“You're in for a treat”

The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Manitou Springs
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The Cliff House is close to my home, so I have only stayed there once, but the room was fantastic. Even better, is the retaurant there. Treat yourself and have a wonderful dinner at the Clifff House. Without a doubt it's my favorite place to eat in the Colorado Springs area, but I need to save it for special occasions. It's a liitle expensive-but well worth it!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 5, 2012

All the employees here were exceptionally friendly and helpful. I loved the room. The bed was very comfortable. I enjoyed the steam shower - an unexpected treat. This hotel is in walking distance to everything. The breakfast is included and was very good. Quite the romantic place! Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed at the Cliff House, a lovely old hotel carefully restored to its glory with modern conveniences. I do love Victorian architecture and furnishings, especially when they are side by side with marble Jacuzzi in each room, his and hers ornamented sinks in the bathroom, fireplace and room service! Breakfast buffet was plenty and healthy. Maybe too healthy for my taste, I asked for a whole wheat dry toast only to get some mushy piece of gluten free stuff. Later I found out the hotel gets their pastries and bread from a 100% gluten free bakery next door. One would think that a hotel that so marvelously took care of every lovely detail, making sure the guests are happy, would realize that there are more "normal" guests than "abnormal", but hey, it's just me, they see it differently. I was even offered soy milk (unsolicited!) at breakfast.
My real beef with the Cliff hotel is their service policy: a service charge of $9/day/person is added to the bill, in addition to a Parking fee. I don't mind the Parking fee, it's Valet Parking and you cannot easily park on the streets around the hotel, it's all 3 hrs parking. What I do mind is that the Service charge applied automatically on the bill breaks the relation between service provider and service user. On one side, I have seen too many cases when the money does not really go the service personnel but adds to the bottom line of the establishment. On the other side, and this is more important, such scheme is damaging in the long run. Mind you, I am not complaining from lack of service - personnel was consistently pleasant and efficient. However, since they have no feedback on how they are doing, in the long run service has no choice but to go down. I tipped everybody anyway, just to give that feedback. But that means double cost to me, the consumer...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Oliver S
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Cliff House is a historical hotel in Manitou Spring. This charming B & B is beautiful exteriorly and interiorly. Not many hotels, like the Cliff House, you have a real key to open your door. All modem comforts, such as TV, DVD player, are hidden in furniture. Leaving your car for valet parking, walking around the town, visiting multiple boutique stores will make a perfect relaxing day. The restaurant at the Cliff House has delicious meal.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had a tower round room, very spacious and every amenity imaginable! Just to name a few door opening service, heated toilet seat, jacuzzi tub, DVD player, bed mats and turn down service, 2 bathroom sinks, wonderful breakfast buffet -- shall I go on? Location was perfect...just off the main street so not too noisy but easy walking everywhere in town!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great location in Manitou. Loved sitting on the big front porch and relaxing or enjoying a delicious meal. Staff was very helpful and attentive. My husband was not feeling well during our stay and they went above and beyond to help accommodate us.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2012

The very good: Accommodations at the Cliff House are beautiful. We were assigned a charming room on the fourth floor that had a queen bed and large jacuzzi tub/shower. The A/C worked very well, and we experienced no noise issues. We took advantage of the Romantic Package that is advertised on their website and were able to have chocolate-covered strawberries and a bottle of wine delivered to our room each evening, had free parking and breakfast, no service fees, and a 10% room discount.

The not as good: As others have posted, the parking issue causes a little distress. When I turned my keys over to the valet, he assured me that the hotel's insurance would cover any damage that might be incurred to my rental car while the vehicle was in their care. However, immediately after that, I was handed a valet ticket that said they were not responsible for any loss, theft, damage, etc. So which is it? My other complaint was with the bathroom. Though the bathroom was decorated nicely and had a toilet seat warmer (how have I lived my whole life without this wonderful thing?), getting into the tub to take a shower was more than a little difficult. The tub edge was so high off the floor that I had to steady myself and move very slowly to get in and out without hurting myself.

The poor: Our first night at the hotel we decided to eat in the hotel's restaurant. Apparently there was some type of event going on in the lower outdoor section of the restaurant and that group of customers seemed to get ALL of the customer service that night. It was frustrating to have to wait ten minutes just to be able to get someone's attention for a drink refill.

Despite the poor service in the restaurant and the parking and bathtub issues, I still have to give the hotel a very good rating. The location is excellent, the breakfast had lots of variety and seating, and our room was quiet, comfy, and attractive.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manitou Springs
Garden of the Gods Club and Resort
Garden of the Gods Club and Reso...
#3 of 104 in Colorado Springs
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Gr...
#5 of 104 in Colorado Springs
Magnuson Hotel Manitou Springs
Magnuson Hotel Manitou Springs
#5 of 10 in Manitou Springs
Best Western Plus Peak Vista Inn & Suites
Best Western Plus Peak Vista Inn...
#4 of 104 in Colorado Springs

Been to The Cliff House at Pikes Peak? Share your experiences!