“Lovely experience”

Mate' factor Cafe' - a "Yellow Deli!"
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Lovely experience”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I loved their mate! The iced raspberry was soooo good! I ate a Turkey Reuben and was very satisfied. I also love their hand made furnishings, it was very fun! The girl who served was friendly, polite and efficient. I like that they are open 24 hours Sunday through Friday.

Visited September 2011

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Good sandwiches and ambience. Service is terrible though.”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

While the sandwiches are yummy and the drinks are good - the service is terrible. I probably won't return!

• Visited September 2011
Manhattan, Kansas
“Excellent...”
Reviewed October 5, 2011

drinks, scones, muffins and breakfast sandwiches. My wife had a breakfast sandwich with a homeade English muffin- her words- "it was out of this world". I enjoyed two delicious scones and a great organic cup of coffee. Even though I don't drink organic coffee, it was totally great. My mother-in-law enjoyed a delicious bran muffin. The atmosphere was great too- lots of locals. Being open 24 hours on some days too is a huge plus. This was the only place open for breakfast on a Sunday morning around 7:30. Tea is their speciality here, but the coffee, juices and breakfast items were great. I totally recommend it!

• Visited October 2011
Mount Dora, Florida
“We love the food and interesting atmosphere”
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We ate here last summer and looked forward to coming back. We were first attracted to the place because we enjoyed drinking real Mate in Uruguay.

There are some interesting and tasty selection of Mate beverages. I haven't had anything to eat here that I haven't enjoyed and we've been here quite a few times now. The only artificial sweetener they use is stevia which isn't artificial anyway.

It's great to be able to have a tasty and reliable breakfast here before an early morning hike. All the other places in town are closed before 7am but Mate Factor is open 24 hours except for late Friday until late afternoon on Saturday for their Sabbath.

The sandwiches, hot or cold, are all lovingly and well made, too. And wowee, they do taste great. All ingredients are very fresh and I think all might be organic, at least if it's possible.

The people who work here are all very friendly, hard working and seem to care about their customers and it shows. The baked goods look really nice but I haven't tried one yet.

You should definitely give this place a try. Nice food....unique and interesting. We'll be back next year and they will be here. Mate Factor is here to stay.

• Visited July 2011
Indio, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Late at night, weird but perfect place for sandwiches and refreshing drinks”
Reviewed July 22, 2011

My first meal in Manitou Springs and first pseudo-date with the beauty holding my hand was at Mate Factor. There was nothing else open late-night in Manitou, admittedly, but it looked warm and inviting.

There was a reference to it being a "cult" - the half-stoned and accusatory glances from the hipsters (cult indeed) sitting in booths, reminded me for a moment of the too-cool-back-off-outsider vibe I got from a high-school teen populated coffee joint on Long Island. We shrugged it off and went in.

It was very quiet inside, and the place looked like it was built inside a tree trunk and vibes of the walk through the forest while waiting on line for the ET ride.

There were two guys finishing placing their order in the "line". Everyone behind the counter seemed passive beyond normalcy and child-like in their confusion. After the guys placed their order, there was no effort to say hello, ask if we needed help, or give any instruction whatsoever. I know - walk up and place order right? But there was no indication as to where to place the order and where to wait for the food. One guy behind the counter seemed content to stand there forever staring (perhaps he is still). I don't remember if he even spoke at all.

The menu was simple: sandwiches and drinks. The drinks all looked interesting and tasty. We ordered ....after an awkward silence with the counter clerk...and got some Reed's Ginger Beer and a couple of cheese and avocado sandwiches, both to be toasted on two types of bread. The guy who took the order was quiet and polite enough.

While we waited for our sandwiches at the counter (just assuming it was cool to do so) we observed the staring-forever-and-ever-amen sandwich clerk slowly putting together our sandwiches with great concentration. He slipped and caused my sandwich to flip over and the cheese to get slopped all over the place. I was one foot away - he didn't look up and I could see he was deep in thought - To remake the sandwich, or to fix it? He tried to fix it by massaging the cheese around with his rubber-glove encased hippy hands. Mmm, fingerprint indents.

After giving the cheese a thorough rubbing, he seemed to be pleased with the result, then slapped together the sandwiches and placed them on the counter. My date asked if he added the avocado to the sandwich. WHOOPS. He took back my sandwich and asked if I wanted the avocado on it...or on the side. I thought this was an odd and lazy question to ask since I clearly wanted them together - he then began to slowly cut up the avocado into tiny chunks and place them one by one on my sandwich. Finally after great effort the sandwich was complete.

A booth opened up behind us and we sat in the corner, loving the warm red lights and the wood tables. It was nice in here. The sandwiches were delicious, especially mine, massaged cheese and all. I had a good time talking in the corner with my date and no one bothered us.

I would definitely go back here for that sandwich and to try their drinks. I expect the service to again be hypnotically slow, annoyingly passive and trippy, but it added to the overall strange vibe of the place. In the end you can't argue with the cozy wooden booths, red lights, and tasty sandwiches.

And the cult thing? Well, they didn't try to induct me yet - maybe they smelled my coastal blood and knew I'd be more trouble than it's worth.

• Visited July 2011