“4 generations loved it.”

Cave of the Winds Mountain Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discovered in 1881, Cave of the Winds has been a premier Colorado attraction for more than a century. Explore amazing caverns, experience total cave darkness, and marvel at the beauty of formations hundreds of thousands of years old. Then step outside and walk on the wind on the Wind Walker Challenge Course, fly like a bat on the Bat-a-Pult Zip Line, and dive into Williams Canyon on the one of a kind aerial dive ride, the TERROR-Dactyl. Lots of family fun, amazing views and memories to last a lifetime!
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Its easy to get to and close to other interesting attractions. Took 2 parents, myself, 2 adult children and grand kids age 14, 12 & 8 (4 generations) and we all loved it. Parents age 77 did fine. There is not a lot of tall cathedral type chambers but it was fun and all ages loved it.

2  Thank Nonnackw
Write a ReviewReviews (2,060)
All reviews
in 39 reviews
"little pricey"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We took the Lantern Tour and you'd best be advised of a few things - if you are at all, AT ALL, claustrophobic, do not, I repeat, DO NOT go on the Lantern Tour. Secondly, if you are not acclimated to the thinner air and/or you have any respiratory issue (no matter how small!) DO NOT go on the Lantern Tour. If you have back issues, pass on it too.

With those caveats being put out there, my experience was as follows: our guide, a young gal whose name escapes me, was just chipper enough and seemed pretty laid back. WRONG. She practically ran through the cave. My fitness level may not be the highest, but I'd like to think I can keep up a decent pace. I did for the most part but when I fell behind and the guide sprinted ahead, I was left behind and fell into a panic attack. When I was freaking out, no one came to ask how I was nor did my guide offer to let me back track out of the cave. I was told that was not an option. Several times, I bumped my head and ended up with dried patches of blood on my head at the end.

Bad experience. Hated every second of it. But hey, if you like feeling like a left behind, slow-poke mental cow, by all means, pay out $24 for guaranteed humiliation.

9  Thank Samolotus
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Cave of the Winds is located in the beautiful little town of Manitou Springs. While the majority of the tour is In-doors....within the cave network, there is also a cool rope challenge course outside that is popular during the warmer times of the year and particularly summer time. The tour guides are very friendly and very knowledgeable. The gift shop is above average and has a neat selection of unique "Colorado" or "Cave of the Winds" related items. The cave tour should definitiely be an option for your family if you are looking to escape very warm weather or if it is raining outside and you would like to do something indoors. Cave of the Winds is definitiely worth exploring at least once and is very family friendly.

1  Thank Asia_Explorer242
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Definitely worth visiting while in the area. The caves are amazing. My kids loved the rope challenge course. Stunning views.

1  Thank gracie003
See more reviews
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The cave is a natural wonder and worth the tour. The tour is a bit tired, but in fairness how do you keep it fresh after half a dozen groups a day, day after day. Our guide was knowledgeable and professional but the nature of the tour is to sort of rush from one spot to another with short talks in each. There were many tours in the cave at once.
Plusses: The cave is amazing - and you just touch a small part of it.
Minuses: Groups are herded through
The tour is somewhat 'canned'
Ticket lines were slow - perhaps the company should look into some self service ticketing kiosks rather than just one desk.
A bit pricy.
They take your group picture, even if you don't want to. They say it is security to make sure everyone gets out of the cave. Could be because they match you up at the end and offer the pictures for sale without any pressure.
Note - is you are older or unstable be prepared. Although footing is good for a cave there are still some areas that are dim and you need to duck or twist to avoid walls or roofs. Stairways are small.
Summary - I'm glad we did it, but would probably not repeat soon.

1  Thank joferer