“great honeymoon”

Majestic Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Mancos
More attraction details
Owner description: A family-owned and oriented guest ranch nestled high in the pristine wilderness of the San Juan Mountains and just 35 minutes from Durango, CO. Since 1956, Lake Mancos Ranch (now re-named the Majestic Dude Ranch) has been offering our guests a home away from home in the Colorado mountains 35 miles west of Durango. A week-long, all-inclusive dude ranch vacation provides families with a lifetime of memories, whether that means long rides on a mountain trail, guided mountain bike tours, hikes in the neighboring national forest, catching a rainbow trout along the banks of a cool stream, lake or river, or just relaxing by the fire with friends.
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Me and my husband came to this ranch on our honeymoon and we had an amazing time. We went horseback riding, mountain biking, swimming in the lake, hiking, and white water rafting. The staff were helpful and the food was great. We would definitely come again!

All reviews
"opportunities"
in 5 reviews
"generational"

Reviewed June 13, 2013

First off Robert the owner is AWESOME!! He is there all the time hangout with all the guests and just treats everyone with the utmost respect. The staff is friendly and fun and the whole experience is one of the best vacation you will ever have in your life. I could not believe how well organized and accommodating they were. The chef made special meals for my girlfriend for her diet needs and never charged a dime for anything we did while we were there. Even offered to run into town and get some excedrin for me. You will not regret going. GO GO GO GO GO!!!!!!!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Our family of 5 (mom, dad, and teens=19, 19, 17) had a great time. Adventures each day for our 3 day stay. You pick your favorites and they cater it to your ability level. Horse back rides, mt. bikes (easier rides and challenging courses), mt. climbing (12,800 ft), skeet shooting, kayaking, ww rafting (class 2-3), and more. With variety of guests (lots of families, singles, couples, multi-generational families), Excellent food, and helpful/fun staff, it was like a cruise-type of vacation in the mountains, with activities and meeting others from around the country. Loved it!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I want to mention first that this is a solo-traveler friendly destination, since those seem to be hard to find for us. While it's also perfect for families of all ages during summer months, the early season and late season weeks are reserved for adults only, but there are a limited number of rooms available for solos so if you can, reserve earlier (I called last minute but still got in on opening week, before schools let out). The single rooms are available during summer, too, but may be harder to get.

Now...it was awesome! I would definitely do this again and highly recommend this Durango ranch experience to anyone who enjoys an active, adventurous vacation and is up for anything.

My three days were packed full of options. I went white water rafting the day I arrived, then day two included full-out breakfast, three-hour hike up a still partially snow-covered mountain, lunch, hour-long horse ride around a lake, then clay pigeon shooting before dinner. Day three was a two-hour horse ride in the morning and then drive to a local river for fly fishing lessons in the afternoon. Evening options included soccer, movies, and karaoke.

Food was great; three wonderful chefs and all staff and hands-on owner Robert were first-rate in fitting activities and lessons to your level of experience/ fitness and making sure you were having a good time. (I'm 63 and many of the others were 20s-30s but I was never made to feel out of place.)

The only thing I would change is that next time I would stay the full week to have time to do all the activities, which also include mountain biking, kayaking, archery, baseball, ping pong, soccer, and ranch skills (roping, etc).

For the price, which includes accommodations, 3 big meals daily, room snacks, all first-class equipment for activities, trainers, horses, etc, etc, this is a GREAT deal. The only extra to pay is the usual resort fees/taxes and if you chose to go fly fishing, you need a one-day fishing license, which was $9 when I was there.....DO IT!

2  Thank AJ L
See more reviews
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This review is 2 years late, but I came here with my husband's family in August of 2011 (TripAdvisor wouldn't let me pick a date that far back though for this review!) and just had the best time. There were 11 of us, ranging from 1 year old to 60 years old! My husband and I got one of the newly renovated rooms and it was beautiful and comfortable, even without A/C. We had four little ones with us ranging in age from 1 year to 5 years old. They had an excellent baby sitter for the littlest one, and the ones under 5 were entertained by the staff with various horse-related activities. The 5-year-old was in love with her first riding experience and they did great with her and the kids around her age. The adults had a blast mountain biking, doing long trail rides (including a special fishing trip where we had to load up the horses for a drive ...the wrangler was very patient with us on that trip), and just hanging out on the ranch. It was so beautiful out there, and really, the owners and staff were just exceptional.

1  Thank DrKatieA