“An Unforgettable Vacation for the Family!”

Majestic Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Mancos
More attraction details
Owner description: A family-owned and oriented guest ranch nestled high in the pristine wilderness of the San Juan Mountains and just 35 minutes from Durango, CO. Since 1956, Lake Mancos Ranch (now re-named the Majestic Dude Ranch) has been offering our guests a home away from home in the Colorado mountains 35 miles west of Durango. A week-long, all-inclusive dude ranch vacation provides families with a lifetime of memories, whether that means long rides on a mountain trail, guided mountain bike tours, hikes in the neighboring national forest, catching a rainbow trout along the banks of a cool stream, lake or river, or just relaxing by the fire with friends.
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I wanted my children to experience something different and meaningful for our family vacation this year. Rather than sit on a beach all week or try to maneuver around Disneyland, I thought a dude ranch would be perfect and I am happy to say I was right! It was better than any of us expected. Even my husband, who was reluctant to book this trip, had an awesome time! We were most impressed with the friendly, personalized service. Robert, the owner, was like having a brother that shared his home with our family. His staff called us all by name and were always going out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. They had a variety of activities for us to do each day or we had the flexibility to create our own fun, all we had to do is ask and they made it happen. The food was delicious and plentiful. I especially liked that they had fresh fruit and salad with every meal. They even accommodated special diets. We were exhausted at the end of each day having so much fun horseback riding, white water rafting, mountain biking, baseball, exploring, etc. There was something for everyone in the family. My kids were teary-eyed when we had to leave! This is not your ordinary vacation. Be ready to get dirty and have a blast!!

4  Thank Tina R

Reviewed June 19, 2012

My wife and I came to Majestic to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. I have to say that this was one of the best and most memorable vacations we have ever taken. We have been to many dude ranches across the country and Majestic is bar none the best. The owner (Robert Bucksbaum) goes out of his way to please his guests. The staff (Brandon, Jen, Garrett, Josh, Bryce, Lauren, Paul, Brooke, Justin, Nick, Kali.....) are amazing. The food is plentiful and delicious and Robert swears that you will leave loosing 10 pounds. My wife and I rode horses every day and the quality of the horses and tack are exceptional. The trails are truly breathtaking. There were more activities to pack into a day then we had time for. This was truly a majestic vacation worth every penny. We will definitely be back. Thank you Majestic.

Andy and Carolyn

3  Thank Andrew D
Reviewed June 4, 2012

One of the greatest places on earth. Best vacation we ever had. No TV, no telephones, no newspapers, no distractions from the outside world. Relax in total comfort and enjoy a host of activities as you want. Rode horses every day, learned to rope with a lasso, rode world class mountain bicycles on really challenging trails with owner Robert and Jim, kayaked on beautiful Lake Jackson 300 yards from the Ranch, took baseball batting practice on a professional pitching machine in a first class batting cage, played baseball on Robert's "Field of Dreams", went white water rafting, practiced fly fishing casting, enjoyed line dancing lessons (thanks Lauren, Garrett and Bryce), listened to a stunning recital of cowboy poetry around a campfire surrounded by huge Indian tepees (thanks Garrett) and watched movies under the stars for just a few of the activities. The stars were magnificent at that elevation and with no air or light pollution you'll see stars you never even imagined. I woke up at 4 AM a couple times just to look at the stars and the Milky Way. We were pleasantly tired at the end of each day, but had a terrific room and king-size bed with Temper-Pedic mattress for total comfort and rest, and enjoyed outstanding food and desserts at every meal (thanks Paul, and staff and thanks Lauren for the birthday cake as I celebrated 65). The entire staff was extraordinary and awesome. Simply the most accommodating place we have ever vacationed. Robert Bucksbaum, the ever-present owner, is the greatest host imaginable, and his ranch staff are the best. We are looking forward to a return visit. Really appreciated the kindness and caring ways of all the staff, especially the wranglers, (thanks Brandon and Jen).

3  Thank JohnB21701
Reviewed May 31, 2012

The mood and ambiance of an operation such as the majestic dude ranch is determined by the person in charge, and Robert did not disappoint. Every member of the staff reflected his sincere desire to accommodate every guest. We have never experienced such a helpful and entertaining group of young people. We thank you for the wonderful experience. And let us not forget to mention the food. Every meal was excellent, not to mention the presentation (well done Paul, you are an excellent Chef). If you want to have a good time we highly recommend a vacation at the Majestic Dude Ranch.

Larry and Judy

5  Thank horseslarry
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I've just returned from a week-long stay at MDR and I can't say enough good things about my time there! We were picked up from the airport by no less than "the" Robert (haha) - owner of MDR - who teased us about bringing more than a carry on to a dude ranch while he carried out our luggage. There were several of us in the van, mostly strangers to each other - but by the time we reached the ranch we were well on our way to being good friends. It was the same with the staff at the ranch.....they went over and above to make us feel welcome and comfortable.

As far as activities go, I was never bored....horseback riding, kayaking, mountain biking, whitewater rafting, and more.....I even got to refresh some LONG-dormant baseball skills. I felt like a kid again. However, while there so many fun options to choose from, you are never pressured to do anything.....you can do as much or as little as you like.

The cabins are very nice and the food was absolutely wonderful (Thanks Paul!!!).

I really don't know what great things I can say to do this place justice - all I can so is that if you are looking for a fun yet relaxing vacation...then this is it! Just go! You'll love it!!

p.s. The other reviews (with the exception of the less-than-exceptional one...which was bull) are much more descriptive and I couldn't have said it better than they did - so go read those also if you haven't already done so.

Happy Trails!