Family unit needed digs for a few nights as we departed Denver and wanted to settle into our old stomping grounds in Colo Springs.
Lived and worked in Manitou Springs back in the early 90's, and even though it's nothing like it used to be, the Cliff House is now open and operating -- it was a burned out wreck the last time we saw it.
So, off to the web we went and lucked upon The Cliff House offering a Winter Special - $150 per night junior suite for 4 of us, plus a complimentary bottle of California wine (we chose the cabernet to take home to my in-laws).
The historic vibe of the hotel was enough to draw us to it's vintage environs but the room we got was filled to the brim with amenities. The suite is called the Katherine Lee Bates suite, named for the LGBT pioneer who penned the lyrics to what would eventually become the unofficial national anthem, America the Beautiful.
Practical history lesson for our kiddos, check.
Two comp bottles of water in the mini fridge, turn down service complete with chocolates, two-person jacuzzi tub, heated towel rack, heated toilet seat, flat screens in each room, room safe, sublime view of the mountains, and overly friendly staff (Ryan the valet rocks it pretty hard, and scored points with my 14-year old when he recognized the Aperture Laboratories logo on her Portal2 jacket) - check, check, checkity check check.
Complimentary breakfast was spot on (running it until 10:30 a.m. was a blessing for our late rising brook), hot and tasty. Room was clean and smelled fresh. Plenty of towels on the rack, plenty of complimentary toiletries for the kiddos to fight over.
Negatives - no ghosts on premises (at least none that the staff would admit to), and the spa tub/shower combination can only be filled with the shower head...no tub nozzle to speak of. Kinda weird, but we just pretended to be taking a bath in a warm rain shower and went with it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- What makes a hotel truly special?Prestige? Romance? Luxury? As a four diamond Colorado Springs Hotel, these attributes are very important, and we have each of them in abundance, but none of them matter as much as... the stories. The stories that are started here, by brides and grooms celebrating their weddings. The stories that are commemorated here, when couples choose us for their anniversaries. The stories that are shared here, when family vacations become unforgettable memories. Our stories really do matter: they define who we are. You see, as the premier historic hotel of the Greater Colorado Springs area, our history is forever intertwined with what we are today. In fact, The Cliff House is older than the State of Colorado itself! And just like your story, we have had our ups and downs: we have played host to famous dignitaries, and we have been a barracks for soldiers. Later floods and fires have even threatened our hotel's very existence. But, just like you, we've persevered. After our extensive remodel and grand re-opening in 1999, we quickly proved that The Cliff House is once again one of Colorado's finest luxury hotels. Nestled at the foot of majestic Pikes Peak, we've managed to keep all the trappings of Victorian elegance and luxury and also become a leader in innovative room features with state-of-the-art technology. Since 2001, we've consecutively received the prestigious AAA Four Diamond Award for both the hotel and our dining room. Our dining room has also received the DiRoNa Award, and Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence, every year. From our world-class fine dining, our amazing rooms, personalized service, our fun new bar and grill, to the limitless experiences and activities Manitou Springs has to offer: we are confident that you will love your stay here... and what a story you'll have to tell! We're proud of our history. Come share yours with us! We're within ten minutes of downtown Colorado Springs, but (rest assured) a world away! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelClick, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Cliff House at Pikes Peak reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff House At Pikes Peak Hotel Manitou Springs
- Cliff Hotel Manitou Springs