew. Thankfully the flavor was delicious. The fiance's elk was outstanding. Both of our seasonal desserts were yummy (love the pear sorbet and honey tuile!).

It is pricey for Colorado Springs: even with the $68 Groupon, I shelled out $49 more for taxes, tip, a glass of wine, and soft drink. For that price the execution should've been near-perfect, but they're almost there and I give credit to effort. Overall I think Colorado Springs is very lucky to have Craftwood Inn, and I recommend it!

• Visited January 2013