“My kind of place!”

Absolute Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Mancos
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Absolute Bakery and Cafe, is located in downtown Mancos, Colorado, just two blocks south of the town's only traffic light. We bake and cook everything from scratch, using organic, local and fresh ingredients. It's all homemade: from the eggs and hashbrowns, to eclectic soups and salads with our own delicious dressings, pastas from different parts of Europe, and our own red and green chile sauces in a wide variety of Southwestern fare. If you're needing a quick pick-me-up, we have a full coffee and espresso bar featuring locally roasted, fair-trade, organic coffees. The ABC offers you a fine-dining experience without the glitter. Enter the one hundred year-old Bauer Bank Building and immediately you are tantalized by the aromas of fresh breads and pastries coming hot from the oven. Our friendly waitstaff greet you with smiles. The vintage decorative tin ceiling, a variety of tables and chairs, the local artwork adorning the walls, as well as a great selection of used books for your browsing pleasure add to the unique, eclectic and cozy atmosphere that is so inviting to both locals and visitors.
Texas
“My kind of place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

We were on a bicycle tour and arrived just a little before they closed at 2:00.
No problem! The ladies working there couldn't have been more friendly. My turkey wrap was very, very tasty as was the pastry I had for desert. And since they were closing, they offered the left over coffee for free since it would be thrown out otherwise.
I'd be there every day for breakfast if I lived in Mancos. Very warm, friendly atmosphere with great food.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Worth drive from Durango, on way to Mesa Verde”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We were staying at Lightner Creek outside of Durango, so this was about a 20 mile easy drive early Saturday morning. And about another 10 miles to the Mesa Verde entrance (and the start of the climb into the heart of the park). This restaurant looks to sit in the center of the small town of Mancos and you can't miss it if you take Business 160 or just turn at the light at Main along 160, inside a lovely old mercantile or bank building. Homey feeling inside, with mismatched tables and chairs, a fridge of juices, a counter filled with baked goods, and a shelf of books. Outside about three tables and (for good or bad) very bright in the morning hours. We got there early but not too early, about 8:30, and there was a steady flow of customers the whole time (families, visitors, locals, ranchers, etc.). A wonderful breakfast menu! We got a special: eggs Benedict with bacon, avocado and tomato. Heavenly. And a wonderful quiche, wonderful bread, and pancakes for the kids. They have espresso offerings but I will tell you that the self-serve coffee was about the best I've ever had. I was expecting an intolerable wait once we ordered, but it wasn't bad and worth it. Friendly wait staff--four young women were very busy. You can peek into the kitchen and looked to be a chef, a baker, and a couple others. Incidentally, I think they ran out of the eggs Benedict by about the time we were leaving. A place well worth going out of your way for...but it really isn't...just about two blocks off 160.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank bleicherblog
Germany
“Unbelievably cool place: and the food's great too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We almost didn't get to eat here. We pulled in Mancos about five minutes before two, and we didn't know where to stop. Walking up to the front door of the Absolute Bakery, I saw a kid sitting outside, eating mac and cheese (made with penne!) However, the first of our group had entered the door and were saying, "they close at 2 PM....." Then the manager came over and said, "here are some menus. If you can decide and order within the next two minutes, we'll keep the crew here and fix your lunch!" You can't say fairer than that!

The food was excellent, and the service was attentive an quick. The nice thing about The Absolute is that, it's located in such a quirky old building that you lose track of time,waiting for your food, because there is so much to LOOK at in the dining room! (I recommend you take time to examine the ceiling: unless you grew up with your great-grandparents, you will not have seen a ceiling like this much before!

This is a very laid-back, cool place, and not in a "Friends" kind of sense, either! Where else can you hear The Grateful Dead on the stereo, and see people singing along? :)

I loved this place. And then I saw the bakery display counter.....and I was totally in love! The Absolute makes everything in-house, and they have some very unusual, VERY tasty dessert options! Wash down a pumpkin chocolate chip cookie (NOT the kind you find in the chain stores!) with a tall glass of lavender lemonade: mmmmmm good!

Go there. Eat the food. Go away happy. Think of the next time you can go!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Must visit in Mancos”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Great place for breakfast or lunch and they're gluten-free friendly, too. The cafe is in the midst of several fun shops in Mancos. This is a great place to eat and fun town to visit on your way to Mesa Verde or if you want to venture out of Durango.

East Bay, CA
“Best in the west”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

What a find. This little bakery off the main drag is worth locating. Hours are limited and they close at two so get there early.
Context: we arrived at 1:47 on a Friday afternoon with a party of four.
Atmosphere: the bakery is just before a creek through the town and along a tree lined street. There is some outside, shaded seating and eight or so wood tables inside. The place inside is ancient,with wood floors and high ceilings. There is a small selection of high quality used books for sale including sections on the west, gardening and a small fiction section.
Service: we were greeted by a friendly waitress who explained that if we were eating in, we should take a seat and she would wait on us.  We were pleasantly surprised because of the late time we thought they would want us to get the food to go.  Throughout our visit, all the staff was friendly and accommodating and we never felt rushed. In fact, at the end I ordered some tea to go and they just charged me a dollar because I had my own mug.
Food the menu has a selection of sandwiches served on homemade breads, pasta, wraps and special meals. We had sandwiches, including the most enormous BLT ever, it included ham and turkey and was easily enough for two, served with a citrus coleslaw, with tiny pieces of real orange, and served on toasted bread.  A roast beef and cheese sandwich on sourdough was good, and so was a roast beef with green chili on toasted bread. All the sandwiches were good and would ensure our return, but the dessert bars and cookies were exceptional with moist oatmeal crusts and creamy fillings. They have quite a variety from a lemon blueberry with a rich cheesecake filling, to date, to their most popular, key lime raspberry. They also had the best burnt butter cookie. My only regret was I only ordered one. It was very crunchy, toasty flavored and like toffee almost. The only disappointment was the biscotti which had the texture of a dry cupcake. They had 12 kinds of organic teas.
I only wish I had this bakery closer to home.