“We came as strangers, became friends, and left as family.”

Majestic Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Mancos
More attraction details
Owner description: A family-owned and oriented guest ranch nestled high in the pristine wilderness of the San Juan Mountains and just 35 minutes from Durango, CO. Since 1956, Lake Mancos Ranch (now re-named the Majestic Dude Ranch) has been offering our guests a home away from home in the Colorado mountains 35 miles west of Durango. A week-long, all-inclusive dude ranch vacation provides families with a lifetime of memories, whether that means long rides on a mountain trail, guided mountain bike tours, hikes in the neighboring national forest, catching a rainbow trout along the banks of a cool stream, lake or river, or just relaxing by the fire with friends.
Reviewed May 31, 2012

The mood and ambiance of an operation such as the majestic dude ranch is determined by the person in charge, and Robert did not disappoint. Every member of the staff reflected his sincere desire to accommodate every guest. We have never experienced such a helpful and entertaining group of young people. We thank you for the wonderful experience. And let us not forget to mention the food. Every meal was excellent, not to mention the presentation (well done Paul, you are an excellent Chef). If you want to have a good time we highly recommend a vacation at the Majestic Dude Ranch.

Larry and Judy

"opportunities"
in 5 reviews
"generational"

Reviewed May 27, 2012

I've just returned from a week-long stay at MDR and I can't say enough good things about my time there! We were picked up from the airport by no less than "the" Robert (haha) - owner of MDR - who teased us about bringing more than a carry on to a dude ranch while he carried out our luggage. There were several of us in the van, mostly strangers to each other - but by the time we reached the ranch we were well on our way to being good friends. It was the same with the staff at the ranch.....they went over and above to make us feel welcome and comfortable.

As far as activities go, I was never bored....horseback riding, kayaking, mountain biking, whitewater rafting, and more.....I even got to refresh some LONG-dormant baseball skills. I felt like a kid again. However, while there so many fun options to choose from, you are never pressured to do anything.....you can do as much or as little as you like.

The cabins are very nice and the food was absolutely wonderful (Thanks Paul!!!).

I really don't know what great things I can say to do this place justice - all I can so is that if you are looking for a fun yet relaxing vacation...then this is it! Just go! You'll love it!!

p.s. The other reviews (with the exception of the less-than-exceptional one...which was bull) are much more descriptive and I couldn't have said it better than they did - so go read those also if you haven't already done so.

Happy Trails!

7  Thank Julie B
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Made reservation with Majestic. Tried to get two single rooms in the main ranch, but was told I would given a 2 room cabin. Received call back two days later and told I would have to share a room and told my only other option was to cancel as there were no longer single rooms available.

9  Thank Blaine M
rbucksbaum, Owner at Majestic Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2012

We received a request from this gentleman for a two bedroom cabin due to a snoring condition. We were unable to place him in a two bedroom/bath cabin since they are for five people or more. We immediately apologized and made sure his money was refunded same day. Furthermore, we have never asked a guest to share a cabin outside of their own party. Thank you.

Reviewed September 23, 2011

I'm writing this review a little late, but better late than never! I stayed at the Majestic for six nights in July. It was my first vacation solo and I was a little nervous about it. It turned out to be the best week ever! Loved the staff, the scenery, the food, and the other guests were fantastic. The owner was very hands-on and involved in the day to day events, which was very refreshing. The activities involved horseback riding, mountain biking, kayaking, a little hiking, fly fishing, and eating lots and lots of good food! There were nightly events such as kickball, softball, dodge ball and movie night under the stars. My horse for the week was Gussy and she was a sweetheart. There was a little "petting zoo" area with goats, bunny's, donkeys and miniature horses to pet and say hi to. The room I stayed in was the "Kelly" room which had been completely remodeled and it was beautiful. If you love the outdoors, don't hesitate, book now!! I am hoping to return next summer!

12  Thank MICHLYNPP
See more reviews
Reviewed September 20, 2011

There was never a dull or unoccupied minute on this wonderful vacation, except when I chose to be idle. The activities were plentiful and varied, but the atmosphere of the Ranch was relaxed, and focused on accommodating the client.

Robert was like an old family friend, making sure his guests were having a good time. Friendly and supportive, he went out of his way to accommodate every reasonable wish and ensuring that everyone was enjoying himself--even getting up a the crack of dawn so a guest could have a final ride before flying out a 7 AM or giving private riding lessons to those that were horse wary. He even brought me a blanket when he noticed I was cold at the outdoor movie. His staff follows his lead; they were all just wonderful and attentive to detail.

The cabins and rooms are extremely nice, each with a Tempur-Pedic bed and a stocked refrigerator (which was included in the price). There is wi-fi, but no tv....but why would you want to stay in your cabin and watch the tube with so much to do and in such beautiful country!

The lodge is open 24/7 with free homemade cookies, milk and coffee at anytime...and I confess, I did have some midnight snacks... The food was delicious and plentiful;everything is made from scratch. No processed or prepackaged food here. It is fortunate that I stayed so active or I would have surely gained weight.

If you ever wanted to do a dude ranch, this is the place to come. As I said, the multitude of activities beyond horseback riding was astonishing, and yet there was no pressure to do anything. If you want to chill, then just sit back on the porch in your rocker and chill. But if you want to pen cattle, gallop through the pines, fish or mountain bike, your wish is but a request away. And, BTW, there is a professional mountain biker on staff to lead rides at the nearby famous Phil's World and support those that want to mountain bike. (The bikes are higher end bikes--this is serious biking, just not clunkers to pedal around on. Don't be intimidated, though, this is the perfect place to learn to ride or perfect your technique. Nick was very knowledgeable and supportive)

After a fun-filled, busy day, I slept like a baby and felt like a kid again. I haven't been this carefree in a long time.

(BTW--the horses were excellent--no nags here)

13  Thank Sue H