“Every activity imaginable”

Majestic Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Mancos
More attraction details
Owner description: A family-owned and oriented guest ranch nestled high in the pristine wilderness of the San Juan Mountains and just 35 minutes from Durango, CO. Since 1956, Lake Mancos Ranch (now re-named the Majestic Dude Ranch) has been offering our guests a home away from home in the Colorado mountains 35 miles west of Durango. A week-long, all-inclusive dude ranch vacation provides families with a lifetime of memories, whether that means long rides on a mountain trail, guided mountain bike tours, hikes in the neighboring national forest, catching a rainbow trout along the banks of a cool stream, lake or river, or just relaxing by the fire with friends.
Vancouver, Washington
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Every activity imaginable”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

This dude ranch has it all - horse trails for all levels, kayaking, incredible mountain biking on state of art bikes, fly fishing, activities for kids, barrel racing, delicious food and a caring staff. The owner even has built a baseball field for old fashioned family fun - baseball and kickball. This is guaranteed one of your favorite vacations.

3 Thank washingtonmember

Cooper City, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“What a great trip it's been”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We had a great vacation - 2 families, 5 kids aged from 7 to 17 and of course 2 big boys in their 40s. Horse back riding, fishing, kayaking, dodgeball, movie night, rodeo and baseball all rolled into one fun week. The food is homestyle, familystyle and GREAT. Love that there is no soda for kids to hype up on. Love the flexability of everything. If I could list all the staff and single them out with thank yous personally I would but there is a limit on the review. Amazing staff. Keep up the good work. THANK YOU

4 Thank Aimee66
Prescott, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Dude Ranch with a Heart of Gold”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

What do you do with 40 teenagers for an afternoon in Mancos, Colorado? Have fun and dinner at the Majestic Dude Ranch of course! Robert, Ali and the whole staff went above and beyond in so many ways; they fed us a fantastic BBQ dinner that was, I quote one of my students, "the best hamburgers I have ever eaten in my whole life!" The staff was so accommodating and arranged an archery "shoot out" contest that the kids just loved (See picture). Robert taught a group of the kids some tricks to fly fishing, while some the the kids expended energy on shooting hoops. Ali came around with fresh bake cookies just out of the oven for all 47 of us. We even got a "horse-sense" talk from the head wrangler. We arrived in the middle of a fierce thunderstorm and Robert climbed aboard the tour bus to tell stories until the rain passed. Then we started an afternoon of activities that the teens just loved!
What impressed me the most about the place was a comment from one the staff , "What can we do to make sure your kids have a good time?--we want that to certainly happen." The caring of every person we met was clearly evident, from the minute we arrived until our last waves of goodbye.
Our group of low-income, first generation college students had been visiting colleges in the Cortez and Durango area and, fortunately for us, we were able to spend the afternoon with these wonderful and down-to-earth folks....we thank you all from the bottom of our hearts and we won't forget your hearts of gold.
Debbie Opitz, Assistant Director, TRIO Upward Bound, Prescott,AZ

3 Thank opitzd
Mount Airy, North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“The most relaxing action packed week I've ever had!”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

How do you please one pre-teen who is a true nature lover and fisher girl, a teenager who loves horses and a husband who loves action sports and a mom who wants some peace and tranquillity..... you spend a week at the MAJESTIC DUDE RANCH!

They had everything.... fishing, kayaking, white water rafting, petting zoo, a terrific dog, incredible horse program, mountain biking program, kids program (that met my needs), baseball, dodgeball, dancing, movies under the stars, kids camp out, family cook out, cocktail party (again, that met a need), walks to the lake.... the list really goes on.....

The kids program was soo well organized. The counselors were sooo loving and energetic. I always saw a smile on their face. I felt I didn't have to worry about the kids all day. Believe it or not, but this mom got to do things she wanted to do.... I rode horses like crazy and other stuff as well. They divided the kids in age groups and then riding ability. My teenagers loved riding. They both were at different levels and were well taken care of.... one even got to lope and gallop. They also did skits, painting, leather bracelet making, fishing and mountain biking or just played with the animals.

The riding program was superb! The wranglers were so patient with my beginner husband and allowed my daughter and I go on advance rides. There was a ride for everyone. The kids went on kid rides with the wranglers and their counselor and the adults got to do their ride!

My husband got to go rafting and mountain biking... He loved both, but his heart thoroughly enjoyed the mountain biking. The biking director was fabulous!

My pre-teen could not stay away from the petting zoo and the dog "Mike". There were ducks, rabbits, goats, ponies and calves and chickens. We can not leave out all the deer... lots of deer!

My family could not have found a better place to spend our vacation,,,, even with teenagers! I asked them what they would change and they said nothing and when are we going back!!!!

4 Thank cowgirl1234
Henderson, Nevada
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“WOW-Majestic indeed!”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We had the best trip ever! Since we were traveling with 3 generations in our family it was rather difficult to plan a trip to satisfy everyone. This is absolutely the place that accomodates everyone from baby to senior. (We had an 11 month old baby, a 7 year old boy, and several adults ranging from 20's to 50's)
There is so much to experience you will benefit from booking either 10 days to 2 weeks rather than 1 week. Because we wanted to do everything, we were all completely busy from the time we rose until the time our heads hit the pillow. If you wanted to relax, read a book, take a walk, or just do nothing, that was fine too, but we found ALL of the activities so appealing we could not get enough of them. (The horseback riding, mountain biking, kayaking and fishing were among our faves).
Since we all had such a magnificent time I am now trying to get my entire family (4 generations this time) to do a family reunion here. There could not be a more fitting name for this place, "Majestic" says it all.

Visited June 2011