All reviews heated toilet seat valet parking steam shower historic hotel turn down service buffalo bill service fee gas fireplace per day thomas edison breakfast buffet the main dining room junior suite clark gable red mountain spa tub lovely room
Reviewed March 23, 2008

Arrived at approx. 3:30 pm on March 14, 2008, and immediately we tried to turn on the TV in our room to check the weather, and the remotes did not work. I reported this to the desk, and when we returned later, they still did not work. At this point the desk clerk left her desk and came to our room with new batteries, tried both the TV and the VCR with no luck. The next morning, when we complained, a rude desk clerk told us "we obviously did not know how to operate the TV!"

We arrived back at the hotel at 9:30 pm that same night, and asked if the resturant was still open, the answer was no, and was further told that unfortunately there was no longer room service. This in spite of the hotel literature that claims 24 hour food room service. The hotel representative suggested we try "Wendy's" some 5 miles away. We were told on check out that "we had been misinformed".

In the morning, after many attempts to control the shower hot water, we where finally successful. Before you put this down to lack of fluidics knowledge, I do have a bonafide Mechanical Engineering Degree.

What should have been a lovely, if expensive evening, was a huge disappointment. We have stayed in many small luxury hotels in the U.S, ,Canada, and Europe so that we have a frame of reference. You can forgive the pealling wall paper in our room that night, if the level of staff competence is up to par, and certainly not rude and unknowledgeble.

s.

Date of stay: March 2008
5  Thank EdLaredo
Reviewed March 14, 2008

I booked a night at The Cliff House as a surprise for my boyfriend on our vacation to Colorado. We stayed in the Jr Deluxe room...jet tub, fire place, heated toilet (just wait until you try that...it was just awesome) We got a great Mountain View of Pikes Peak and Manitou Springs. For those of you who haven't been to Manitou Springs the heart of Manitou Springs it's about maybe 2 blocks? It's extremely small but there is a lot to do. They have small shops everything from pottery to music stores. We ended up getting settled in and walking over to THE KEG for a couple of drinks then we walked over to The Loop. It's a great mexican restaurant with grande Margaritas. When I say Grande I mean HUGE! 10 bucks and it was worth all of it. After a couple of beers and one Large Margarita I was feeling just fine.

We went back to the Hotel where I can't say enough about the people who work there. A+++++ customer service, I didn't even have time to reach for one door, someone was always there with a smile getting it for us. Even when being compared to the 4 seasons this has topped our exceptions. Robbie was the best!!!

They have heaters outside in case your a smoker or just like to relax outside they turn those on for you. I have bragged about this hotel since I got back to Dallas. So if you considering a romantic get away I would HIghly Recommend. We had such a great time I didn't want to leave. Oh they have awesome robes so you might want to add 100 bucks to your budget because you will want to leave with one. ( I would never even think about paying that much but you just wait and see)

Date of stay: March 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 17, 2008

We have recently returned from an overnight Valentine Day stay at The Cliff House and it was wonderful. The service was incredible with every attention paid to the smallest detail. It was as though we were the only guests staying there. I must say I have been many places around the world and this staff were some of the most attentive I've seen. The room was Victorian inspired and the linens were lovely.The bed was very comfortable which is extremely important to me and they use Aveda products for shampoo and conditioner. The hotel is historic being built in the 1880's. It is very quiet even though you are in downtown Manitou Springs.

Our dinner reservations were rather late 9PM due to the high demand onValentines Day. We ordered room service to bring us up some appetizers since we were eating late and we were told that they could seat us now at 6PM. The dinner meal was 4 courses: an appetizer, an incredible salad (that my husband who does not usually eat salads liked), an entree and dessert. My filet mignon was so tender I could cut it with a butter knife and the sauce it was served in was incredible, it melted in my mouth...I would go back again for it. It is without a doubt the best I've ever had and my husband who had the salmon which was very good said he really loved my filet the best so we will be back to eat again! Again, the staff were most attentive!

As an overnight guest, you receive a complimentary newspaper and breakfast in the dining room. It was very nicely done not elaborate but a continental plus with eggs/meat/cheese.

I would definitely like to return and perhaps stay in one of the suites. Also, keep an eye out for online specials, that is how I was able to get such a good rate for our stay. The hotel also has specials of their own from time to time. You won't be disappointed if you stay at The Cliff House.

Date of stay: February 2008
Reviewed January 25, 2008

We stayed for 2 nights at this wonderful old hotel while we visited family in the area. The room was beautiful with 2 comfortable chairs, a gas fireplace, huge jetted tub, marble bathroom, a heated toilet seat (!) which came in especially handy the morning it was 2 below zero outside. The bed was extremely comfortable and the linens top quality. An generous hot breakfast buffet (eggs, bacon, pancakes, fresh fruit, cold cereal, yogurt, coffee cake, etc.) was included in the cost of the room. The valet/bellman/front desk staff was friendly and helpful and tended to our every need, including free valet parking with a warmed-up car, every time we needed to go out. We were sorry to miss dining in the lovely dining room which had an outstanding wine list. This gorgeous old stone building was renovated within the last few years and shows the loving care that the owner(s) must feel for it. These folks understand hospitality!

Date of stay: January 2008
Reviewed January 14, 2008

My husband and I really enjoyed the Cliff House. The food was your classic fine restaurant fare, good some minor exceptions, nothing worth mentioning. What we liked the best was the service Exceptional Service. From everyone we encountered. I would recommend this restaurant to those who appreciate service, I do not think we have had better anywere else. All in all, you will not go wrong with the Cliff House.

Date of stay: October 2007