“Charming and great location”

The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Manitou Springs
Augusta, GA
“Charming and great location”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our stay at the Cliff House was wonderful. The valet was fast and cheerful; the bellman was thorough and informative with things to do in the area; our room was large and tastefully decorated. We even had a heated toilet seat that we LOVED. The view was outstanding, and since it was Christmas, we saw lots of twinkle lights from the town below our window as well as mountains. The Christmas decor was charming, but the best part of the hotel was the 5-diamond restaurant we ate in for dinner and followed up with a breakfast buffet the next morning. The apple strudel is made in-house and is fantastic. It was just a 5-minute drive to the Pike's Peak Cog Railway from this hotel. Only downer was all of the attendant taxes and fees added to the room charge. The room was advertised as $99.00, but the fees added about another $40.00

1 Thank Kay M
Istvan S, Front Office Manager at The Cliff House at Pikes Peak, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Kay,

Thank you for your review. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed the Winter Wonderland at the Cliff House - Manitou is especially beautiful on a snowy day.

We do our best to make sure that all taxes and fees are explained to our guests before their arrival. We obviously failed to properly inform you and for that I sincerely apologize. On the other hand, I was happy to hear that this inconvenience did not overshadow your overall experience.

Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope to see you next time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Loved our stay! Excellent service, heated toilet seats, beautiful views, perfect location for pikes peak, and is next to a cute walk-able downtown area for food. This is a perfect place to stay while away from home!! Will definitely visit again!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank SPayne1
Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your stay! I was glad to hear that you had a great time in our quaint mountain town of Manitou Springs. We will see you next time!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I just recently enjoyed a wonderful overnight stay at the Cliff house, and couldn't have asked for a better experience. Everything was wonderful from the instant we arrived. The valet staff promptly greeted us each time we pulled up in our car, and retrieved it quickly with a friendly smile whenever we needed it again. The young lady who checked us in was equally friendly and helpful, and the front office manager made several helpful recommendations. The property itself is beautiful and full of character and history. Our room was wonderful, comfortably appointed, and had a lovely view of the mountains and the pretty Christmas lights below. We especially enjoyed the fireplace on a chilly winter night. In the morning we had a delicious buffet style breakfast that was of a much better quality than one would typically expect to find in an "included breakfast" at a hotel. It was served in the cozy and elegant dining room next to another fireplace. We did not get the chance to have dinner in the restaurant on this trip, but this was our loss as I am sure it is excellent based on everything else. We will make sure to remedy this the next time we visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Istvan S, Front Office Manager at The Cliff House at Pikes Peak, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
I was so thrilled to hear about your wonderful stay at the Cliff House! Our staff takes pride in excellent service, and it sure feels rewarding to read such great reviews. Thank you!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 30, 2012

once again the cliff house has outdone itself. each time we stay, we think it can't get any better. but it does. in the junior suite, room 317, a fireplace, a view and fit and finish second to none. dinner at the restaurant was almost perfect (the only thing missing was sticky toffee pudding for dessert). the service flawless and when a dish came out tepid, it was taken back to the kitchen and prepared to a correct temperature.
i must commend a lady at the front desk, i believe her name was kaleigh. when we checked in and received our keys, off to the room we went. somehow, before we could get there, she ran up 3 floors and the length of the hotel because she was worried our room had not yet been prepared (it in fact had been). kudos to her.
if there is a list of best small hotels, this should be near the top.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking pikes peak
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Istvan S, Front Office Manager at The Cliff House at Pikes Peak, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Thank you for your great review and your repeat patronage. We take pride in our service and I am glad to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations. We hope to welcome you back again in 2013!
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I very recently had my wedding at the Cliff House. I am only writing a bad review of the pastry chef. I will post a glowing review of the wedding venue, rooms, food etc. But your pastry chef....

My now husband and I started meeting with the Cliff House 's pasrty chef many months in advance. We picked out the flavors but could not decide on a design. By late August (for a December wedding) we decided on a design. I wanted an ivory butter cream cake with a with fondant ribbon drapping across the 5 tiers. Anchoring the ribbon would have been neat small bundles of white and red roses that I provided. Throughout the 4 months of planning this cake with him, I tried many times to contact our pastry chef though email and did not receive a promptly response. At my most irritated point it had been over a month with no response. I had call his boss (the head of catering and sales) to get a response. Any communication from then on had to have his boss CCed into it.

Flash forward to wedding day. Our cake was a white mush of frosting with a hideous hot pinky orange ribbon. Clearly not the red I asked for. As for the flower bundles.... ( I bought 4 dozen so he would have tons of extras and only use she nicest ones ) he proceeded to shove all 4 dozen into the cake. It was the ugliest thing in the world. Because I did my whole wedding myself I had several family and friends ask if I made the cake myself. Imagine my horror saying I spent $950 dollars on this 4 star cake.

After calling the head of catering and sales I am only gearing a refund of $220. The. Cost of the ugly fondant ribbon. Considering I spent 4k on photos I will have to burn every photo of that cake.

I am very upset considering the pastry chef was given a photo of what my cake should have looked like, and in total I spent over $11k on my wedding there I expected a better quality cake or a better refund. I even emailed Paul York about this matter with no response. My advice is to go else where for your cake and don't expect them to care at all if they screwed up. They nickel and dime you for everything and will tie you up in false words and fake apologies. I never even got an apology from the pastry chef. All I was told is he felt bad. Well he can't feel too bad he for paid for it.

My advice is for elsewhere. Or you will be sorry and out at least a grand.

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank swimmingchik
BoomerGuy, General Manager at The Cliff House at Pikes Peak, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
We apologize for your displeasure with your wedding cake.

We did in fact communicate with you on this and did remit a sizable refund on this. The cake was not as you described in your review and no specific red with submitted by you to our pastry chef. Our pastry chef has never received a complaint like this and he not only works for us but also works at the five-diamond Penrose Room at The Broadmoor Hotel (the only five-diamond in the state of Colorado.)

Your guests all enjoyed the cake and we have pictures of the cake during the event supplied by the photographer showing the cake in optimum condition and looking wonderful. Many of your guests commented on how excellent the cake was.

It's unfortunate that after we sincerely tried to make you happy on this you in turn would write this negative review.

With this said, we are always very displeased when a guest is not happy with any aspect of their event and for that we do sincerely apologize.

Cliff House Management.
Laramie, Wyoming, United States
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Really I feel like I was swindled. I came to the Cliff House for a friends wedding and they have charged me for every possible thing not to mention the fact that there is a $100 per night charge for incidental damages per night. The people that run this hotel are terrible and the rooms are not even very nice. The tv is not clear and all of the amenities are awful. Do NOT stay here.

3 Thank Weston A
BoomerGuy, General Manager at The Cliff House at Pikes Peak, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Mr. Weston -

We sincerely apologize for not living up to your expectations during your recent stay. As you know, once you came to the front desk and expressed your concerns, we upgraded you to our best room available, which on this particular night happened to be one of our very best rooms. Upon check-out you seemed to be pleased with your stay.

We always take a $100 security deposit against possible room damages as is standard with many hotels.

Once again, our sincerest apologies.

Cliff House Management
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Buffalo Bill suite - a real hoot! A painted teepee in the tower ceiling was actually well done and fun, when you lay in bed and look up it's like being in the teepee. The staff was very gracious and the valet service prompt with car return. We had dinner in the dining room which was good - the service was very gracious and well paced. The food was good - a little short of great. The wine list by the bottle is very nice, the wines by the glass selection is ok - there is room for improvement there. The bartender was very nice and offered informend opinions on wine choices. The decor in the bar is more generic than the rest of the hotel which is quite charming. The location is great for Manitou. We were in Manitou for a special event but would like to return and we will surely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The rooms are well described on their web-site
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KBWYZ
Istvan S, Front Office Manager at The Cliff House at Pikes Peak, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
I was thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed our Buffalo Bill suite - a truly one of a kind experience. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our dinning room about the great service. Our sommeliers take pride in the wine list and I am sure that they will be glad to hear your comments on the wine selection as well - we are always looking for new ways to improve our service.

Thank you again for the great comments and we hope to welcome you back next time!

Istvan Szelezsan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manitou Springs
Garden of the Gods Club and Resort
Garden of the Gods Club and Reso...
#3 of 105 in Colorado Springs
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Gr...
#4 of 105 in Colorado Springs
#20 of 105 in Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs Marriott
Colorado Springs Marriott
#26 of 105 in Colorado Springs

Been to The Cliff House at Pikes Peak? Share your experiences!