“Great campground near the entrance to Mesa Verde National Park”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mancos
Mesa Verde RV Resort
Stuttgart, Germany
“Great campground near the entrance to Mesa Verde National Park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We (a family of 4 with an RV) stayed here for 2 nights and can highly recommend this campground. I gave 5 stars for this campground because of it's setting (in the countryside, very near to Mesa Verde NP), the friendly owners (they brought us a grill and our friends an electric light, and we didn't even have to ask for it, they were just attentive), the clean bathroom and rest rooms (really, really clean), the pool (it is heated, which was very nice in the evening, and we just couldn't get our kids away from it). What else? The campground is well kept, well managed, and not at all noisy, even being near highway 160. Oh yes, and it has a mini golf course, which our kids also enjoyed very much!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chula Vista, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

This was the worst lodging experience we've ever had and we'd give it ZERO stars if we could. I am reviewing our experience when we'd planned to stay in one of their one-room cabins.

We were on a 2-week cross-country road trip and we also stayed at 3 other campgrounds in very similar cabins but this place was a horrible experience.

We found this place online. The picture of the interior of the cabin shows 4 beds (one double with twin bunk above and then a 3-twin bunk). I am pretty sure I called ahead and asked specifically for 4 beds because I am so tall that my wife and I can't share a double. When we arrived, the cabin with 4 beds was booked and ours only had 3 beds (twin bunks and a double). NOTE: Admittedly, this could have been a misunderstanding on my part.

When we walked in the cabin, it was VERY old/worn/rustic compared to other campground cabins we experienced. The mattresses were very old camp=style mattresses. When we tested out the double mattress, we could feel through to the plywood underneath and the springs in between.

There were multiple bugs (flies I think) dead on each bed. There was a good-sized dead roach or beetle in the otherwise empty trash can.

We had checked-in after the office was closed... so because of all the reasons above, I decided to call the after hours number to see what could be done or to get a refund so that we could move on to a hotel in Cortez.

My ensuing interactions with the staff were the most unpleasant part of this whole debacle. Here I am calling the staff of a campground... the hospitality industry... and it might have been the worst customer service I've ever received. Usually if you express disappointment or concern, businesses was to help make this right or they at least express some understanding/apology/sympathy. NOT in this case. The woman on the phone was almost immediately defensive and combative, saying I'd seen the pictures and should have known what to expect. I DID know what to expect in terms of cabin size... but I don't feel bad for having expectations of enough beds for my family, decently comfortable mattresses, and no bugs. The bottom line is this... on the phone with one staff person and a few minutes later with another in person (who was gruff and used foul language), there was almost nothing done to allay my concerns, no apology for the bugs and poor conditions, no help us make suitable arrangements, etc.

Finally, the worst part was I'd paid the whole cost of 2 nights up front... Don't worry, I won't do that again. After this adversarial interaction, you might think I could at least get a refund... even a partial one. NOPE. I was repeatedly and emphatically told there was no way I'd get a refund. Should I understand because I was canceling last minute and costing them the opportunity to rent the cabin? Well, let's see... Oh, that's right... 2 of their 4 cabins (soon to be 3 out of 4) were unoccupied that night... so we certainly weren't causing them to turn customers away. Had I been given a refund (even a partial one), it would have been easier just to forget it and move on. Instead, this forgettable experience was compounded by losing the cost of two nights rental... OUCH.

In case you are wondering, we left. We went in to Cortez and got a great rate on a 3-star hotel... so for only $20 more per night, we enjoyed a great hotel. We suggest that you drive right past A & A and do the same.

My last interaction with the staff was on the phone the following morning (my last effort to politely request a refund of some kind). I was quickly told yet again there would be no refund. I said that I was surprised that is the type of experience they wanted us to have and then just before I began to once more list the reasons I feel their cabins fall short, she hung up on me. The end. Wow.

Room Tip: Drive on past.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Derek O
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

This campground is right outside the entrance to Mesa Verde, so we were able to get up each morning and drive right into the park, so that is a plus. Also, the bathrooms were clean and there is a nice mini golf course, and the people working there were very nice and generous- they let us store our cooler ice in their ice cream freezer overnight to freeze them again, and they brought down a charcoal grill to us because there was a fire ban. However, we stayed in a cabin and it had a linoleum floor and kitschy decorations. Also, we went swimming the first night, and the pool was so dirty I didn't get in it, and the hot tub was lukewarm and had bugs floating in it. I will say though, that the second day we were there, the pool was cleaned so when we took the kids to go swimmimg, it looked much nicer and the water was clean. So, there are pros and cons to staying here, but if you want to camp right outside Mesa Verde, and want other things to do, such as mini golf and a pool (when it's clean), this is a place to consider.

Room Tip: The cabins are on gravel and out in the open with no shade
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank erinwantscoffee
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

This is a very clean, well run park with a staff that is committed to customer service. We enjoyed our stay. It is right outside the entrance of Mesa Verde National Park, which was awesome! Bring sunscreen! It is HOT in Mesa Verde. But there were trees and that helped. The evenings cooled off and we slept well in our non-air-conditioned camper!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, Utah, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed at this park for 3 nights in June 2012. As soon as we pulled in, the staff was there to greet us and help direct us to our site. We chose site #5 which is a premium back in site. The tree coverage in this site kept our coach nice and cool. One concern I had before arriving is that this site is near the road. Guess what...it was really quiet and serene. The site is really wide so there is plenty of room to set up your chairs, dog fence, grill, etc. If you like a hot tub after your swim, they have both! Be sure to walk down to the pond. It is beautiful. Also, step outside your coach at night and look at all the stars!! I want to thank Mike and Liz on the changes they are making with this park. You and your staff made this our favorite park on this vacation!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kandj2005
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

We were running late to the RV park and when I called, they were very accommodating despite the late hour. When we finally arrived, the park host assisted us with parking our travel trailer which was in the tightest spot in the park. I was impressed with his welcoming demeanor even though we arrived late.

In the morning, we were rushing to get to Mesa Verde but we had to check in at the office. They helped us plan our day at Mesa Verde as they had fliers and packets on what there is to do there. They even had a military discount!

We returned around 7pm and utilized the 2 BBQ grills which were very clean and fantastic. We ate at the nice picnic table by our trailer and then headed off to visit the ponds at sunset. Lots of mosquitoes and there was a bit of sewer smell. We wondered if these ponds were actually the leach fields. There was nothing that stated we could or could not fish here which upset my son as it was too late to ask but not sure I would want to fish in these ponds anyway with all the white caking around the ponds.

We then headed to the playground at the front of the park and watched our son play for a while before heading back to the gas fire pits. We made smore's and stayed out until 11pm.

They have a pool and 2 spa's but 1 spa was closed, the hours are 9-9 for the pool and spa's. I didn't bring a suit but my son checked the temperature of the pool when we returned from Mesa Verde and he said it was warm. We also didn't use the showers, restrooms, or laundry area but they had lots of washers and dryers with books and chairs and other reading material. We saw lots of people using these amenities so they must have been nice.

The entire lot is gravel and very level. They have premium sites that are higher for better views and larger vehicles although the views are nice no matter where you are in the park. Most of the sites had full hook-ups or partials. There are about 10 camping spots with electric and a community dish washing station. The office has some basic food and amenities.

Our only complaint was the traffic noise, as it is right off the highway and this is by far the most expensive park we have stayed in, even with the military discount but it is worth it. The weather was perfect for June and it s heavily treed so it's cool.

You will really enjoy this park. The people are nice, they have good rules to help ensure your comfort and they have everything you could ask for in an RV park!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Sierra Foothills
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

excellent on all counts, from the very nice and welcoming proprietors to the wonderfully clean and warm restrooms/showers. even had coffee ready in the reception/store in the morning. there is some noise from the roadway, but we were in a tent. probably quiet enough if you're in a motorhome. oh, and they had a hot tub too (which we didn't use.)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mancos
Far View Lodge
Baymont Inn & Suites Cortez
BEST WESTERN Turquoise Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez
Dolores River Campground and Cabins

Been to Mesa Verde RV Resort? Share your experiences!