“A mini-Carlsbad but not as cool (cold)”

Cave of the Winds Mountain Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discovered in 1881, Cave of the Winds has been a premier Colorado attraction for more than a century. Explore amazing caverns, experience total cave darkness, and marvel at the beauty of formations hundreds of thousands of years old. Then step outside and walk on the wind on the Wind Walker Challenge Course, fly like a bat on the Bat-a-Pult Zip Line, and dive into Williams Canyon on the one of a kind aerial dive ride, the TERROR-Dactyl. Lots of family fun, amazing views and memories to last a lifetime!
Reviewed September 29, 2013

First you must find this. It is on the main road going toward Divide on the right side going west up the mountain. It was a short but mildly hairy drive when you get off the main road. Don't do this tour if tight places cause you problems. It is similar to the caves near San Antonio, Texas but the Texas caves are really warm & humid. These were cool. Do not touch the formations because your skin oils mess them up.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,984)

Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I recently visited this Gold Mine, September 13, 2013.
This mine is located in a quaint little town that used to be a bustling community with the gold rush. It is now just a visitor's attraction and a place that we found very interesting, The people treat you with great respect upon entering the doorway as well as all the ones we encountered while visiting.
Tim, our tour guide, takes great pride in his job as a tour guide, being he came from a mining back ground and has done mining him self. Tim made the whole tour worth while and we were never bored. We learned a lot of interesting things about mining and got to see some of the equipment that is still in working condition today. A big thumbs up to this place and I must say in you are in or near the area do stop in a take the tour! It's worth all the gold in itself!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Wife and I visited here expecting to see the wonderful colors and beautiful cave-ness, however, due to the rains we only got to see half of the cave tour. The price is worth what we saw but we were really going for the lantern tour... Those caves were in two feet of water though. Wear tennis shoes... Not flip flops or high heels like the gals on our tour... Don't know if the altitude got to the or if they were just lazy.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a nice cave tour, but not up to PAR with caves I've seen in other parts of the world. It is a dry cave, so it doesn't have many active formations, and it lacks that cool drippy atmosphere. However, if you haven't been to a cave before, it is a fine choice. The walking is not difficult, but not suitable for people with mobility issues.

We arrived on Labor Day, and the place was super-crowded, the lantern tours were sold out, and there was over an hour wait for the basic tour. Came back the day after Labor Day, and it was virtually empty. So book ahead, (you can buy tickets on-line,) and expect weekend and holiday crowds.

FYI. The views from the deck and parking lot are great.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I didn't really think I'd been on enough cave tours to be jaded about them, but apparently I have, because I found this experience completely average. The whole atmosphere is very "tourist trap", with extra zip lines and ropes courses and "panning for gold" where parents have to buy their kids the bags of pebbles to sift through.

When I heard the name Cave of the Winds, I thought we'd be in for some sort of treat hearing some sort of sounds of as a result of wind + cave, no? Actually NO, because as the tour guide tells you at the beginning, the wind USED to make cool sounds in the cave but they built the gigantic visitor's center in the way of the prevailing winds so it doesn't make the sounds anymore. And then you're left taking a tour through a fairly average cave, potentially with crying baby, like on our tour. If you think babies are loud above ground, wait until you're surrounded by rock with one. The guide did eventually evacuate said baby and parents, but only after about 90% of the tour was spent in its deafening presence.

If you haven't visited a cave before I'd go ahead and go for it, but if you've been to any others, I say skip it and go spend more time at Garden of the Gods.

1  Thank smokinokapi